• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Sugesstions for a 60" EF 3D plane

gyro

GSN Contributor
I'm glad everything worked out. I don't take this stuff personal, so don't think I'm upset. Servo wars bring out the best in everyone :)

I felt based on your post which discussed suggested collusion between all vendors in RC, some clarification on where I stand and where I come from was pertinent.

xlr8tion

50cc
I'm glad everything worked out. I don't take this stuff personal, so don't think I'm upset. Servo wars bring out the best in everyone :)

I felt based on your post which discussed suggested collusion between all vendors in RC, some clarification on where I stand and where I come from was pertinent.

Gary...Thanks for understanding and without team pilots new products would never come out as you guys push the envelope in performance. Karma reversed and Doug emailed me back and said that he has to send the NIB everything as "orders do come down from high" Keeping the peace in marriage is difficult as I deal with it everyday.

Ironically...She says I can buy a 5K Rolex if I want(I like my $500 Citizen Titanium AT Skyhawk Eco Drive)but she flips if I have a 1K RC expenses...which got me the Vyper, the SEB package and 6 Glacier lipos!. Go figure. Need to get her out flying the Apprentice so she digs the hobby. Great news...The Vyoer is arriving today. Time to order that 4320-450. When RCG first did their build they used the hacker A50-16s V1 and said it flew great. Just for curiosity...the HackerV 3 specs say 1250 on the 16S. Ken said the 450 will push the Vyoer at 100 level(that sounds like a Vertical never exceed speed)....what degradation in performance would I see if I used the Hacker 16sV3 in stead-just curious what one would do if Ken was not available with the Vyper. In other words-how anemic is the Hacker 3DHS setup vs a Motrolfly?

Thanks..Greg

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

Gary...Thanks for understanding and without team pilots new products would never come out as you guys push the envelope in performance. Karma reversed and Doug emailed me back and said that he has to send the NIB everything as "orders do come down from high" Keeping the peace in marriage is difficult as I deal with it everyday.

Ironically...She says I can buy a 5K Rolex if I want(I like my $500 Citizen Titanium AT Skyhawk Eco Drive)but she flips if I have a 1K RC expenses...which got me the Vyper, the SEB package and 6 Glacier lipos!. Go figure. Need to get her out flying the Apprentice so she digs the hobby. Great news...The Vyoer is arriving today. Time to order that 4320-450. When RCG first did their build they used the hacker A50-16s V1 and said it flew great. Just for curiosity...the HackerV 3 specs say 1250 on the 16S. Ken said the 450 will push the Vyoer at 100 level(that sounds like a Vertical never exceed speed)....what degradation in performance would I see if I used the Hacker 16sV3 in stead-just curious what one would do if Ken was not available with the Vyper. In other words-how anemic is the Hacker 3DHS setup vs a Motrolfly?

Thanks..Greg

Greg,

Tell her you are buying a Rolex, I'll send you an invoice and a packing slip and a fake Rolex that I can find on the street corner in Chicago. You spend the rest of the money on some super awesome planes and equipment, and tell your wife the new plane was $100 (our standard response to our wives about the cost of a new plane) ;).

I've got a 65" Vyper (yellow) with the Motrolfly 4320 and it is a smoking good combination. If Ken was not there to make his super awesome motors, then we would not have any happy endings or even hope...so just be grateful that he IS there and does make the best motors ever, and don't look back. :)

Can't wait to hear how you like your Vyper...I love mine.

-Mike

xlr8tion

50cc
HeHe...If life were that easy bro...She is smart as a whip(we co ran the biz) in our two offices in Chicago and Lincolnshire. Should have married a dumb blond.

Plus she has CC tracking apps...so that is a prob. Mike..what would you have used if Motrolfly was not an option?

" If Ken was not there to make his super awesome motors, then we would not have any happy endings or even hope"

There always has to be options in life and I was just trying to discern what people would use if the Motrolfly ceases to exist as Ken is a one man hand winder.

Got to have a plan B as if he stops making motors...the resale market price on all hand wound motrolflys will go expo and good luck finding one.

I guess everyone would be pushed back to Hackers.

Hey what esc are you running on that? Can I use a Castle 100 EDGE I have or the ZTW(someone talked about throttle issues with those).

Thanks amigo......Greg

gyro

GSN Contributor
Greg,

The throttle issues are on he ZTW high voltage, and since you're running the Vyper on 6s, that's a non-issue for you.

However, (the down side of 6s vs. HV) is that your amperage will be higher, and so the 100A is the lowest I'd use, but it should work ok: ~2000w / 23.5v = ~85a

Also, if Ken wasn't around to custom build/wind all these motors for us, we'd have to use the factory built motors, and build our setups around the available KV they come in.

An alternative to the DM 4320-450kv is this:
http://www.buddyrc.com/sunnysky-x4130-kv275-brushless-motor.html

However at 275kv, you'd need to run HV, likely 10S to get the same power/prop combo offered by the Motrolfly at 450kv.

SnowDog

HeHe...If life were that easy bro...She is smart as a whip(we co ran the biz) in our two offices in Chicago and Lincolnshire. Should have married a dumb blond.

Plus she has CC tracking apps...so that is a prob. Mike..what would you have used if Motrolfly was not an option?

" If Ken was not there to make his super awesome motors, then we would not have any happy endings or even hope"

There always has to be options in life and I was just trying to discern what people would use if the Motrolfly ceases to exist as Ken is a one man hand winder.

Got to have a plan B as if he stops making motors...the resale market price on all hand wound motrolflys will go expo and good luck finding one.

I guess everyone would be pushed back to Hackers.

Hey what esc are you running on that? Can I use a Castle 100 EDGE I have or the ZTW(someone talked about throttle issues with those).

Thanks amigo......Greg

Using the ZTW 85A OPTO without issue for over two years on 6S

If Ken did not make his special motors, then I would have to figure out something else. Since he DOES and his are THE BEST, I don't have to answer that question, and the reality is "I don't know"...I would have to compare various motors from other manufacturers, including Hacker. I had a Scorpion on the Vyper before the MF, and I smoked it, so I would not consider Scorpion on my short list. I would have to try one or more of the Buddy RC motors, as Gary suggested. The Tacon motors are an option, but most people report they do not hold up well over the long term. Good thing is, I don't have to go there right now, and I'm happy with that.

Have you ever tried to find a Subsonic Motrolfly motor on the resale market? They are already hard to find. :|

Think good thoughts about Ken instead of "what if"...you'll be happier and it will be good Karma for Ken. :)

I use a lot of Hacker motors. Only issue is that they only come in certain sizes and winds. Luckily 3DHS bases their electrics and sets them up for Hacker. There is always stupid expensive Plettenberg.

dougb

50cc
Thanks everyone for the input - the 64 MXS is at the top of my list now. Although the Yak might be really good for roller practice. ;)

This video helped convince me LOL

Doug B.

[video=youtube_share;CLdOuQd7ZMY]http://youtu.be/CLdOuQd7ZMY[/video]