• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Sugesstions for a 60" EF 3D plane

Rich B

50cc
I was considering getting a EF 60" size plane, but wanted to see from the owners of these planes which one they would recommend i.e. edge, mxs, etc. for 3D, acrobatic flying.

Thanks,
Rich B.

AKfreak

150cc
The MXS is wonderful. It is super locked in, it doesn't drop a wing, or rock ever when in a harrier. It will do incredible 3D, tumbles are insane, rolls are super fast. I haven't flown many EF planes, however I will say the 64" (with tips) MXS is a special plane. If you do decide on the MXS, don't get green, it's sometimes hard to determine orientation in the sky. At least it was for me.

Good luck with your quest, AKf

ryan_m

100cc
I don't know that there is a right answer for everyone in this. It depends on exactly what you want out of the plane and your flying style I think.
I've owned and/or flown all 4 of these. For me they lineup like this:
Edge - best for low/slow/close in 3d. Awesome harriers.
MXS - loves to be flown fast and aggressive. Tumbles well, and great pitch authority. Yet still does harriers and low/slow really well too. (my personal favorite of the 4)
Laser - best all around, tiny bit smoother than the MXS, slightly better precision flying. Bigger cowl than the MXS and slightly draggier. 3-4 mph slower in the air than the MXS as a result. Or at least a friend of mine has one with the same setup as my MXS and we raced a whole pack out and came to that conclusion. Otherwise the differences between it and the MXS's flight envelope are pretty small.
Extra - best at IMAC, precision, smooth flying. Still capable of 3d. But I would pick any of the other 3 if 3d was my primary focus. Others feel differently about it's 3d abilities. This is the only one of the 4 I haven't owned, but I have flown a friend of mine's about 10-15 times and find the other 3 to be easier for 3d stuff.

AKfreak

150cc
I dont think a 60" plane would show well at a IMac contest, however I do know you could win with one, no problem

Rich B

50cc
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am looking to go up in plane size... flying in very much wind with my little 48" isn't always the best of fun. Looking for something a little more stable and figured going up a size would help.

dougb

50cc
Edge - best for low/slow/close in 3d. Awesome harriers.
MXS - loves to be flown fast and aggressive. Tumbles well, and great pitch authority. Yet still does harriers and low/slow really well too. (my personal favorite of the 4)
Laser - best all around, tiny bit smoother than the MXS, slightly better precision flying. Bigger cowl than the MXS and slightly draggier. 3-4 mph slower in the air than the MXS as a result. Or at least a friend of mine has one with the same setup as my MXS and we raced a whole pack out and came to that conclusion. Otherwise the differences between it and the MXS's flight envelope are pretty small.

How does the 60" Yak fit into this list?

Thanks,
Doug B.