• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Sugesstions for a 60" EF 3D plane

xlr8tion

50cc
If it is good for the "DOG" its good for me!

I run the d771s in my 71 slick on 7.4v and they work great...you HAVE to run them at high voltage to get decent torque but when you do they are pretty good...they should be awesome on the Vyper...which I also have...running on power hd 1501s which are strong but slow.

Whoa DOG...You are running the 771's on your slick? IM SOLD! You must have had to get horns/hardware for the 23T spline as they come bare bones.

Gary did you know Snow is a risk taker! Wow...You fly like a madman and those 771's have not croaked? I hear they center well.

Enterprise...PM me with what you have in the 770's and 771s please-me likey!

Thanks snow....LMK when that 771 fails and your SlicK hits Crystal Lake!:facepalm:

Just kidding...Hitec is KILLING US with their prices, same with JR and Futaba-REVOLUTION TIME! Its a RC conspiracy.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Whoa DOG...You are running the 771's on your slick? IM SOLD! You must have had to get horns/hardware for the 23T spline as they come bare bones.

Gary did you know Snow is a risk taker! Wow...You fly like a madman and those 771's have not croaked? I hear they center well.

Enterprise...PM me with what you have in the 770's and 771s please-me likey!

Thanks snow....LMK when that 771 fails and your SlicK hits Crystal Lake!:facepalm:

Just kidding...Hitec is KILLING US with their prices, same with JR and Futaba-REVOLUTION TIME! Its a RC conspiracy.

Yes, I knew Greg... he got the Solars from me. ;)

Hitec isn't killing anyone with their prices. You pay for the performance, reliability, and warranty service in the price of the servo.

Try returning a Solar for service....

You get what you pay for in this hobby. I don't recommend building a plane you're not willing to loose with cheap components.

In my hangar, I try to work with the 1/3rd rule. 1/3rd the cost on the airframe, 1/3rd on the engine, and 1/3rd on the servos. For example, 50cc plane:

87" Slick - $559
5x Hitec HS-7954 servos: $475
GP61 Engine $449

Could I build with a DLE55 or AGM55 or something for $175 less on the engine? Yeah.... won't get the same performance and reliability tho...
Same with servos... I could use cheap solar servos... but when they lock up at full deflection during a blender and my plane crashes nose first damaging the engine and totaling the airframe, how much have I lost then?

Bottom line: don't be cheap if can't afford to crash. Save up and wait to buy good parts. they'll last longer and perform better.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I tried solar servos... didn't hold up well for me. I got maybe 20 flights out of them with my brand of hard tumbles and hucking. As was mentioned... they would probably be ok for sport flying. They just aren't very stout when it comes to abuse i.e. 3d and xa flying.

xlr8tion

50cc
I know your sponsor is HITEC

Yes, I knew Greg... he got the Solars from me. ;)

Hitec isn't killing anyone with their prices. You pay for the performance, reliability, and warranty service in the price of the servo.

Try returning a Solar for service....

You get what you pay for in this hobby. I don't recommend building a plane you're not willing to loose with cheap components.

In my hangar, I try to work with the 1/3rd rule. 1/3rd the cost on the airframe, 1/3rd on the engine, and 1/3rd on the servos. For example, 50cc plane:

87" Slick - $559
5x Hitec HS-7954 servos: $475
GP61 Engine $449

Could I build with a DLE55 or AGM55 or something for $175 less on the engine? Yeah.... won't get the same performance and reliability tho...
Same with servos... I could use cheap solar servos... but when they lock up at full deflection during a blender and my plane crashes nose first damaging the engine and totaling the airframe, how much have I lost then?

Bottom line: don't be cheap if can't afford to crash. Save up and wait to buy good parts. they'll last longer and perform better.

Gary...so please don't take it personal. I just flipped when I saw the HS-8775 at 75 each with 125 torque and the 5585s for 70 with 236 torque.(I can get those for 52) Doug A sold me the ARF/Motor/ESC and 4 servos and said this...

"Just to give you am idea of what I have learned in the last decade of flying HARD CORE 3D, for a 39percent Krill they call for 6 ultra high> torque servos that cost about $200 each (keep in mind the rudder needs 3 and the stabs need 4 plus throttle and choke) Well, I fly mine with> 4 5955 on the ails,2 on the rudder and never had a problem....I am great friends with the owners of chief aircraft and they break it down how much everybody in the rc industry is in bed with each other to
push sales..."

Now thats from an awesome 3D pilot and a member of the F5D USA TEAM...so he is no HACK like me.

Those 5995's are 115 each.

So naturally I am confused when 1 servo (a 5995) can cost near the price of a Motrolfly 4315-480.

bear in mind I am 10 per cent of what you will ever be so the 1/3 rule does not apply to me. There has to be "mid ground" between Hitec or bust *solar') and I am sorta conflicted as the Hyperion DS 16FMD and 20FMD you had doubts on and recommended the 770's (which I totally appreciate you searching for) and now they are possibly going to fail.

So, as a ignorant newb-this becomes all confusing and conflated.

I just think you guys are top notch pilots requiring commensurate product. As a hack I probably do not.

So accept my apology if I torqued you off about my Hitec rant. My wife is INSANE about my RC spending and 70 dollars a servo is unfathomable. I a not sponsored so I bear the brunt of every thing. 750 this month alone for the Seb/Vyper/Hacker/EDGE 100 and two 225s and 2 5645's and 250 for Glacier lipos-2 3 2600s 2 4 2600s and 2 6 3300s.

Thats a cool grand and nothing in the scheme of what you guys fly but it just piles up on the bedroom three bed and she is INSANE...

so i will chill if someone will take my wife..she is HOT looking and HOTTER tempered. :tongue::banghead: Shed love San Antonio bro! 4 servos and you can have her! Ok...two!:D

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

Gary...so please don't take it personal. I just flipped when I saw the HS-8775 at 75 each with 125 torque and the 5585s for 70 with 236 torque.(I can get those for 52) Doug A sold me the ARF/Motor/ESC and 4 servos and said this...

"Just to give you am idea of what I have learned in the last decade of flying HARD CORE 3D, for a 39percent Krill they call for 6 ultra high> torque servos that cost about $200 each (keep in mind the rudder needs 3 and the stabs need 4 plus throttle and choke) Well, I fly mine with> 4 5955 on the ails,2 on the rudder and never had a problem....I am great friends with the owners of chief aircraft and they break it down how much everybody in the rc industry is in bed with each other to
push sales..."

Now thats from an awesome 3D pilot and a member of the F5D USA TEAM...so he is no HACK like me.

So naturally I am confused when 1 servo (a 5995) can cost near the price of a Motrolfly 4315-480.

bear in mind I am 10 per cent of what you will ever be so the 1/3 rule does not apply to me. There has to be "mid ground" between Hitec or bust *solar') and I am sorta conflicted as the Hyperion DS 16FMD and 20FMD you had doubts on and recommended the 770's (which I totally appreciate you searching for) and now they are possibly going to fail.

I just think you guys are top notch pilots requiring commensurate product. As a hack I probably do not.

So accept my apology if I torqued you off about my Hitec rant. My wife is INSANE about my RC spending and 70 dollars a servo is unfathomable. I a not sponsored so I bear the brunt of every thing. 750 this month alone for the Seb/Vyper/Hacker/EDGE 100 and two 225s and 2 5645's and 250 for Glacier lipos-2 3 2600s 2 4 2600s and 2 6 3300s.

Thats a cool grand and nothing in the scheme of what you guys fly but it just piles up on the bedroom three bed and she is INSANE...

so i will chill if someone will take my wife..she is HOT looking and HOTTER tempered. :tongue::banghead: Shed love San Antonio bro! 4 servos and you can have her! Ok...two!:D

Greg

Greg,

Try the Solar 771's....keep an eye on them...MAKE SURE YOU RUN THEM AT HIGH VOLTAGE...I had one on the rudder of my 71 Slick that started "chittering" so I replaced it. The other servos I still keep a close eye on. I'm sometimes on a budget too - so I use what I can afford, and just monitor them closely.

Re: your wife...try posting a pic of her in the classifieds...or the swap thread...but do so at your own risk ;)

-Mike

xlr8tion

50cc
If I have to use a crow bar

Greg,

Try the Solar 771's....keep an eye on them...MAKE SURE YOU RUN THEM AT HIGH VOLTAGE...I had one on the rudder of my 71 Slick that started "chittering" so I replaced it. The other servos I still keep a close eye on. I'm sometimes on a budget too - so I use what I can afford, and just monitor them closely.

Re: your wife...try posting a pic of her in the classifieds...or the swap thread...but do so at your own risk ;)

-Mike

I will jam those 771's into the Seb and probably just fork the 224 for 4 5585's delivered for the Vyper .

Have you had probs with the 770.not trying to save two dollars...it's just they are lo pro?

Thanks! Greg

SnowDog

I will jam those 771's into the Seb and probably just fork the 224 for 4 5585's delivered for the Vyper .

Have you had probs with the 770.not trying to save two dollars...it's just they are lo pro?

Thanks! Greg

Haven't tried the 770s, can't say.
If you need low profile, go for it, you are not spending that much for them in the first place.

gyro

GSN Contributor

push sales..."

Greg

Begin rant:

Greg, I make no secret that I support Hitec and they support me... I'm not shilling for them or anyone else. So I don't get the title of your last post addressed to me titled "I know you're sponsored by Hitec"

I stand by everything I said. Things cost what they do for a reason. The major brands have a ton invested in R&D to support high quality with low failure rates, and as many on this forum will attest to, they RARELY pay for service at Hitec, even when they tell Hitec that is was their fault the servo broke. That kind of service costs a few $$ more.... And it should IMHO.

Buy Hitec, Savox, Futaba, JR, or any of the top brands and you're getting a known servo that will preform well.... That's the gist of what I'm saying.

You don't have to follow my advice, and please don't if you have doubts about my motivations.... But I started out buying nice planes with the cheapest components I could find. Sometimes they worked, often times they didn't... And so I ended up paying close to the "name brand" price in the end after buying replacements. So, I speak from experience.

Those who have known me over the course of my 50-60 ARF builds have occasionally accused me of being something of a crusader against crap products at times... And it's true, I have. I want to save others the cost of learning the lessons that I paid to learn.

So yeah, I'm sponsored by Hitec, and I recommend their stuff. I chose to work with them when I founded this forum (LONG before I was personally sponsored by them) and even if I wasn't on their Team, I'd recommend their products regardless because they simply WORK.

End rant. :D

ryan_m

100cc
Nothing makes a great airframe fly terribly more than bad servos. Like Gary I tried to get away with cheaper servos in many of my planes years and years ago. And I was constantly disappointed. I now spend more on the servos than the plane cost quite often, but I am rewarded with a plane that flies the way I like. I'm no expert pilot, not by a long shot, but I can hold my own and tend to ask a lot of my gear. I like to do some of the more aggressive moves that can really put a strain on components that aren't up to the task. So I spend the money on them and no longer think twice about it. It was hard at first to accept that, but I have no regrets in buying the pricier equipment. I am finding that I would rather have 3-4 planes that are setup with really good gear than having 6-7 planes that are all using mediocre stuff. But that's just me....

xlr8tion

50cc
Gary....

Please reread my post objectively please. The title of my post was based on the simple observation of the bottom of your info.

Thank you to my Sponsors: Hitec, RedwingRC, BuddyRC, Demon Aero

Then I was careful to apologize in case you might get offended as I knew you are sponsored by saying "

"Gary...so please don't take it personal." and "So accept my apology if I torqued you off about my Hitec rant."

I tried to be truthfully self deprecating by saying.....

"....bear in mind I am 10 per cent of what you will ever be so the 1/3 rule does not apply to me" and So, as a "ignorant newb-this becomes all confusing and conflated." and "I just think you guys are top notch pilots requiring commensurate product. As a hack I probably do not."

Finally to inject some humor...".so i will chill if someone will take my wife..she is HOT looking and HOTTER tempered. Shed love San Antonio bro! 4 servos and you can have her! Ok...two!"

Truthfully I can not understand why you would then say "You don't have to follow my advice, and please don't if you have doubts about my motivations"

We have to remember that I am taking your advice on the 5585's for the Vyoer-the Sebart is a cursed plane that I will fly easy and probably should have sold her as recommended earlier in the thread and kept the Edge as I sold my 3DHS 55" Extra back in 2008 when I detached my retina and they are hard to find ARFs.

So I am just trying to turn a questionable purchase (the Seb) into a low cost mistake. Perhaps I will sell it and buy the new PA XR-52 ARF.

But I remain conflicted on your anger as you recommended the Solars to me over the Hyperions and I believe you sold some to Snowdog who is flying them now?

I am a nobody in this forum as a function of time and experience so again I apologize for upsetting you and you know I hold you in the highest esteem-so I am a bit vexed why you took it so personal when my critique is on Hitec; certainly not you. I don't know if you are a better pilot than Doug A.; but hat is why I put HIS indictment
of the RC industry in as he is hardcore 3D and on the F5D Team USA.

"....I am great friends with the owners of chief aircraft and they break it down how much everybody in the rc industry is in bed with each other to
push sales..." Before you misconstrue that ...I mean VENDOR TO VENDOR That may be why 3DHS STILL says use the Hacker A50-16L in the Vyper-not a Motrolfly?

Who knows....I could put that Hacker in the Vyper and it would be fine for me but again I am dealing with EXPERTS who want 1700-2000W watts vs 1250. I don't know.
What, god forbid, seriously, are we going to do if Ken leaves Subsonic? It's alot of faith to put in one man over the long term? No more hand wound motors-and back to the Chinese heavy bastards. I will buy the motrolfly cause it is the BEST but what do I do if Ken leaves Earth next week and i need work/parts on/for my motor?

Lastly...I find it impossible to believe that there is not a HYUNDAI version of Hitec. A Hyundai Elantra costs less than a Civic but does the job just as well.

Everybody has M.O.'s for most everything in life; and that MOTIVATION was to suggest what I asked for-an inexpensive non 3D servo-that's where the 770/771 came in.

So I guess our date is off for Saturday night?:lovestruck: