• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Aerobeez "BANSHEE" 91" Slick build

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Digging through some of my stuff, it looks like I have some 36" HD extensions which will work perfectly in the tail, and I have a handful of 12" extensions that should work great on the ailerons. My parts list is starting to shrink!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
The servos I opted to go with for this airplane are the Hitec HSB-9485SH servos (9465 on the throttle).
View attachment 48425

These are our more budget friendly, steel gear equipped brushless servos that still feature a constant torque output, lower current draw, and an extremely linear and consistent speed throughout. The 9485 has 361oz/in of torque at either 6.0v or 7.4v, so what voltage you opt to run (be it LiFe, LiPo, or even a 5 cell nickel battery) doesn't matter, you still get the full torque output of the servo. The only changing variable for any of the Hitec brushless servos is the speed of the servo. At 7.4v, the 9485 is 0.15 which is still plenty quick for mostly any type of 3D flying.

Current draw is approximately 1/3-1/5 that of a conventional digital coreless equivalent, and when the servo stalls, it doesn't spike the current through the roof. The circuit is intelligent enough to identify when the motor inside stalls and can adjust the current flow accordingly. Some of the other guys that have been using them have been reporting extremely low current draw and are seeing MORE flights on a single charge- lets me run smaller flight batteries (the Thunder Power 2S 1900 RX packs are what I am using, should still be plenty for a day of fun) and save on flying weight. I'm looking forward to putting them into one of my own personal airplanes for long term use and experience.

FYI, the equivalent conventional digital coreless to the HSB-9485SH in our Hitec lineup is the HS-7954SH. With the 9485's constant torque output, it'll be able to push the surfaces just as well out at the limits of the servos throw. So if you're already running 7954's (or even 7955's) then you can very easily swap to the 9485 and see the same performance, if not better, all the while reducing your current draw.
Good to know about the 7954 option. I do like them. The reduced current draw would be a plus though. What is price comparison Tanner?

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Good to know about the 7954 option. I do like them. The reduced current draw would be a plus though. What is price comparison Tanner?

Price point is close, but the HSB's are a little more depending on where you look. I've seen them under $100 on sale. Tower lists them at $124.99:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEMEW&P=7

But everything at Tower can be had less expensive if you're part of their membership clubs ;)

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Price point is close, but the HSB's are a little more depending on where you look. I've seen them under $100 on sale. Tower lists them at $124.99:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEMEW&P=7

But everything at Tower can be had less expensive if you're part of their membership clubs ;)
I am a super saver member. Love those coupon codes. I have been getting all my 7954's for about 71.00 with free shipping. 7950's... about a buck 22. Most expensive servo's I've purchased thus far are the 7990's I bought for the Yakster. That magnetic encoder is the shizle.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Back to some more assembly. I've sofar done all of the easy steps :D:rolleyes:

Today consisted of bolting the tail wheel in place- you will have to poke through the covering for all of the bolt holes, but the blind nuts are already installed inside.
_MG_5539.jpg

Poke a hole in the top of the rudder for the rudder wire and slide it on through to hinge the rudder to the airplane. Took all of 10 seconds.
_MG_5540.jpg

Lastly, I fitted the tailwheel tiller spring to complete the rear gear assembly:
_MG_5542.jpg

You can also see the retaining collar that keeps the rudder hinge wire in place.
_MG_5541.jpg

Later on I'll start to epoxy the hinges in for the ailerons and elevator.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Back to some more assembly. I've sofar done all of the easy steps :D:rolleyes:

Today consisted of bolting the tail wheel in place- you will have to poke through the covering for all of the bolt holes, but the blind nuts are already installed inside.
View attachment 48512

Poke a hole in the top of the rudder for the rudder wire and slide it on through to hinge the rudder to the airplane. Took all of 10 seconds.
View attachment 48513

Lastly, I fitted the tailwheel tiller spring to complete the rear gear assembly:
View attachment 48515
You can also see the retaining collar that keeps the rudder hinge wire in place.
View attachment 48514

Later on I'll start to epoxy the hinges in for the ailerons and elevator.
Hey Tanner... I just really like that scheme. Other than needing to do a little covering shrinking... (which is normal for a new plane) does it seem the covering is a good fit? Quality speaking...Ultracote or Monokote?

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Really good fit for the airplane! Never seen anything but a GP kit come with monokote, this is a variant of ultracote.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well I spent most of my day trying to tidy up my workshop (it's still a disaster) but at least I got the elevators hinged up and sealed.

Nothing out of the ordinary here. I always dry fit the hinges first and make sure they are ready to go in. Had to trim about 1/16" off of a few of the hinges to get them to seat inside of the horizontal stab properly but once I got that squared away I mixed up a giant mess of epoxy, slathered it on, wiped away the excess, and let it cure.
_MG_5543.jpg

I used the provided sheets of spare covering to seal the hinges since it matched already.
_MG_5545.jpg

They fit glovely!!!!!
_MG_5549.jpg

Up next is the ailerons, then it's just a matter of getting all of the equipment fitted. It's like most of the hard work has been done for you ;)

By the way, not sure if I mentioned this or not, but I always go over all of the covering (before I work on the airplane) with a covering iron- go over all of the edges first then I will run the heat gun over everything real quickly to make sure it's all tight. Experience has taught me that I will need to let it sit in the sun for a few hours and fly it several times to let the covering settle and stretch before I need to go over it once more.