• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Aerobeez "BANSHEE" 91" Slick build

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
For what it's worth, I think a good pilot could handle most any wind...but I have to credit the airframe and design at least a little, (if not a lot) to this latest release from Aerobeez. She looks plenty solid and very agile in the stiff breeze.
More and more I'm liking this plane. Inexpensive answer to the home for my 70 twin. And mostly an offset from the not so inexpensive Winter Yak project. Lol

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Found one more. Oh I do like. Sorry Tanner.... not meaning to jack your thread. You may b!+€h slap me when you see me.:msn_slap: I just had to get an idea of the flight characteristics of this plane. Your thread enticed me so much, I had to do some investigating. Usually when I get to that stage, it's a pretty much a done deal. :lol2:Besides, it would be an awesome beater plane. Especially since I sold "Lil Purp".:spongebob:

Last edited:

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Some SWB bling to get the servo install started... Of course I still have to hinge the ailerons, cut out the pockets, and fit the control horns first, but at least they're ready to go in when that's all done :banana-dance:

20160119_161209.jpg

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Okay, finally got some time to get down into the shop tonight. Only had enough time to get one aileron hinged and sealed up but progress is progress. Also have some more SWB and Fromeco bling sitting on the bench, ready for install.

_MG_5550.jpg

Hoping to get the other wing finished up tomorrow, then at least I can get servos installed and hooked up. Until then...

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Some more forward progress tonight. First up, I got the right wing panel/aileron all hinged up. I will get it sealed tomorrow.

For the control horns, you always want to make sure you cut away the covering from below this little spreader plate. I cut out the slots for the control horns, then dry fit them with the spreader plate in place and then cut around the plate. Then, remove the horns and simply peel back the covering.
20160128_193447.jpg

Make sure you sand up both sides of the control horns as well as the bottom of the spreader plate so they get a good solid bond. Dry fit them in place again and double check to make sure the control horn holes are seated right over the hinge line.
20160128_193502.jpg

If all fits good then get yourself some 30 minute epoxy, mix it up real good and stuff, then coat the control horns, plate, and elevator thoroughly and slide it all in place. Wipe away the excess epoxy with some rubbing alcohol and paper towels for a cleaner(ish) fit. I also like to fit the control linkage in place while the epoxy cures to ensure that they glue in place straight. I took advantage of this curing time to cut out the covering over the servo arm slot and get my servo prepared for mounting.
20160128_194244.jpg

You will need a LONG screwdriver for this since the servo sits WAY inside of the pocket (you can use a small and narrow screwdriver like I did, but it's easier with a larger handle). I always test fit the servo and get it all screwed in place, then remove the screws and servo so I can saturate the screw holes with thin CA to make them nice and solid, give the screw something hard to bite into.
_MG_5554.JPG

Once the servo was in place I slipped the SWB arm on, tightened up the locking screw and the servo horn screw (as you can see, I used a button head hex screw that was included with the servo), and got it all centered up on my transmitter. Since I am using the Maxima 6 receiver which has a 4096 resolution, the servo movement was barely noticeable (even with a long arm) :oblong: A testament to how smooth these servos really are! :banana-dance:

The last step to complete the elevator/stab half was to fit the supplied turnbuckle to the the servo arm and control horn. I swapped out the supplied hardware with 4-40 screws and nuts since the servo arm is tapped for 4-40. Better to have all of the same hardware on everything so you don't have to go looking for different tools when it comes time to work on it.
_MG_5551.JPG

As I suspected, the 9485 servo is EXTREMELY linear, responsive, and precise with zero slop whatsoever. It moves exactly when the stick on my transmitter moves, thanks in part to the Maxima's 7ms latency and 4096 resolution. This should be a very fun and precise airplane to fly :epic::yesss:

As I stated before, I oped to go with 1.5" arms rather than 2" arms. I seem to be able to max out the control surface just fine, but if I wind up not liking the 1.5" arms I can always swap them for 2" arms down the road. I'll of course be posting a flight log.

That's all for tonight. I didn't realize how late it was getting, otherwise I'd have continued on. Will be fitting more servos tomorrow.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Alrighty, did more work to the airplane tonight, we're just a handful of steps away from liftoff!

I wanted to detail how I cut out the covering on the aileron servo pockets. This is how Pilot RC also tells you to do it and quite frankly, I like this method a lot. Has a very clean appearance. Just slice it up like this:
20160129_191354.jpg

Then iron down the covering to the surfaces inside. Trim away the excess and viola!
20160129_191530.jpg

The pull strings are already glued in place inside the wing so I broke them loose and set my aileron servo up.
20160129_191556.jpg

I always use a retaining clip on the servo plug, this is one of the methods that many like to use. I have also used heath shrink and tape in the past, anything will work really as long as it keeps the plugs secured together.
20160129_191635.jpg

Pulled through, ready to screw the servo in. Again, make sure you remove the screws and use thin CA in the holes to harden them up.
20160129_191707.jpg

Last thing to do was center the servo, hook the linkage up, and center the surface. Again, I used 4-40 hardware throughout so I don't have to have a large assortment of tools when it comes time to work on the airplane.

Since I did both panels, I thought it would be appropriate to slip the wings and stabs on to take a few pictures.
_MG_5558.jpg

_MG_5560.jpg

_MG_5565.jpg

Almost looks flight ready!!!!

----------------------------------

DOH!!!!
_MG_5567.jpg

As I was getting the airplane setup for pictures I must have knocked a shovel over and it struck my canopy, breaking a decent chunk off :(:eek: I will have to order a new one, I just taped this one together for now. Not too thrilled I managed to do that before I even got a chance to fly it!! :cryin:

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Great build thread @Xpress . Lots of great pics, tips and info. Plane looks straight up bad ass! Aerobeez has really stepped up its game. Mikey like.

As for the canopy.....Damn the luck.:cryin:
I thought I was the only one that kinda chit happened to.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
@pawnshopmike Aerobeez has really been stepping up the game the past year with the airplanes they've introduced. The 93" Extra 330 SC and the 91" Slick are just the tip of the sword. Recently they just released a new 78" Slick in a badass orange color scheme:

SLICK-540-35CC.jpg

And we've been testing out a 40% prototype (but mostly Santiago):

_MG_7388.jpg
_MG_7391.jpg
_MG_7398.jpg
_MG_7411.jpg
_MG_7419.jpg
_MG_7421.jpg
_MG_7429.jpg
_MG_7430.jpg

There is also more awesomeness coming, but you'll have to wait and see :)