• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

ZDZ USA Is Bringing ZDZ Brand Back to the US! Whoo Hoo!

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
About 14 years ago, I had one of the ZDZ 80 inline twins in a Giles. I was impressed with it. We'll see what the 224 four cylinder has to offer. I am determined to have a four cylinder on my next big project. Love my sons DLE 222, But I also love my 3W's. Looking forward to the results on the 224 ZDZ.

Something tells me a certain "Canadian" will have that info for us:).

91 should be perfectly fine. They list n95 which is the lower of the two grades they sell over there and their measurement system is typically 4-6 more than what we see at the pump for the same gas.

It looks like I was wrong to recommend 93 as that would be roughly equivalent to their n98 and they recommend n95 which is our 91.

Interesting info. Where did you get that?

40:1 is not that different from 35:1 so having to change oil ratio for my DA 60 or any other engines I get wouldn't be that big of a deal. Hell, I might start mixing 32:1 anyways.

Flyrcjoe

70cc twin V2
Hopefully this post doesn't get way off track but a rotary valve engine does need a high quality oil to keep the rotary valve damage free. Seadoo had some of the strongest running engines because of the rotary valve design. But you needed to run their oil for best service life. in the late 90s my 800cc was killing skis in the 1200cc range.

I agree a quality full synthetic oil makes a big difference. I personally run mine on 100ll with redline 32:1.

Flyrcjoe

70cc twin V2
The bolt pattern is the same and they all have rectangular ports. Maybe not be the exact same shape. The cylinder offset is opposite DA 100 if there are any asymmetrical options out there. Not sure if volume would make a difference using 100 size mufflers on a 112.

I think they had a 112 on DA mufflers in the rccanada testing thread.

I still need to get a set of compacts ordered one way or another so I don't know for sure yet, but the drawing shows the bolts being 40mm apart and they measure 40mm apart.

We will be stocking JMB bolt on mufflers. Once we receive our first shipment we will have it all on the website.

Flyrcjoe

70cc twin V2
I have been running avgas for years in all brands of motors with absolutely no problems. I run 100ll redline 32:1. Getting avgas is easy, if the airport has a self serve it is much like a regular car gas pump. If not they can bring the gas truck over to you and fill up your cans. Yes you can run regular pump gas. 91 octane will work. Your motor will run great. The reason I switched to avgas years ago is smell and slower evaporation. I also have found the av gas to be more consistent in being a high quality fuel with no water or junk in it. My planes, trailer, hands, and shop no longer have a strong gas odor either. In the spring after setting my planes aside for the winter I have no problems getting my motors to start right up. I have actually tested this and it seems to prove itself over and over. If you set two planes aside for 3-4 months (winter) one having run av gas and the other having run pump gas. The one with av gas will always start right up. The one with pump gas tends to need the carburetor cleaned first.

This is what works for me. I have spoken to ZDZ about this specifically. It is agreed that the higher octane is great for the motors because of antidetonation and lower temperatures.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
No water in the fuel is key. Typically aviation grade fuels get filtered with "coalescer" and "hydrophobic" elements to remove standing water and "entrained" water (water that is actually diluted in the fuel) . Anti icing agents also added. Fuel line freeze up was the biggest concern. Typical paper elements to filter out particulates to less than .01ppm. However most of us will never fly high enough to have any "icing" issues. Keeping fuel systems clean and your gas can clean and sealed during storage is very important. For those of us that have to run pump gas I find 87 octane does better to keep engine running cooler. I have tried 93 and found no power advantage and actually lost power because the engine would heat up faster under load. It is a good idea to try and make a filtering system that you can circulate your pump gas in the can before using it in your plane for better debris removal.
As far as additives.......sea foam.......stabil......etc.. Small engine manufacturers will recommend it because they want you buying more of their small engines. Water and particulates are fuels and your worst enemy.