• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot RC YAK 55

Bemeson

50cc
13970=7908-IMG_1326.jpg
13970=7908-IMG_1326.jpg
Well Folks,

I was lucky enough to fly the Yak 55 one time today. The winds were blowing 15 mph hour, but I decided to give it a wirl. I will say the plane flies very nice and it felt quite light on the wings. I only flew it for a few minutes as the motor (GP61) has been a royal pain in the A**. I will say this will be my last GP61.

When the motor runs it is a horse...Swings a Falcon 24X8 at 7000 rpm at 5900 ASL, but it has been the most troublesome motor I have ever had. It has gone back to Kole once, and I have messed with it for 10 hours or more. It has the most horrendous mid range burble I have ever heard, and its not getting any better. It runs quite warm (190-225) static, even though it runs as though it is terribly rich. I believe someday when company can get the bugs sorted on this motor it may be a good one.

Back to the plane.....after I got the CG sorted, it flew awesome. I am really lucking forward to flying this plane often. I will tell you that the AW Yak 55 and the Pilot Yak are two different creatures. The AW excels in precision and is pretty horrible for Freestyle or 3D. It wing rocks like crazy in hover and it not very stable in harrier. The pilot on the other hand tends to lend towards Freestyle and 3D, but preforms precision pretty darn good. I think this plane will suit my needs perfectly.

I will update as I get more time on the plane and motor.

Super08

70cc twin V2
Brain that seems to be what I have found with all Aeroworks and Pilot planes. AW in general are much better at IMAC type flight and Pilot for 3D stuff.

Bemeson

50cc
Super08;13995 wrote: Brain that seems to be what I have found with all Aeroworks and Pilot planes. AW in general are much better at IMAC type flight and Pilot for 3D stuff.

Doug,

I do think this plane will preform Basic and Sportsman routines with ease. Not sure about anything higher as I can't do them. I really think I am going to be really happy with this plane. It definitely is more fragile in places, but I will keep an eye on it

Brian

Super08

70cc twin V2
They have held up good for me, it is pretty hard to find anything built as rugged as AW are. Even then they have had problems with wings on certain models along the way.

Ant

50cc
Great looking scheme..I've only witnessed 2 GP 61's and both are under repairs, different problems, but repairs.

Bemeson

50cc
Well Kole finnally answered my questions about the motor. He advised that I could try retarding the ignition to get the terrible burble out. I will try, but I am not very hopeful. This motor has been on two airframes and both times the same result.

Brian