• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot RC YAK 55

Bemeson

50cc
I am sure all you folks see that there is a Pilot name before my build and are wondering what the heck is going on. I lost my beloved Aeroworks Yak 55 and I wanted something different and I wanted to see how the Pilot Yak compared to my AW yak. It's almost completely done with a few exceptions

If any of you folks have suggestions, concerns, comments, about this plane let me know. It's the 88 inch version in racer red and it will be powered by 60 cc motor and of course Savox servos.

Brian

Ant

50cc
We have a 30% and 40 % flying at my club, they are both really nice planes, the 40% has the largest ailerons I've ever seen.

How would you compare them quality wise?

-Rick-

100cc
I have the small 30cc Pilot Yak55m. It is the first Pilot plane out of the four I have had that has incidence and thrust line problems. Not to hard to work out and it fly's great now.

Bemeson

50cc
Some of the items in Pilot builds are great. Some things not so much. The plane is built quite light and I am not so sure it will sustain the test of time. I really like that you install the firewall exactly where you want it. I can tell you this plane came out way nose heavy even with me installing the rudder servo in the tail. Right now I will have to install the batteries damn near in the back of the plane just so the plane will CG correctly. Not sure why it was done this way. I will fill you in a week or so how it comes out.

Brian

Bemeson

50cc
Well went to CG the plane yesterday....pretty dissappointed as the plane was way nose heavy with the rudder servo in the tail. I will end up placing the batteries three formers back from the rear edge of the canopy. That is two fromeco 2600 batts there and still will need more. I wouldn't be so dissappointed but this plane was built pretty standard with no extra weight placed in the front of the plane. I mounted the motor with only a 1/8 gap between spinnner and cowl to make sure the motor was back as far as it could go. I know this is not optimal on a Yak, but I feared that this plane would be nose heavy and it was. I will try to move the reciever and regulator back further, but those are very light. I will remove the ignition battery off the front and place it further back in the fuse. I had placing ignition batteries in fuse, but that is me.

Here is a picture of the plane.

Brian

2258=1169-IMG_1261.jpg
2258=1169-IMG_1261.jpg
2258=1170-IMG_1262.jpg
2258=1170-IMG_1262.jpg

Super08

70cc twin V2
Brian it is too bad yours is like that. One of my very close friends has one with a DA60 on it and he says it is the best 30% plane he has ever owned. He started flying his last year. I wonder if there was a change to the plane or if yours just has different weight of wood or something.

Edit: To add to the mystery I am pretty sure he has a pull pull and made no mention of balance issues. I will give him a call and ask.

Bemeson

50cc
Doug,

I bought the plane because I have heard the same things. Don't worry I am scratching my head trying to figure this out. The plane is beautiful to look at, but I admit I was pretty spoiled with AW stuff. I will get it sorted out but it just did not appear it well thought out. I assumed I was going to be tail heavy....go figure.

The engine is the dubious GP61 which is a bit heavier than the DA, but that should not have made a real difference. Donnie at Chief says his is set up like mine and his batteries are in the tail as well. The only difference is his motor is set 3/4 inch further forward than I.

I will work on it this weekend as I am a bit burned on it right now. I will say it should show up nicely in the air.

Brian

Pbilt024

70cc twin V2
I had one for 2 years with DLE-55 and pull pull. the batteries were mounted and the wing tube and cg was spot-on. I can't imagine what's going on with that one.