• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot RC YAK 55

Congrats on the maiden Brian. Hope you get the GP going. I've been waiting to get some real world reviews on the GP's. On the other site it's all dealers saying what a great engine it is, but I would rather hear from customers...

Bemeson

50cc
Flatspinjim;14873 wrote: Congrats on the maiden Brian. Hope you get the GP going. I've been waiting to get some real world reviews on the GP's. On the other site it's all dealers saying what a great engine it is, but I would rather hear from customers...

I could give you an earful but I will refrain myself :eek:range:

Brian

Flatspinjim;14873 wrote: Congrats on the maiden Brian. Hope you get the GP going. I've been waiting to get some real world reviews on the GP's. On the other site it's all dealers saying what a great engine it is, but I would rather hear from customers...

Stick with what engines you know, Jim. I had a 61. It started easy, ran well. Guess it is luck of the draw. Some have been having carb issues, but the timing seems not to affect the burbling sometimes. I think it is a 50/50 shot there. I ran the Falcon CF 24x9 on mine, and it was a rocketship!

There is a core group of guys in OH who run nothing but the GP's. 1 guy has a 123 that will run good, for a few flights, and then will act like the ignition is bad. Starts and dies. Seems like it happens on back to back flights, almost like the carb gets heat soaked. I don't care for that group, as they want to shove those engines down your gullet.

Bemeson

50cc
Well Folks

I got some serious flying in today. My impression of the plane....Hell Ya I really like it. I will say that it does everything very nice, flies very light, and I think it will do both IMAC and 3D. I have it trimmed out now and the plane required a little rudder to elevator and rudder to aileron mix in knife edge. The CG is on the back edge of the wing tube and the plane flies almost hands off inverted. It requires just a hint of down while inverted. I have one click of elevator and one click of aileron trim. The plane lands like a foamie and is super forgiving. I think its a keeper and it will very difficult for anyone to pry this out of my hands. Thanks [MENTION=99]Flying Skunks[/MENTION] for the tip.

Now on to the motor.....I spent another two hours messing with the needles till I have it pretty solid. I will say the mid range still is not smooth, but livable. This motor has been the biggest pain in the a%% to tune. The bottom is decent and the top is perfect. from 3/4 and up the plane pulls like a horse. The prop that is on the plane right now is a 24X8. It turned 7050 on the ground, so I think some time in the near future 24X9 may be in its future.

I need to get the static temps down a bit to make me feel better, but its looking pretty good. I am very sorry the IMAC season has come to an end as this plane is going to do very well as it tracks like an arrow. It also stalls very gracefully and predictable. I am stoked and it takes quite a lot to get me this excited about a plane. I am super shocked that this plane has not really been that popular as it flies damn near perfect.

Also, this plane is going to get the brand new Savox SB2282SG servos in the elevators now that I have sorted it out. I did not want to place the servos in the plane until everything was trimmed and close to perfect as I wanted to compare the old servos to the new ones. If all works out, this plane will have the 2283 servos through out and it will become my IMAC only plane.

My Edge has the 1283's. I think that plane has over a 1000 flights on the original servos with no gear set changes what so ever. It has had a new elevator half and new rudder, so I think the Edge has been darn good.

For those of you that may think you want this Yak 55.....its AWESOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME....Yep I said it and I think you will to once you fly it. I will tell you it caused quite the stir at the field I fly at this morning....everyone was shaking their heads in disbelief.

Oh one last thing....this paint scheme is far wilder than anything I have flown before and its shows up super nice. It does look pretty busy in the air, but I really like it.

Brian

I am very glad you liked the plane ..was it not as I said ? The plane is a BLAST ..here's a pic of the 33%er getting wrung out on its maiden ..it has 2270's on A123's ..Perfect ..on High rates I have low deflections ,

Elevator 65 deg up , 55 down

Rudder is stab to stab

Ailerons are 55 degrees up and down .

A touch on the tail , low rates are for IMAC ..120 on Pipes

15828=10795-IMAG2448.jpg
15828=10795-IMAG2448.jpg
15828=10797-IMAG2452.jpg
15828=10797-IMAG2452.jpg
15828=10796-IMAG2454.jpg
15828=10796-IMAG2454.jpg

Bemeson

50cc
Flying Skunks;15828 wrote: I am very glad you liked the plane ..was it not as I said ? The plane is a BLAST ..here's a pic of the 33%er getting wrung out on its maiden ..it has 2270's on A123's ..Perfect ..on High rates I have low deflections ,

Elevator 65 deg up , 55 down

Rudder is stab to stab

Ailerons are 55 degrees up and down .

A touch on the tail , low rates are for IMAC ..120 on Pipes

Donnie,

You were right and I really appreciate all the help and the tip on awesome plane. I think this plane may be the most under rated plane I have ever flown.

Thanks again

Brian

Tseres

150cc
It's nice that you finally got to fly it. Glad you enjoyed it. Now you better burn some gas before the weather gets to the indoor season.

Super08

70cc twin V2
Below freezing here this morning. Only going up to about 45 today. :(

To think we were hitting 90 a couple of weeks ago.