• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 70" Velox

Ok guys. Flew the mess out of the velox today. Installed a bigger prop, much better now on power. Still have one issue. This plane for some reason doesn't tumble or pop top like the slick. The slick does them better. So im asking is it the equipment or set up? Running dead neutral with 68* of elevator throw. Full rudder and 40* of aileron. This is set up with hitec 985mg servos at 6.3volts.
My slick is set up with 7985 servos at 6.7volts and 63* of elevator, 45*aileron, and full rudder. Oh and dead neutral cg.

So how do l get the velox to ball up better.

SteveT.

100cc
Ok guys. Flew the mess out of the velox today. Installed a bigger prop, much better now on power. Still have one issue. This plane for some reason doesn't tumble or pop top like the slick. The slick does them better. So im asking is it the equipment or set up? Running dead neutral with 68* of elevator throw. Full rudder and 40* of aileron. This is set up with hitec 985mg servos at 6.3volts.
My slick is set up with 7985 servos at 6.7volts and 63* of elevator, 45*aileron, and full rudder. Oh and dead neutral cg.

So how do l get the velox to ball up better.

Maybe too much elevator? And definitely faster servos in the Slick..... You're a much better flier than I am, so only conjecture on my part...

SteveT

SteveT.

100cc
the schemes on this airframe are just beautiful!!!

Yes they are.....and mine is just about done!! Though I am a bit disappointed that with the Hacker A60-5XS it is coming out a bit nose heavy. I may have to have my friend with the CNC mill lighten the back-plate he made for me, and I may have to figure out a way to lighten the stand-offs too. They have long steel bolts, and with the weight of the motor, To balance it it with a Thunder Power 6S 65C 5000mAH pack, all the way to the wing tube it would take about 1.25 ounces of lead in the tail to get it to balance at 150mm back, which is the rearmost suggested balance point for first flights. If I wanted it any more tail heavy it might need more.....and I hate putting lead in a plane.

SteveT

SteveT.

100cc
So.... on a previous run-up of my Velox with a Xoar 18X8, I got these numbers, using a Globee tach and a "Watts Up" meter....

on Thunder Power 6S 65C 5000mAH packs and default settings on Castle ICE100 ESC, with a Xoar 18X8 (suggested prop), I got 7320 peak RPM (actually varied a bit as I was trying to hold both the plane and my Glo-Bee tach at the same time, while my wife ran up the throttle). 24.17 volts, 72.2 amps, and 1648.3 watts (Checked with a "Watts up" meter). Both the watts and amps are pretty low, and since the motor is rated for 2500 watts peak, this means a larger prop could definitely be used.

Yesterday, with a Xoar 20X10, the wires on my "Watts Up" meter were getting hot, but I was showing 91.66 amps, at 23.92 volts and 2,080 watts, and again with my Globee tach, I was showing 7020 rpm...

I usually don't use the logging on the Castle ESCs, but after talking to Kyle at Aero-Model I decided to try it. At first, I couldn't get it to work (I was using my old laptop), so, it took me a few tries which is why the voltage is down a bit, but here is what I got with the logging....

Volts=23.3 max, 20.3 minimum
Amps=100.1 max 33.3 average
Watts= 2163 max 722 average
RPM=7079 max 3721 average...

Even with the partially discharged packs, 2163 watts (235.10 watts per pound) should be enough to pull a 9.2 pound Velox around quite smartly!! Especially, since you really can't compare the input wattage of a 28 pole motor to a 14 pole motor....

SteveT

Attachments

• Velox.png
    Velox.png
    115.1 KB · Views: 312
Last edited by a moderator: