• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Sugesstions for a 60" EF 3D plane

gyro

GSN Contributor
in the midst of a busy stretch, not much flying. :(

had a sebart sebach... didn't keep it long. More of a sport/precision plane... there is a reason few of the big 3D vendors carry sbachs. their design is beautiful, but doesn't translate into a good 3D plane IMHO, they're just not super well rounded.

The EF Extra or Laser are their precision planes... the Edge is a harrier machine, and the MXS is the violent tumbler. Have built/flown them all... and they all do well. very subtle differences.

65" vyper will drive you nuts trying to 3D it. it's a great precision plane tho, taught me a lot of my knife edge skills and confidence. lots of fun to fly FAST.... and looks awesome doing it.

take care

xlr8tion

50cc
Would you sell the Sebart to buy a 65" vyper? Shannon still has a 65 Vyper and I will be doing very little 3D....Both use the Hacker I have and I know I can sell the 58" EDGE....although I may keep that as they are hard to come by and AWESOME!

Thanks for your advice.....Long to short.....Which is more sport/precision....61" Sebart Sbach 342 or 65" Vyper? I am waiting back from Shannon who sold me the EDGE...her has the Vyper and was asking 300 ....If you think it is a better airframe than the Sbach 342 I will dump the Sbach for the vyper....Precison flying we are talking about.

Mine is RWB....LMK if it is a wash..The Sebarts are PRICEY....better be made better for that diff!

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/seb-se50-yb.html

Thanks.....Greg

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Would you sell the Sebart to buy a 65" vyper? Shannon still has a 65 Vyper and I will be doing very little 3D....Both use the Hacker I have and I know I can sell the 58" EDGE....although I may keep that as they are hard to come by and AWESOME!

Thanks for your advice.....Long to short.....Which is more sport/precision....61" Sebart Sbach 342 or 65" Vyper? I am waiting back from Shannon who sold me the EDGE...her has the Vyper and was asking 300 which is the going rate at 3DHS....I'll offer him 250 if you think it is a better airframe than the Sbach 342

Mine is RWB....LMK if it is a wash...I have heard QC probs with the Sebarts...

Thanks.....Greg

I'd rather have a vyper over a sebach. but that's me :)

don't focus on the money part... read the reviews of both online, and pick which one will suit your flying style and appearance tastes.

good luck

xlr8tion

50cc
Thanks man! Very few reviews of the Sbach.....Especially the Sebart 50e.......not many sold I guess. See Sbach 342s everywhere-but not Sebarts.

Thanks......Greg

In the end bigger flies better. What you are asking for is the very definition of the EF 78 Extra. Still fits in the car and flies like a 50cc. I know that plane gets expensive to ship. The EF 70 Extra EXP might be a good fit for you. It flies clean lines and is $390 and can be built around 9.5 pounds electric. Uses standard servos which can be had for cheaper than the 7245s the 60" EXPs need, but you still need minis in the tail.

I flew mine on a Hacker A60-6XS. Sell the Hacker you have and get a 4330-400 for 6s 5000 fun. You can fly a bit heavy and parallel 2 6s 3300 and reuse your 60" packs, or run 12s 3300 on a 4330 or big A60. Here is Cody beating on my old one.

[video=youtube;I6QmLWVR7P0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6QmLWVR7P0&list=UUGYtp7SI5T3EsRmnTpYn6dQ[/video]

xlr8tion

50cc
Bought the Vyper 65"

In the end bigger flies better. What you are asking for is the very definition of the EF 78 Extra. Still fits in the car and flies like a 50cc. I know that plane gets expensive to ship. The EF 70 Extra EXP might be a good fit for you. It flies clean lines and is $390 and can be built around 9.5 pounds electric. Uses standard servos which can be had for cheaper than the 7245s the 60" EXPs need, but you still need minis in the tail.

I flew mine on a Hacker A60-6XS. Sell the Hacker you have and get a 4330-400 for 6s 5000 fun. You can fly a bit heavy and parallel 2 6s 3300 and reuse your 60" packs, or run 12s 3300 on a 4330 or big A60. Here is Cody beating on my old one.

[video=youtube;I6QmLWVR7P0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6QmLWVR7P0&list=UUGYtp7SI5T3EsRmnTpYn6dQ[/video]

Enterprise...thanks for the info. Thats my next year plane. The WAF(wife acceptance factor) is LOW here and just spending 220 dollars for HS 5585 servos would send her off on a rant...Throw in 200 for a Motrolfly and someone is calling the COPS.

I have a certain level of learning to do so I can bring her out to the flying field and get her flying the trainer and then she will understand the addiction and FREAKING BACK OFF. I totally agree but 1000 an AC is my limit and I am not in Cali where you can buy these built at 60 cents on the dollar so I have to build my dreams in a field of screams.

Moral.....don't get married and if you get divorced.....don't get married again.:megaroll:

Getting one of these below 1k would be a challenge. I assume you have 6s 3300s or something like that so a 12s HV setup would be more budget friendly. 4330-195 or 206 would be the choice and that is a little over $200 and the airframe will be $440 shipped or something like that. You are close enough to attend events EF goes to so you could save a little on shipping.

A HV controller would be under $150 for a ICE2 HV 120 as they are for sale on ebay. There is also a Hobbywing one that is pretty economical. I would not steer you toward a Gecko HV until they solve the throttle response issue.

The one area you could go budget on is servos. Unfortunately the 7245s are the best for the elevator halves on this airplane and they are just under $60 each with tower coupons.

This puts us a little over $900 already and we have not yet gotten a RX, 3 main servos, prop, spinner, or arms.

There is a thread I did last year on a blingy 30cc versus a budget 50cc and this plane would not be a budget 30cc.

Some would say to use a budget motor like the Tacon 110 and run 8s, but I think the motor is the heart of the experience and Motrolfly or Hacker is worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
I built an Aerobeez 71 Extra electric with the 4330 motor last summer and it came in about $950 not factoring in taxes and various accessories, I'm loving it, it flies great. I went with XQ Power servos which were half the cost of Hitec and performing great, that's how I got it under the usual $1200.

xlr8tion

50cc
Thanks guys.....The lastest dilemma is finding servos for my Sebart 61" which calls for JR PROPO DS9511 6.2kg/cm torque??? and those are 25.2x 19 x 40.5mm I think.

Any idea what the Hitec or XQ Power servo equivs are to this?

http://www.macgregor.co.uk/jrpropo/DS9511.htm

Thanks guys and Enterprise I will check that bling. thread you spoke of and i had not heard about the ZTW Gecko as i was going to use this on the Vyper with the 4320 400 or 450

http://www.buddyrc.com/ztw-gecko-125a-aircraft-esc-with-8a-sbec.html

Thanks guys...I am learning so much from you guys and I appreciate it!

Cheers!

Greg

I would get the 155A as it is only a few bucks more, 5 grams heavier, and in stock. If my Jeti/Mezon experiment goes well I will sell you mine as it literally has only had bullets soldered onto it.

That is a low profile servo. I don't think there is a XQ, but here is the Hitec.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDEAY&P=7

Use coupon codes and you can usually get 15% off if the basket lines up with the correct amount.