• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Sugesstions for a 60" EF 3D plane

ryan_m

100cc
That I couldn't say, have never flown it. All of the Yak 54's I have had in the past had lots of wing rock in a harrier, though I've read that the new EF one is solid there. Yak's are typically very good at rolling moves.

I have one on the way, but it won't be flown till next month as it is going to spend the winter in Tucson with my family so I can go visit it during the snow months.

From what the team pilots say it's strong point is what Ryan says with rolling maneuvers. My 110 yak was also great at low and slow as it slowed down so well with that huge fuselage.

I have not yet got to fly a 64" MXS, but the 60" Laser is a hard act to follow. If you are new to 3D, then the edge is the way to go. That is one comfortable plane. Get the R/W/B scheme as the Blue/Yellow/Silver is aweful on overcast days.

dougb

50cc
Thanks guys.
I have the 48" EF Edge and am happy with it other than it's size for my old eyes. Inverted & upright harriers are great fun and knife edge is easy until I fly too far away LOL. Tumbles are great but my knife edge spin entry doesn't always work. More practice I'm thinking.

I'm looking for the next step or two in my 3D quest. The 64" MXS & 60" Laser are on the short list. The 76"/83" MXS also interests me as a big E power plane with some wow factor. I tend to fly in the wind more than not so size will help with my eyes plus dealing with the wind when low & slow.

The Yak certainly interests me for rolling practice. It seems from my reading that some Yaks fly low and slow great and others don't - wing rock.

Choices, choices. LOL

Doug B.

I have flown the 60" Extra and the 60" Edge - I like the Edge better. The Edge is a wonderful advanced 3D trainer and is easy for me to see in our gray skies. People say EXtra tracks better, but IMHO no 60" tracks well enough to impress me. They do 3D great and are just easy to throw in the car and go.

I am looking at getting another 60" offering from EF and my preference the MXS is out of stock. Bummer!

RKEstes

50cc
Doug,

My 60" EF Edge is my "comfort" plane. It's a great airframe. I put a Demon Cortex Gyro in it for those windy days and it is just sweet in the wind. like it so much I have a backup airframe NIB sitting in the corner. That being said my 64" MXS on HV servos makes me giggle every time I fly it! If you can afford it skip the 60" planes and get a 30cc or larger. Easy to see and bigger does fly better in all aspects. Jusy MHO. :)

xlr8tion

50cc
I currently have a 58" Edge 3DHS and a 61" Sebart Sbach 342-both way beyond my skill sets unless on low rates high expo.

My question is which would be a stable sport aerobatic that I can learn 3D on in the 48" to 55" size....

I have a 48" EF Edge with a Torque 820/Airboss 45 I just traded for.....Should I give that a go or just stay with the 6S splendor I have(that plane gets insane fast in a hurry). What's the diff between a Vyper and a Laser....Looking for something I can switch the motor/esc when I erase this 48" Edge..LOL.

Thanks.....Oh..I had a PA Bandit on order(special price) for two months but cancelled my 475 order to fund the crack addiction of the completion of the 58" Edge (motrolfly, servos, rx and more crack) as well as my Sbach which was sent with underwhelming servos but an awesome Hacker A50 16s!

So what I have to fly right now is my Apprentice S 15 Trainer, my Carbon Z Splendor and a 48" EF Edge I have not bound to my new 2014 DX6 as it has a AR600X RX and not sure if thats sketchy or not and I may putthe AR610 in that that came w/the TX cause it will do Telemetry.

Sorry about my wandering there...Thanks!

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:

xlr8tion

50cc
Ryan.....I am thinking on selling my NIB (Double Boxed)3DHS 58" Yellow EDGE 540

I emailed them today and they are thinking the yellow MXS will be back around mid november... no promises though.

For a larger Laser or Vyper....I just bought the 58" less than 60 days ago an it is sitting on my spare bedroom bed.

What's the diff between the MXS and the EDGE?

Cheers...Greg

gyro

GSN Contributor
For a larger Laser or Vyper....I just bought the 58" less than 60 days ago an it is sitting on my spare bedroom bed.

What's the diff between the MXS and the EDGE?

Cheers...Greg

MXS is a little more violent. Edge a little bit more high alpha stable.

xlr8tion

50cc
Hey GYRO...What's the flying been like days?

Thought the 64" MXS was more precision oriented. How about a 65" Vyper?

Oh...hey have you ever flown the 50e variant of the 61" Sebart Sbach 342...I have one on the way with a NIB Hacker A50 16s....If that is a "DOG" I may sell the Sebart and just use the electronics in a larger ARF. I am starting to collect to many ARF's and need something that can handle the wind as I will be doing very little 3D in the next 6 months just Precision Aerobatics....Any 3D I can do on my 48" EF EDGE EXP Laugh as you may that $179 Eflite Splendor gets busy on 6S.

The field is so windy where I fly I am trying to get bigger and heavier. So I may sell two Airframes and stay with one larger one (58" EDGE and SBACJ sold for ?

We were flying in 30 mph winds today and that Splendor was penetrating 1/2 as well as some of the 50 CC's...I exaggerate a bit but a 3D pilot was impressed with flying the Splendor after flying his 50cc SBach.

LMK bro and alway GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU!

Hope you are well bro....

Greg

Last edited by a moderator: