• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Sugesstions for a 60" EF 3D plane

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Greg can you get the loose wing to fit on if you put it on first? If that is the case the other wing would not sit flush. I'm just wondering if you have some glue or something at the end of the recieving tube on one wing. In some instances I have actually seen the wing tube be a few mm too long. I ended up cutting a few mm off the tube on my last 51" AJ Slick.

xlr8tion

50cc
Greg can you get the loose wing to fit on if you put it on first? If that is the case the other wing would not sit flush. I'm just wondering if you have some glue or something at the end of the recieving tube on one wing. In some instances I have actually seen the wing tube be a few mm too long. I ended up cutting a few mm off the tube on my last 51" AJ Slick.

3dmater...

Awesome suggestions! I will first clean the cf tube with acetone to remove any residual CF that may have gotten on there. To check the CF tube problem I can slide the tube on enough( 1 inch shorter) to approximate the left wing but not bottom out the tube if it was too long. I think if it was too long it might push the Right wing put as I tried both on at the same time. I am not sure what you call the the few crossbrace penetrations though the fuse that are about 4 mm long and 2mm high but one of those is protruding through the fuse...I will try all and report back...Thanks so much! You guys are great!

SnowDog

3dmater...

I am not sure what you call the the few crossbrace penetrations though the fuse that are about 4 mm long and 2mm high but one of those is protruding through the fuse...I will try all and report back...Thanks so much! You guys are great!

are you talking about the anti-rotation pins?
these are situated fore and aft of the wing tube socket and keep the wing from rotating on the wing tube during flight.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
[MENTION=3386]xlr8tion[/MENTION] I think a pic or two of what you are dealing with is/are in order. If you are talking about the anti-rotation pins then I would just fly the plane. A little gap is fine (for flying) as long as the anti-rotation pins are secure in the holes in the fuse that receive them and the wing fits against the fuse snugly at the wing-bolt. We don't want to be deforming the wing former, or more likely the fuse, with the wing bolt.

xlr8tion

50cc
Greg can you get the loose wing to fit on if you put it on first? If that is the case the other wing would not sit flush. I'm just wondering if you have some glue or something at the end of the receiving tube on one wing. In some instances I have actually seen the wing tube be a few mm too long. I ended up cutting a few mm off the tube on my last 51" AJ Slick.

BANG! Garry and 3DNAter you guys nailed it...Put wing on first....put talc on CF tube and it took some gentle and firm twisting but she went in and stayed flush...so I will gently dowel sand the L wing tube...Thanks guys....

Hey...How come its ok to run 5245s on the MXS (85oz at 6 v) yet t3eh vyper calls for crazy hi torque(over 200oz)? The MXS is a much more violent plane than the Vyper....Can you use the same torque servos on the Vyper or do they not have enough torque? I can get the 5585's for 55 a piece but they are double the torque and I think only run at 6 and 7.4..I will be running a Castle Edge 100 I have (NIP) or a ZTW and sell the castle. So I need internal BEC friendly and wallet friend Hitecs for the Vyper 65. Do I need 200 oz of torque on the Vyper 65? Why not on the MXS then? Same sized AC.

Thanks.......I took that weight off the tail it weighed 1 ox...What the?

BTW...This guy used a Deans Ultra Power Pole connector to the Airboss and gave me a Deans T adaptor....That is coming OFF! I am going to standardize all my larger planes to either Deans T or EC5's enough of all the connector madness on these different planes...

Cheers...Greg

Last edited by a moderator:

ryan_m

100cc
First off, look at the respective weights of the 65" Vyper and the 64" MXS, not the wingspan. The MXS is about 6lb. The Vyper is 8.5-9 if memory serves from the one I used to own. That's a HUGE difference. And also the the 5245 is noted to be on the short side of needed torque. Yes, it will work, but the plane does benefit from more torque.

xlr8tion

50cc
So Ryan....

Do I need 200 oz of torque.? Like the 5585's? 3DHS range is 150 to 350 oz torque. You are right on the weight....7.5 to 8.5 lbs.....

5585's were recommended? Sound reasonable...Running a Hacker A50-16sV3 with a ZTW 125 GECKO? Those do near 200 on 4.8V

gyro

GSN Contributor
So Ryan....

Do I need 200 oz of torque.? Like the 5585's? 3DHS range is 150 to 350 oz torque. You are right on the weight....7.5 to 8.5 lbs.....

5585's were recommended? Sound reasonable...Running a Hacker A50-16sV3 with a ZTW 125 GECKO? Those do near 200 on 4.8V

ZTW gecko has an adjustable bec, you can run standard 6v or HV 7.4v servos.

ryan_m

100cc
What style of flying are you looking to do on the Vyper? Tons of high speed XA type flying with tumbles, pop tops, walls, and other manuevers that use full deflection elevator at high speed? Or are you planning more of a pattern/precision flying style with it, along with an occasional hover/harrier mixed in? For the latter you would probably be just fine with a 100 oz servo, as there wouldn't be much force on the control surfaces. For the other, with higher speeds and full deflection rates you might want to consider a servo towards the upper end of the range. I used HS-985's on mine way back when and never noticed needing more in it. I wasn't as aggressive a flyer then either, mostly low/slow 3d stuff. If it were me I'd slap an HS-7955 in it, but only because I have sorta begun to standardize on that servo. They work well, and can often be found used for about 60-70/each.