• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Starting DA-150

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
Igni. battery charged? Will it pull fuel, by that pull fuel up to carb from tank? If it's pulling fuel and no popping off, you're right to start looking at igni. or igni. battery. When you flip it, are you flipping hard? my understanding is the da igni. need certain rpm to make correct spark Honestly I'd pull it send it to da for check up, specially if you got a few weeks to spare.

js-rc

70cc twin V2
Igni. battery charged? Will it pull fuel, by that pull fuel up to carb from tank? If it's pulling fuel and no popping off, you're right to start looking at igni. or igni. battery. When you flip it, are you flipping hard? my understanding is the da igni. need certain rpm to make correct spark Honestly I'd pull it send it to da for check up, specially if you got a few weeks to spare.

I'm not even sure it's pulling fuel yet on its own. I had the plane inverted when I put gas down the mufflers which then means the tank was below the carb, so have to try that test again . Yes, ign. battery is fully charged & runs through the regulated SmartFly setup. Yes, plus I get what looks like a week spark when I flip that eng. real fast, flipping slow won't produce any spark. Sending it to DA is probably the wisest thing I could do but shipping just there is over 50 dollars !! Ha!! I like to try to figure this out myself, just need more good weather to try stuff. The with DA wanting 170 dollars for a new ign. if it needs it is making it a little difficult, ha !! Oh well, I still may send it in though, just want to exhaust all my possible solutions if I can.
Thanks again Chicken Balls !!

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Is there anyone in your area that has a known good ignition you can try? Another thing you can try is running something like a LiFe or A123 straight to the ignition without the SmartFly just to eliminate that as a potential problem.

Another tip, when starting a dry engine you can loosen the big screw on the carb and "slightly" pressurize the fuel tank. The fuel will fill the line and wet the carb. Once you see fuel at the carb just tighten the screw.

yakken

100cc
Take the plugs out and let the plug caps dangle. Flip the engine over like you would to start it with ignition on. If you see any spark on or around the caps you have a plug boot that needs replaced. The spark will follow the least resistance. I usually try this in my garage with the lights off.

js-rc

70cc twin V2
Is there anyone in your area that has a known good ignition you can try? Another thing you can try is running something like a LiFe or A123 straight to the ignition without the SmartFly just to eliminate that as a potential problem.

Another tip, when starting a dry engine you can loosen the big screw on the carb and "slightly" pressurize the fuel tank. The fuel will fill the line and wet the carb. Once you see fuel at the carb just tighten the screw.
Hi Jetpainter !! No, I'm the only one in my area with one of these engines, so I may purchase a new one down the road. Good idea too when I get back to it, I will try a LiFe or A123. Can I try my Fromeco 2 cell straight to the ignition too, I think it's 7.4 volts though.
On my carb, there are 4 bolts on each of the plates unlike the smaller ones with one bolt, though I know what you mean I think. I'll try that too !!
Thanks a lot for the info !!
John !

js-rc

70cc twin V2
Take the plugs out and let the plug caps dangle. Flip the engine over like you would to start it with ignition on. If you see any spark on or around the caps you have a plug boot that needs replaced. The spark will follow the least resistance. I usually try this in my garage with the lights off.
Oh, ok Yakken !! I can try that too !! Oh, I think I have a nimha battery I can put directly to it & see.
Thanks for that, much appreciated !!
John !

js-rc

70cc twin V2
7.4 is too much for a DA ignition other that the newest one I believe.

Geez, now that you mention that, I believe at some point this winter, I plugged that 7.4 battery into the ign. to check spark, but then I realized it was too big & tried a 6V. nimha. I wonder if that's why I get what looks like a week spark now ?
Thanks Jetpainter !!