• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Starting DA-150

sweetpea

100cc
That seems very low! Most ignitions operate in the 4.8-6V range. You should be seeing a touch higher. Is that SF regulator adjustable (they normally have short out pins on the side that move the voltage up or down if it is adjustable)

I'm not a DA ignition guru though (3W is a different story). I do know that one of my 3W ignitions ran like crap and would either wouldn't start or would die all the time because a battery wasn't giving it enough voltage. 3W's you can run a 7.4v battery straight because it can take over 8v. My MPI regulator puts out 4.9v for the DA ignition I have on a 3w motor. I also have a Cactus aviation replacement module which is a like an RXCEL that has a SF 5v regulator on it and it works fine.

I would really try a new battery that gives you 4.8v that doesn't need a regulator.

js-rc

70cc twin V2
That seems very low! Most ignitions operate in the 4.8-6V range. You should be seeing a touch higher. Is that SF regulator adjustable (they normally have short out pins on the side that move the voltage up or down if it is adjustable)

I'm not a DA ignition guru though (3W is a different story). I do know that one of my 3W ignitions ran like crap and would either wouldn't start or would die all the time because a battery wasn't giving it enough voltage. 3W's you can run a 7.4v battery straight because it can take over 8v. My MPI regulator puts out 4.9v for the DA ignition I have on a 3w motor. I also have a Cactus aviation replacement module which is a like an RXCEL that has a SF 5v regulator on it and it works fine.

I would really try a new battery that gives you 4.8v that doesn't need a regulator.

Oh, wait, I meant to type 5.02 volts instead of 4 !! I don't know why I typed that, sorry, I must be getting older, ha !! I have a 4.8 & a 6volt nimha I can try later also !!
Thanks again !!
John

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Just a suggestion the voltage you checked was loaded or just testing the voltage at the unit and no load. I have had a problem once everything is fine but as soon as it got loaded the voltage dropped like stone. This may not be overkill but we are looking at everything to see why it will not start. Minimum 3A load.

js-rc

70cc twin V2
Just a suggestion the voltage you checked was loaded or just testing the voltage at the unit and no load. I have had a problem once everything is fine but as soon as it got loaded the voltage dropped like stone. This may not be overkill but we are looking at everything to see why it will not start. Minimum 3A load.

Not sure how to make it load but what I did was put my voltmeter at the end of the Smartfly regulator where it would plug into the DA ignition. In other words I plugged the volt meter in where the ign. would plug in & just turn my SmartFly on & that's the reading I got. Hope that makes sense !!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Hope I explain this correctly. You have 5 volts at the terminal of the regulator. So if you need a 2 to 3 amp load you need to do the following. 5volts/ by 1.5 ohm will give you a load of about 3.33 amps. So if you have a resistor of 1.5 ohm or 2 ohm it will give you enough load to see if the regulation and the battery is ok.

js-rc

70cc twin V2
Hope I explain this correctly. You have 5 volts at the terminal of the regulator. So if you need a 2 to 3 amp load you need to do the following. 5volts/ by 1.5 ohm will give you a load of about 3.33 amps. So if you have a resistor of 1.5 ohm or 2 ohm it will give you enough load to see if the regulation and the battery is ok.

Oh, I am pretty dumb when it comes figuring that out. I do have a bran new 2 cell Fromeco, 7.4 battery hooked to the regulator. I do have the Horizon Hobby amp meter too that I could put between the ig, reg. & the ag. on the eng ?
I sure appreciate the help but I don't know much about that load !!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Let's get one thing straight nobody is dum we all have our strong and week points. I am not home right now later will make a sketch and make photo and send to you and hope that helps. When it comes to programing I need all the help I can get.

Reactions: Jlc

js-rc

70cc twin V2
Let's get one thing straight nobody is dum we all have our strong and week points. I am not home right now later will make a sketch and make photo and send to you and hope that helps. When it comes to programing I need all the help I can get.

Oh, thanks snoopy1 !! Yeah, I have a hard time with programming too !! I'm more of a mechanical guy or parts changer sometimes, ha !!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
When you connect the resister on left it puts a load on the battery and the regulator and when you do this the voltage will drop from the 5 volts a little if it drops more than 1/2 volt then something needs to changed. Hope this helps you.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 280