• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Need some help

thurmma

150cc
Went out last night for a couple of test flights. CG is about as close to dead on as it can get. 45 degree upline inverted has a very slight drop of the nose. The lateral balance was not providing consistent results. The was some gusty winds and one time it would be wings level the next it would drop to the right and the next would do something different. I will be trying the lateral balance flight testing the next time I get out and there is less wind or at least less gusty wind. I did try the right thrust test, which is the next trim test in the trim order and got pretty consistent results of falling to the left and toward the belly. It didn't seem to matter if it was with the wind or against the wind, so I am pretty sure I need to add a little bit of right thrust. Now to find some shims somewhere. Anyone have a source for angled shims?

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
I've seen some people use the shims for automotive starters, they're open ended so you dont have to fully unbolt while your trimming.then, once your all set up and trimmed measure the amount of shim you used, get or make angled washers , mc master carr I believe has them, most folks just use a flat washer.do not leave the open end shims in place, they will work their way out.

I just use small washers and have never had a problem. The SWB off set mounts work great too once you decide hom much right thrust you need.

thurmma

150cc
IMAC FANATIC;12169 wrote: I've seen some people use the shims for automotive starters, they're open ended so you dont have to fully unbolt while your trimming.then, once your all set up and trimmed measure the amount of shim you used, get or make angled washers , mc master carr I believe has them, most folks just use a flat washer.do not leave the open end shims in place, they will work their way out.

Didn't think about that :) Thanks!

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
Find the ones for import cars, since were only working with 1/4" bolts and bend the ends so they cannot slide out from vibration.

Or make some out of 1/16 or 1/8" aluminum stock.

And hes right the SWB degreed motor mount is best once you know the thrust you need, I find washers, even fender size crush into the motor box after time unless you cut a cool carbon fiber back plate for them to ride on first.

Robotech;8984 wrote: Well dang. I'm in the South East. If you're ever around Little Rock I'm a member of a club there with several great IMAC pilots (me not included).

yeah right!! you are awesome!!! you are being too modest!!!

I am surprised that no one has mentioned to you the Training Program located on www.mini-iac.com under the Training tab.  It has a self downloading program that allows you to run it.  Also, there are several other helpful aids at that same training tab.  Read through them all then burn gas!!  BTW, the simplified version of the Peter Goldsmith article that someone included earlier shows that before you do anything else (beside basic trimming for left/right, up/down) get the CG correct as most everything else changes when you change the CG!!

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.