• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC learning and support using flight videos

Just figured I'd chime in and throw this in here for people interested.

When it comes to recording, I use Fraps. It's available from Fraps.com I believe, and sets ya back about $30. It's a fantastic piece of software, but I will warn you. I don't suggest putting the money down for this, unless you've got a high end PC. Recording and editing really push a computer, and often most general use PCs will fall to their knees trying to run Real Flight and Fraps at the same time with any reasonable frame rates (ask me how I know) Also, it's hard to get a reasonable video out of real flight demonstrating straight lines, no drift and so on. Something I've struggled with in my videos to get "okay". It's a decent tool for practice, but for real practice, your time is better spent burning gas.

On the IMAC portion, a lot of good has already been posted here. Unfortunately the IMAC region I am in is all but dissolved. I don't see flying any IMAC for a good while down here. But my pattern experience does benefit me in a precision standpoint, and I do remain knowledgeable about IMAC. I will say this, IMAC is a good tool, a lot of fun, and a great resource for knowledge. Even just practicing IMAC (in my opinion) can better your skills and your level of understanding of what's going on with your airplane in the sky.

I'll do my best to keep an eye on this thread and offer opinion where I can. Y'all seem to be doing a really cool thing here, and I hope to be a part of it.

Thanks
Brian

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Just figured I'd chime in and throw this in here for people interested.

When it comes to recording, I use Fraps. It's available from Fraps.com I believe, and sets ya back about $30. It's a fantastic piece of software, but I will warn you. I don't suggest putting the money down for this, unless you've got a high end PC. Recording and editing really push a computer, and often most general use PCs will fall to their knees trying to run Real Flight and Fraps at the same time with any reasonable frame rates (ask me how I know) Also, it's hard to get a reasonable video out of real flight demonstrating straight lines, no drift and so on. Something I've struggled with in my videos to get "okay". It's a decent tool for practice, but for real practice, your time is better spent burning gas.

On the IMAC portion, a lot of good has already been posted here. Unfortunately the IMAC region I am in is all but dissolved. I don't see flying any IMAC for a good while down here. But my pattern experience does benefit me in a precision standpoint, and I do remain knowledgeable about IMAC. I will say this, IMAC is a good tool, a lot of fun, and a great resource for knowledge. Even just practicing IMAC (in my opinion) can better your skills and your level of understanding of what's going on with your airplane in the sky.

I'll do my best to keep an eye on this thread and offer opinion where I can. Y'all seem to be doing a really cool thing here, and I hope to be a part of it.

Thanks
Brian

Thanks Brian. Snowdog started a great thread at a good time IMO. I've seen it really work for myself and others in my short two years back in the hobby. Really having fun with IMac and XA. Great motivators up here in the Northeast.

Last edited by a moderator:
A better pilot is at the bottom of that gas can... no truer words were spoken. Someone told us that once. That advice is good for forever.

dth7

That's an awesome quote. Simply awesome. I was always told "can't is not in a real man's vocabulary."

When my 7 year old says "daddy I can't". I tell her "I don't know Hannah "can't". I know who Hannah "try" is!

Another item to touch on here for someone with IMAC experience. That being a good basic IMAC plane and radio programming (rates/expos) setup. I.e. most guys I know that first get into learning 3D go with a hardcore hucking setup with extreme maximum throws on everything, and then later on attempt to fly some precision with the same setup, and wonder why they can't hold a straight line.

dth7

Another item to touch on here for someone with IMAC experience. That being a good basic IMAC plane and radio programming (rates/expos) setup. I.e. most guys I know that first get into learning 3D go with a hardcore hucking setup with extreme maximum throws on everything, and then later on attempt to fly some precision with the same setup, and wonder why they can't hold a straight line.

Absolutely. This should give you a starting point. Low rates to a "hucker" are "insane rates" to an IMAC pilot. Three position rate switches are a great help here. Of course rates and expo and gimbal tension are all very personal things. But a general start that I have found to help is setting my rates for the maneuvers being flown and no more. Then "trimming out" rough edges with expo. For instance, set your elevator up for a good stall, spin and snap roll, your aileron for a nice, controlled roll rate. Rudder can stay at med to high rates for the most part. I've been messing with stick tension lately to minimize inadvertent center slop in between maneuvers (thinking about the upcoming pull or push and starting early).
As you mix disciplines together in a flight and even in a sequence (depending on the plane, I find on the sim (RF 6.5) it is tough to get low rates that will spin or snap very well at all) it will be necessary to do some switch flipping but its much easier than trying to fly precisely with big throws. I like independent switching, others prefer one switch and others use a hybrid. Listen to someone flying XA and you will likely hear switches clicking.
Cody has helped me quite a bit, thanks for being a great coach bud! If you are fortunate to have someone more skilled nearby its well worth it to give them a tug and discuss it. We recently lowered my elevator even more to about 20% of my high rates (120-140%) for instance.
Hope that helps give some a start.

As far as a plane for Basic or any IMAC flying. An airframe that can hold a good line certainly helps and is actually a necessity if you want to have some success. The idea with basic is getting out there and doing it with what you have. If you have the funds there is no limit. Generally what I see are 30-170cc, 50cc and 100cc still being very popular. Extras- 260,300,330, Yaks- 54,55, Sukhoi- 26,29, Ultimate biplanes and I predict you will be seeing gas Lasers in the 30-50cc on the scene real soon based on the performance and popularity of the EF 60" ( just sayin!). That's my short list. It is a very personal thing. For my money I say you can't go wrong with a good Extra. Size- of course bigger is more stable and will present better but don't let that deter you from competing. I've seen 42" electric Slicks to 100cc $10K Cardens compete in basic. On a budget, a nice 60" extra will be a great start and makes for a fun all around plane too. Gas is the general rule for flight time if nothing else. You'll want to be able to do 2 sequences in a typical "known round" so that's about 6-8 mins. I did see that 42" slick run out of juice once or twice in windy conditions but hats off for trying.
Try not to let it be a size and money competition. If more "average" planes and pilots start flying basic the competitions will be more well rounded and promote precision flying rather than a pilot's "toy box" or bank account.
That's more than enough for now.

3dbandit

100cc

I have been flying IMAC for a few years now, and I have seen all kinds of planes fly basic IMAC.

As Daren said, you don't need to have a big expensive plane to fly basic IMAC.

For basic IMAC, the 60" Extreme flight planes are great. I highly recommend the 60" Laser for basic IMAC

(I am using a 60" laser with a 5000mah battery for my backup Plane this coming season for Intermediate IMAC).

dth7

I have been flying IMAC for a few years now, and I have seen all kinds of planes fly basic IMAC.

As Daren said, you don't need to have a big expensive plane to fly basic IMAC.

For basic IMAC, the 60" Extreme flight planes are great. I highly recommend the 60" Laser for basic IMAC

(I am using a 60" laser with a 5000mah battery for my backup Plane this coming season for Intermediate IMAC).

I don't know why THAT slipped my mind! I've been "selling" the Laser to everyone I know. Absolutely the 60" Laser will be a fantastic airframe for all around and IMAC and with the bigger batt the iMac "rounds" will be no issue at all. You must get 10+ mins of iMac flying out of the 5000!
I guess I had my extra rebuild on my my mind. Keep in mind that the 60" Extra is no slouch either.
Bottom line- get a good setup, start practicing and compete if you can. If you can't get to a competition you will reap the benefits of your practice- win-win! Have fun.