• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC learning and support using flight videos

SnowDog

Okay, so here's the idea...many of us have expressed a desire to learn the IMAC basic sequences and others. For many of us, competing in an actual IMAC competition is not available for many reasons: time, money, equipment, etc.

But is that gonna stop us from learning? NO!
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? ;) NO!

So how do we increase (perhaps from nothing) our IMAC knowledge? This thread was created to start an informal "online IMAC training/support" community - each person submits a video of their IMAC sequence and the rest of us provide feedback/judging with respect to how well they did. For those of us in the winter season, perhaps we could record IMAC sequences flown with RealFlight!

We can also provide information on IMAC basics like what the sequences are, links to training videos on how to fly the sequences, the role of the spotter, how to read aresti diagrams, etc.

So here are some of the first questions I have that I would appreciate thread posts to answer:

What is IMAC?
Is there a website for IMAC? If so, what is it?
What is aresti?
What are IMAC sequences and how do I learn them? How often do they change?
(I'm approaching this from the standpoint of someone who has never heard of IMAC before.)
What type/size of plane do I need to fly an IMAC sequence?
What is a spotter and how are they involved? What is their role?
Who judges IMAC sequences and how are they qualified to be instructors?
How long of a flight time do I need to perform an IMAC sequence?

Those are my initial questions; I would guess others have some too, so drop in to this thread and contribute your knowledge or register your interest!

Last edited by a moderator:

cardenflyer

70cc twin V2
Maybe we could start an informal "online IMAC training/support" community - each person submits a video of their IMAC sequence and the rest of us provide feedback/judging with respect to how well they did. I'd like to do better at IMAC but I'm not ready for contests.

I'd be happy to help with what I know. I'd say something like help with individual maneuvers would be very helpful!

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
This is a great idea. I'd be in because there's not much in the ways of IMAC around for me except for maybe one event in Columbus, Ohio.

SnowDog

awesome...let's start a new thread on this topic...I'm so buried in work right now that I shouldn't even be posting right now!
Jeff, feel free to start a new thread on this...I"m sure you can find the right forum for it, and if not, I can always move it later. ;)
I'm really excited about this guys!

Ok, obviously these posts have been moved to a new thread (thanks Gary)...read post#1 and start sharing all your IMAC info with us newbs! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

There's an App for that!

Found this link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.darajabmobile.imaclite&hl=en

Description
The International Miniature Aerobatic Club (IMAC) is an organization dedicated to the competitive sport of radio controlled Scale Aerobatic competition.
IMAC Lite is the limited free version

It's designed to enhance your IMAC experience by giving you resources on the go and at the field with your mobile device, But to truly get the full experience you should check out IMAC Pro here on Google Play.

Notes:
-This App needs a pdf reader installed for reading pdfs'. Most devices come with one but if not, 'VuDroid' is an excellent free one here in the market.
-pdfs' are not included in the app. When you choose one from inside the app it is downloaded from the web and saved to your sd card, from then on it loads straight from the sd card. This way only the files you actually need are stored, saving you space and increasing performance.

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
As far as what aircraft? For basic, any aircraft can be used (even a trainer if one desires). For sportsman and up, it has to be a scale model of a full scale aerobatic aircraft. Typically there's not a restriction on size but 50cc and up trend to be the most common as they are easy for the judges to see and they present well (I'd still run 20 and 30cc myself because of vehicular restrictions).

There's a judging school. I'm not sure if it's online or in person.

Aresti is a catalogue of maneuvers and their icons. The icons are what is listed in the sheet that shows each sequence and that maneuver's difficulty rating. It's the same catalogue as full scale FAI aerobatics.

The caller signals to the judges that the pilot has entered aerobatic airspace (pilot can also signal by rocking his wings). The caller also tells the pilot upcoming maneuvers in the sequence.

IMAC also has freestyle.

Notable IMAC pilots are Daniel Holman, RJ Gritter, Gernot Bruckman, Gabriel Altuz, Joe Smith, and Andrew Jesky. (YouTube them) (I know I'm forgetting a few)

Some notable events are XFC, Clover Creek invitational, Tucson aerobatic shootout, and there's a period during Nats for IMAC.