• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC learning and support using flight videos

3dbandit

100cc
I don't know why THAT slipped my mind! I've been "selling" the Laser to everyone I know. Absolutely the 60" Laser will be a fantastic airframe for all around and IMAC and with the bigger batt the iMac "rounds" will be no issue at all. You must get 10+ mins of iMac flying out of the 5000!
I guess I had my extra rebuild on my my mind. Keep in mind that the 60" Extra is no slouch either.
Bottom line- get a good setup, start practicing and compete if you can. If you can't get to a competition you will reap the benefits of your practice- win-win! Have fun.

I actually only get 5.5 minutes of IMAC or 3.5 minutes of XA on the 5000mah battery, but my esc is tuned for better power and much less flight time.

All good points indeed. And I would add, though not all inclusive by any means, something along these lines:

The first step begins with tweaking the airframe's control surface linkage to give only the amount of deflection needed to pull off the most demanding IMAC maneuvers, and no more.

I.e. with the TX end-points and servo travel settings at maximum, choose the push-rod to servo arm pivot point that just gives the amount of control surface deflection needed. Doing so will make available the maximize resolution that both the radio and servos are capable of.

Next comes test flying, setting up low rates, test flying, trimming, test flying, optimizing CG, test flying, and it goes on and on:)

Yeah, the 60" Laser is a must have. I fly mine more than my other planes, and two of those are 30cc electrics. Can't wait for Chris Henson's next Laser EXP offering:) Especially waiting on a 50~60cc version.

Last edited by a moderator:

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
All good points indeed. And I would add, though not all inclusive by any means, something along these lines:

The first step begins with tweaking the airframe's control surface linkage to give only the amount of deflection needed to pull off the most demanding IMAC maneuvers, and no more.

I.e. with the TX end-points and servo travel settings at maximum, choose the push-rod to servo arm pivot point that just gives the amount of control surface deflection needed. Doing so will make available the maximize resolution that both the radio and servos are capable of.

Next comes test flying, setting up low rates, test flying, trimming, test flying, optimizing CG, test flying, and it goes on and on:)

I'm sure what you are saying is best if you want to really focus a plane on exclusively flying precisoin. What if I want to do some imac and 3d on the same plane... often in the same flight. I noticed in Scott Stoops book he recommends setting aside a certain percentage of every flight for practice... that means I probly want 45 degrees of throw for the other parts :D. Keep in mind... I have one flyable plane in my hangar right now ;)

Do I need to sacrifice 3d flying on that plane to learn precision?

Last edited by a moderator:

dth7

I'm sure what you are saying is best if you want to really focus a plane on exclusively flying precisoin. What if I want to do some imac and 3d on tje same plane... often in the same flight. I noticed in Scott Stoops book he recommends setting aside a certain percentage of every flight for practice... that means I probly want 45 degrees of throw for the other parts :D. Keep in mind... I have one flyable plane in my hangar right now ;)

Ditto. I'm all for multi-purposing as much as possible. I agree with Scott on a little practice of all your chosen disciplines each flight.
Three position flight mode switches are great for multi use planes.

SnowDog

My plane of choice for the above is my 65" Vyper and my Airtronics SD-10G with 3 position switches for every control surface as well as 5 flight modes that function in addition to the 3 position switches...more modes that my feeble brain can handle.

I would think the Extra would also be a good airframe (and now the Laser as well) to handle both types of flying with a simple adjustment of rates on some switches?

3dbandit

100cc
I'm sure what you are saying is best if you want to really focus a plane on exclusively flying precisoin. What if I want to do some imac and 3d on the same plane... often in the same flight. I noticed in Scott Stoops book he recommends setting aside a certain percentage of every flight for practice... that means I probly want 45 degrees of throw for the other parts :D. Keep in mind... I have one flyable plane in my hangar right now ;)

Do I need to sacrifice 3d flying on that plane to learn precision?

I fly the same plane for IMAC and Freestyle.

I fly with 3 position rate switches.

Low rates Is snaps and spins,

Mid-rates for Imac maneuvers and flying around precisely

High rates for stalls, spins, tail slides and and violent 3D.

dth7

Pretty much ditto here. Once you guys who don't vary rates and expo during a flight try it you will see how nice and controlled your flying will become. The fine tuning takes some time but its worth it. Once complete on one plane you can use that as a jumping off point for the others.

cardenflyer

70cc twin V2

Wish I had 3 rates. Some day I'll upgrade the old trusty 9303. I have all my control surfaces on different switches and throw those switches different ways for every manuever. Sounds like a lot of extra thinking to some, but it is how I was taught when I was 8. Not going to be able to change now.

wedoitall

What exactly do you guys mean when you say fine tuning and tinkering on setting up different rates and expo? I have triple rates, actually with the dx9 I have capabilities to setup more. Reason I ask is to see if there is more I should be doing or to see if I'm setting mine up right.