• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight RC 91" Yak 54 build

dribar

70cc twin V2
I got five flights in yesterday and was trying to tumble this plane with no success. The 48" inch planes from EF will tumble so gas and violently that you almost can't see them. I just couldn't get the big yak to do it no mater how I tried. What's your experience?

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Could this be a CG issue? It sounds like perhaps it is nose-heavy? Don't get me wrong... I don't like a tail-heavy plane... but if the weight is really far forward it will have trouble winding up into a tumble.

Disclaimer... I don' t have one of these, nor have I flown one.

Hmmm....I'm too new of a pilot to know what really defines a tumble. However, mine will perform violent pop tops, knife edge spins, and is pretty quick on a snap roll.

I guess there could be other factors involved with how your throws are set, and how long your servo arms are. I couldn't get my MXS to knife edge spin until I installed the longer Dubro arms.

In summary, my big Yak wads up pretty nicely.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
A forward cg makes the plane really stable which will make it resist tumbling as well as making inputs less sensitive. What does the plane do when you roll it over?

dribar

70cc twin V2
I can most everything ( pop tops, knife edge spin, great blender, etc) and the balance is dead on the wing tube, but the tumble seems to stop like a diver extends his legs early.

My 48" entrance is wot at a slight up line (usually after a dive to ate speed is up) then full down/ full right aileron / full left rudder and no throttle. So right stick top right / left stick bottom left. On a 48 this ends up in a very fast tumble of 2.5 to 3 full revolutions. Usually get a few gasps from the crowd.

On the 91" yak my throws are at the max deflection allowed by the angles on the surfaces.

The only thing I didn't try yet was to blow more air over the surfaces during the tumble - instead of no throttle, maybe dial in 20%. The big plane seems to like a lot more airflow.

We shall see. Thanks for the ideas.

Last edited by a moderator: