• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Double Build, Carden Pro 124" Extra 300 40%

thank you Primo!
Got some more done just now, but then my wife called me back inside the house.

IMG_0962.JPG
IMG_0963.JPG
IMG_0964.JPG

TonyHallo

150cc
Cam,
Just curious why you used HYSOL for the engine box and epoxy for the carbon tubes? Is there a specific reason for each? I normally use West System with a small amount of micro fibers for my builds. The HYSOL seems rather expense?

Rusty 73

100cc
From what i have read and heard about Hysol, is that has a superior strength than a lot of epoxys .
Dosen't the Micro fibres lighten up the epoxy and also reduce the strength of the glue .

Several years back, I started to build using two types of Epoxy, called Vpoxy and Aeropoxy.
These were obtained from BVM in Florida.

I only use Epoxy in critical places, like firewall, motorbox, and other critical joints. (i guess you can say all are critical). But in the areas with plywood to plywood, or even plywood to balsa.
When it comes to using glue with carbon fiber, Again, I will use Epoxy.
There is a difference between the Vpoxy and the Aeropoxy.
The aeropoxy is white and it is white when it hardens.
The Vpoxy is kind of clear when it is cured.

Now, aeropoxy, is a unique epoxy, in that, where ever you put it, it will not run at all, and Vpoxy, is sort of like that, but not as much. Epoxy, may run just a tiny bit. Meaning, Vpoxy is slightly less viscous.

I had done quite a bit of research, to find a different source to purchase these epoxies. They come in a two in one dispenser, and the gun is re-usable. You also have to but these tips, that mix it as it comes out. But then, some glue is lost when you discard the one time use tips.

SO I stumbled across the McMaster CARR array of options. And based on my research, the LOCTITE E-20-HP is the same thing as VPOXY, which I believe, is also HYSOL.

I use Loctite E-20-HP from MCMASTER CARR, and it costs 14.33 cents for 1.5 ounces.

I guess it all depends on your preference. I really like to use two fillers with the epoxies, which I do not if I use the LOCTITE (HYSOL) epoxy. the two fillers I use is the milled fiberglass, and the micro-ballons, but usually with 20 minute epoxy. And when I want to "fill a gap" in a non critical area.

Hope this helps explain my decision to the glue choice, has anyone else used the EPOXY glues from BVM?

these are some of the glues I use:
IMG_8057.JPG
IMG_8058.JPG
IMG_8059.JPG

Last edited:

Rusty 73

100cc
Great of to explain the types of epoxies you have used and are currently using in this build . I do like using HYSOL but im going to search out the LOCTITE E-20HP version as well .

Wacobipe

100cc
From what i have read and heard about Hysol, is that has a superior strength than a lot of epoxys .
Dosen't the Micro fibres lighten up the epoxy and also reduce the strength of the glue .

The key benefit with Hysol is that it retains a flexibility when fully set....which is claimed (and I believe) makes it able to absorb vibrations and shock over time without failing better Ghana regular epoxy tha sets up very hard.