• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Double Build, Carden Pro 124" Extra 300 40%

Been a bit of progress, since I have been running around all day, at work, and before work and after wards, I added some more time to Fuselage 1. Great Advice I received: DO not start on Fuselage 2, until I get Fuselage 1 all framed and the phenolics glued in. Once they are glued in, I can remove fuselage 1 from build table, and then start over with step 3, 4, 5, and 6 of the fuselage construction. SO far, for Fuselage 2, I have the TRUSS built, but it is not sheeted, and the plywood phenolic supports are not glued on yet.

SO here we are, back on Fuselage 1, and this is what has been done and completed this morning:

all of the top and bottom cross braces are glued in.
IMG_0966.JPG

I used carbon fiber rods for the area under the canopy/hatch.
IMG_0967.JPG

the top cross braces run in an opposite direction to the bottom cross braces. (this is on the plans).
IMG_0968.JPG

here is to demonstrate the true and straight fuselage sides....
IMG_0969.JPG

you can again see the canister tunnel and see the "straight" aspect of the bottom of the fuselage.
IMG_0970.JPG

I like this picture! It is so cool!!! this is before the phenolics are glued in.

IMG_0971.JPG

time to now start looking at the symmetry between the wing tube and stab tube and the fuselage. Will get into this more next.
IMG_0965.JPG

From the manual:

8. install the Tail Gear Mount and Tail Gear at this time. '

cannot do this step yet, as I am waiting for the tail wheel. As soon as it arrives (probably tomorrow), I will be able to do this step, however, I will not be around this weekend. going to our region's first IMAC contest of the year in El Dorado, Arkansas.

ok, moving on:

9. Trial fit the Fuse Socket and each Wing Panel. Adjust for proper alignment and a flush fit to the Fuse side. Install the Fuse Socket.

before i do step 9, I have to reassure that the stabs and wing tube phenolics will be square to the fuselage and to each other. SO measurements are made in both X and Y axis.

IMG_0975.JPG
IMG_0976.JPG

Any final adjustments need to be made now, before gluing it on, as once this is glued on, it is set.

Ok, I am satisfied with my measurements, and will proceed to 1st do the wing tube. Once that is cured, then I will glue in the phenolic for the stab tube, and assuring that the stab tune is parallel to the wing tube in both axial and coronal planes. Can I say that?

I am making these donuts, using 1/8" thick plywood.
IMG_0981.JPG

Here they are:
IMG_0982.JPG

The glue (epoxy) is pushed in using the extension tips, and then the donuts help push the glue into the gaps between the motor box and the phenolic.

As soon as I set this, then I make sure again, with the wing tube inside the phenolic, that both sides are parallel or equidistant from the table top, and also from measurements to the front of F2 on both sides.
IMG_0983.JPG

Next week, I will then do the stab tube phenolic.

Wish me luck this weekend...

Thank you very much.

No pictures were taken, as I said, this is addictive, and I thought I would do the next step next week, but, I went ahead and glued in the stab tube phenolic and sanded down the wing tube. This all came out perfect!

(EDIT< PICTURES ADDED)

the wing tube phenolic, post glueing, if i measure the distance from the top of the table to the bottom of the wing tube, using my E-caliper, is 0.06 mm off one side compared to the other!
I think that is acceptable.

this is equivalent to 0.002362205 of an inch.
which I calculate, over a 40 inch distance, is not even 1 mm off. SO we are good!

I then proceeded to do the stab tube phenolic.
I also made the similar donuts, and glued it all in.
Again, making measurements so that the rear stab tube is parallel to the wing tube, if you are looking at if from behind, and also, the distance from the TE of the Wing tube to the LE of the stab tube is same on both sides. And it is perfect, within 1/16th of an inch.

Got to pack up now and head on out.

servos have clearance.

IMG_0984.JPG

Stab tube glued in. Need to remove the excess glue with a dremel.
IMG_0985.JPG

top side of the fuselage...
IMG_0986.JPG

wing tube phenolic and the donuts
IMG_0987.JPG

stab tube and wing tube alignment
IMG_0988.JPG
IMG_0989.JPG

carbon fiber cross braces.
IMG_0990.JPG

Last edited:

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Very nice Cam. Good luck this weekend.

On the Hysol....love the 9462. Very strong bonds. Quite often I just squirt some on a magazine (one of the few things the AMA rag is good for ;) ).....then mix and apply with a BBQ skewer. Save on Hysol and tip waste. The tips are great when you need them though.

Cheers :cheers: