• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Double Build, Carden Pro 124" Extra 300 40%

Hi Primo,
I like to use them as they help push the epoxy to the gaps between the motor box and the phenolic and the tube support. I also rotate them as I push them down.

Dirt

50cc
10-4! Thanks Cam!! BTW, those gussets are not exactly what I used. The ones that I use were originated by a fellow out in Ft. Worth. They are half-round with a 3/8" square cut out. The cut out allows the gusset to cover the upright and all three cross members (or two) at the same time! I put them to the inside of the fuse all the way back to the tail.

Oh, and don't forget the think about how your are going to attach the blind nuts for the stab hold-downs before you get to far along! Don't ask me why I mentioned this step!!!

Don't forget to close in the can tunnel before you get to far along in the build! Again, don't ask me how I know this!!

I would like to have been there but alas that's the way things worked out!! How did you do on your first round in Intermediate?

Last edited:
Thank you Bobby. Hope all is well with you and Philip.

Well, there were several things I wish I had glued on, before I put the FS on.
they are the hard points for the stab screw and for the canopy screws.

Oh well.

Live and learn.

I will take pictures once they are cured.

Dirt

50cc
Thank you Bobby. Hope all is well with you and Philip.

Well, there were several things I wish I had glued on, before I put the FS on.
they are the hard points for the stab screw and for the canopy screws.

Oh well.

Live and learn.

I will take pictures once they are cured.

10-4 Cam. We are doing ok, yep live and learn!! Congratulations on your win at El Dorado!

Dirt

50cc
One other thing that I ran into while building my PRO. The "wings" from the fuse box out to the fuse sides where the blind nuts go for the cowl - I should have made new ply cowl rings so that the holes for the bolt holss were in better alignment with solid ply. I had to add some ply behind the "wing" to get enough wood for the blind nuts!

Here are the hard points:
(glue these on before gluing the fuselage sides to motorbox)

near the tail. This is 3/8" thick plywood piece, pre cut by CARDEN, that goes in between these two vertical truss sticks. It is where you will drill later to set incidence of the stabs, and also to add a tab on the root cap of the stab for a screw with a blind nut.
IMG_1009.jpg

this is the right side, right behind F5, here, no problem.
IMG_1010.jpg

This is same, right side and left side, right behind F2 (this will be the forward most screw on the canopy to fuselage)

IMG_1011.jpg

this is the left side, right behind F5. This will not work as a hard point for the middle tab on the canopy. I will keep it here anyway, as I am certain it adds some strength.
IMG_1012.jpg

Here will be the position of the new hard point. Needs to be glued in.
IMG_1013.jpg

this is not mentioned in the manual. SO this modification has to be done.

Another add on, mentioned in the plans, not the manual, is to add this hard wood brace, between the right and left fuselage sides, in the tail, directly above and below, from the stab tube phenolic.

IMG_1003.jpg

And this is a brace, between the motor box and the FS, right in front of F5.

This is shown in the plans. Not mentioned in the manual. I am still learning.

I am certain there may be others things I have to do, to finish the fuselage off, and I will try to figure out what all the little hardwood and balsa is for in the little bags. Should be fun!

IMG_1004.jpg