• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Desert Aircraft Owners

ryan_m

100cc
I have an EME70 twin that is spitting out tons of black stuff. I was running it at 35:1 on Redline per the manual, but I'm going to drop to 40:1.
If it were me I would just check the plug, adjust the mixture if needed to get it with that nice proper plug color, and then just keep flying it!

here is from the manual, DA 50 r:

1. Needle Adjustments
    • The needle farthest from the motor is the “High End” needle. The needle closest to motor is the “Low End” needle. Turning the needles in/clockwise “leans” the fuel mixture. Turning the needles out/counter-clockwise “richens” the fuel mixture.

• Settings will vary with altitude, temperature, humidity, fuel, carb variances, etc. A "general" starting point for the DA50 is: 1 5/8’s open on the Low needle, 1 7/8’s open on the High needle.

• Adjusting either needle can have a slight effect on the other. Example: Leaning the low needle can "slightly" lean the high rpm range.

• Adjust the High End needle to peak rpm. A tachometer can help, but remember that the RPM normally drops a little bit after every start due to residual heat build up. Don’t lean the mixture any more than necessary. If the rpm steadily drops at full throttle or fades on long vertical maneuvers, the motor is too lean and is overheating.
  • Adjust the Low End needle until you achieve a smooth idle and a reliable transition to high throttle. Generally if the motor “stutters” or “coughs” in the mid range or when the throttle is advanced, the low end needle is too rich and possibly even the high end needle. If the motor dies quickly, the low end is probably lean.

• Don't set the needles overly rich to protect the engine. Operating the motor overly rich not only reduces power, it creates other problems such as poor transition, pre-mature carbon build up, fouled plugs, excessive exhaust residue, sticking rings, airframe vibration, and overall rough running.

Ok, here's a tuning question that has me confused after reading this. I was working with the needles on my DA 60 this weekend and the motor was transitioning fine. Now I'm thinking I'm too rich but here's the crazy thing. When I'm at 1/4-1/2 throttle and go into an upline it seems to bog down even more making me think that I'm too lean.

There are some other things that I need to check too. I added a nipple to the carb diaphragm vent and ran it to a pill bottle in the fuse for static air and that did away with the burbling problems I had when doing knife edge and rolling harriers. I'm also going to check the fuel screens and diaphragm in the carb and probably get a rebuild kit for it and then mix in some Seafoam with the gas.

Ben, i believe, it is normal for the motor to bog down in an upline, as this is when the motor is under the most load. The only thing is, try an upline with throttle wide open, and see what happens. most importantly, listen to the motor and see if it starts to fade. Others may chime in, but if i do an upline with 1/4 throttle or 1/2 throttle, more than likely, the motor will bog down quick.