• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Desert Aircraft Owners

Stay away from seafoam. Big waste of money and you really don't want anything between your fuel and oil. I have done testing with seafoam and it provided no benifits at all. E10 fuel is just fine with almost all modern carbs including walbros. Some fuel lines don't like the ethanol but an annual replacement is all that is needed. My jetski that are 2 strokes have several thousand gallons of fuel through the 2 of them and are 2002's. I just add stabil for winter only. One carb is untouched and is as reliable as the day it was new and the other had the carbs rebuilt by me a few years ago when I replaced the Pistons from a broken reed valve. The gaskets were in excellent shape. I have pics on this site i belive. My lawn equipment is guaranteed to start within 5 pulls from winter storage with no additives at all. As much as people are against E10 it has little affect on any current engine.

A funny thing is my boss is a huge fan of seafoam for some odd reason and he has it installed in all our gas equipment at work including out Honda generators. Those are some of the hardest starting engines after they sit. I have one now and don't use seafoam in it now and it starts way easier now.

I went ahead and put 2 ounces in my fuel jug. I just wanted to get rid of whatever formed the film on the fuel screen in the carb. My plan is to mix in another gallon with the 1/4 gallon in the jug that now has Seafoam and add then not add any more until maybe the season is over to prevent things from growing. I use it in my mower (Honda) as a fuel stabilizer and then I switch to SEF towards the end of the season. All of my equipment except the Stihl trimmer (using 50:1 SEF anyways) starts on the first pull. I've read a lot of good things about Seafoam but I don't think it offers two strokes much benefit unless there might be a little gunk in the carb. That's about the only time I've seen any benefit to using it.

You sure the film in your screen is not from your fuel tank. I get stuff in my filter from the clunk rubbing the bottom of the tank. Gasoline isn't like diesel where you can get bacteria growth.

Good question...

Couldn't tell you. I pulled the line in the tank that goes to the carb forward and now I have the Seafoam in my fuel can. Should hopefully keep things clean for a while.

What sort of stable idle RPM would you expect to get on a well run in DA-120? Mine has had about 4 gallons through it so not fully run in but I'm struggling to get it to idle reliably anywhere near 1300 without it loading up and dying within 10-20 secs. Prop is a Mejzlik 25x12 3-blade, oil is Redline at 40:1.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
What sort of stable idle RPM would you expect to get on a well run in DA-120? Mine has had about 4 gallons through it so not fully run in but I'm struggling to get it to idle reliably anywhere near 1300 without it loading up and dying within 10-20 secs. Prop is a Mejzlik 25x12 3-blade, oil is Redline at 40:1.

Hmn....With a 29x9 CF Falcon I get a reliable ground idle around 13/1400. I idle up to just over 2000 while flying. Flip the switch back to low idle to land. Now I have had the engine stall because I did not re trim the low idle once the engine was at operating temp. And remember the ignition goes back to about 1 degree below 2000 rpm. ( electronic advance does not start until about 2000 rpm and is fully advanced at about 4000 rpm.) It was about 7gallons before mine was fully broke in with redline 32:1.
Your prop seems a tad small for this engine. Also check your low needle. It may be a tad rich.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
You sure the film in your screen is not from your fuel tank. I get stuff in my filter from the clunk rubbing the bottom of the tank. Gasoline isn't like diesel where you can get bacteria growth.

Not trying to argue. I respect a lot of your posts and info. Bacteria, Fungus and Algae will grow in the moisture barrier between the tank and fuel. Albeit gasoline, kerosene, diesel. The headaches and stress I endured as a Naval fuels officer is my only back ground.
Yes it is more prevalent in kerosene fuels but gasoline is not excluded. I am wondering if some of the "additives" in the oil he uses is being "coalesced" on the carb screen?

Hi All,

Any experiences of how good the gaskets supplied with DA engines are - should I expect some leakage if I use them alone?

I usually use Copper Permatex/RTV sealant (without any "paper" gasket) but have run out and want to get the airframe finished tomorrow!