• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Balsa USA 1/3 Scale Super Cub Kit " NIB "

fencelake

70cc twin V2
I built up the flap and aileron. It was fairly simple just followed the steps, and they went together really quickly. All the pieces popped out with ease, and minimal sanding.

One thing, you're required to create the curve in the trailing edge of the aileron, so I created a simple template out of scrap so that it'll be the same on both sides. Whenever I make a template out of scrap I always label it with magic marker so I don't throw it away.

Attachments

• WING - aileron and flap lower cap.jpg
    WING - aileron and flap lower cap.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 367
  • WING - aileron lower cap strip.jpg
    WING - aileron lower cap strip.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 396
  • WING - aileron curve template.jpg
    WING - aileron curve template.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 369
  • WING - aileron curved tip template trace.jpg
    WING - aileron curved tip template trace.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 370
  • WING - traced curve with template.jpg
    WING - traced curve with template.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 350
  • WING - aileron curve template (2).jpg
    WING - aileron curve template (2).jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 340
  • WING - aileron tip cut.jpg
    WING - aileron tip cut.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 374
  • WING - flap and aileron lower cap.jpg
    WING - flap and aileron lower cap.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 354
  • WING - LE aileron and flap (2).jpg
    WING - LE aileron and flap (2).jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 352
  • WING - aileron and flap ribs.jpg
    WING - aileron and flap ribs.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 341
  • WING - aileron rib layout.jpg
    WING - aileron rib layout.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 374
  • WING - flap ribs.jpg
    WING - flap ribs.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 359
  • WING - ribs for aileron and flap.jpg
    WING - ribs for aileron and flap.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 383

fencelake

70cc twin V2
Of course after finishing the wing, I had to mock up the plane to get a sense of the size. My trusty model Pearl is always helpful. Can't wait to be finished with this bird. It's going to be awesome!

Attachments

• PHOT - full mockup to date (3).jpg
    PHOT - full mockup to date (3).jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 410
  • PHOT - full mockup to date.jpg
    PHOT - full mockup to date.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 395

Wheel Man

New to GSN!
Matt, Thanks for the link to the thread. Robert and I will be tackling this kit this fall (I hope) if time in the shop will allow. We are going to make the 1/3 scale a big brother to my 1/4 scale that I have... same as my Avitar ( AK State Trooper paint Scheme). I followed you J-3 build and really liked the choke and interior that you did... really made it look nice. When I get a chance I will throw up some pictures of the 1/4 scale Trooper Cub re-build... yes I wrecked it... LOL it's almost finished. I do love the look of the "Bush Plane"! That's why we make the wheels. haha!

Best regards and keep the photos coming! The thread is great and I can't wait to see it all finished up!

Billy J

50cc
Once I built both the stab and elevators the wooden dowels have to be cut and the brass tubes installed. Making sure that everything is aligned, and there is proper spacing between the surfaces is critical. I really took my time doing all this. I had to cut one of the brass tubes a little to fit properly, but it all came together pretty straight.
I got to this part and don't like my solder job with One little piece of metal to hold clevis???? don't trust it

fencelake

70cc twin V2
Matt, Thanks for the link to the thread. Robert and I will be tackling this kit this fall (I hope) if time in the shop will allow. We are going to make the 1/3 scale a big brother to my 1/4 scale that I have... same as my Avitar ( AK State Trooper paint Scheme). I followed you J-3 build and really liked the choke and interior that you did... really made it look nice. When I get a chance I will throw up some pictures of the 1/4 scale Trooper Cub re-build... yes I wrecked it... LOL it's almost finished. I do love the look of the "Bush Plane"! That's why we make the wheels. haha!

Best regards and keep the photos coming! The thread is great and I can't wait to see it all finished up!

Awesome! This plane is a great kit, and the AK trooper scheme will be really cool! I'm very excited to get this wrapped up and in the air. Summer is here! Thanks for the amazing wheels to complete the plane!

fencelake

70cc twin V2
I got to this part and don't like my solder job with One little piece of metal to hold clevis???? don't trust it

I didn't solder the elevator horn on. I'm going to use a 2 servo system below the horizontal stab, one on each side. I know the kit calls for single, but I'm going two on the elevator, and probably 2 on the rudder, or a JR 8711. I haven't decided yet.

fencelake

70cc twin V2
So, I had a little hiatus from the build. I started flying and practicing for IMAC, did alright up in Arkansas. I've had a flurry of buying and selling planes... and I also snuck in another build. I built an Airtronics Sapphire sailplane that I've had for a long time. I'm planning on posting the entire build as well on GSN. I documented it very well, and could only find one other build thread for a sapphire on the entire internet... so I want to make sure GSN has the other one. Here's a photo of the completed sailplane, and it fly's amazing by the way!

Our poor flying field is underwater here, and just when the water started to recede TS Billy hit the other day and the adjacent lake flooded it over again. Our whole club in a band of vagabonds at the moment finding various fields to fly at. We've had some of the other clubs invite us in, which has been extremely generous! Frequent flying has become difficult, but now the Super Cub build is heating up, and will finish strong here in the next several weeks! I'm getting very excited!

Attachments

• 01de1d0a8d21671755eb72945fe99834087231abe8.jpg
    01de1d0a8d21671755eb72945fe99834087231abe8.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 379
  • 019787605ad19217e2ba1c308df102edab75ce4b02.jpg
    019787605ad19217e2ba1c308df102edab75ce4b02.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 369