• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Balsa USA 1/3 Scale Super Cub Kit " NIB "

fencelake

70cc twin V2
This week is very exciting for the super cub build! It's like Christmas! All my electronics, engine, landing gear, etc. have arrived or will arrive tomorrow!

For the engine, I'm putting in an EME 70 twin, which will fit perfectly inside the cowling. I looked at several twins and this was the only one that would fit.

I splurged and went for the Robart 1/3 scale landing gear. That's going to save me a lot of time for sure!

The most exciting thing that's arrived this week is the PR Bushwheels, 11.5 inch balloon tires, which are just awesome! I also ordered the 1/3 scale PR Bushwheels tailwheel, which is beefy as heck, and these are going to make the plane. Steve up at PR also made me custom axles to fit the Robart landing gear... so I didn't even have to worry about how that was going to work out. Finding 1/3 scale tundra tires was extremely difficult, and I'm so glad I found PR. These are perfect, the tailwheel was an added bonus that I didn't expect, and anyone wanting these types of wheels, here's the link to their website:

http://www.prbushwheels.com/

Tomorrow I have more stuff coming from Chief Aircraft, and also Taildragger RC. So... the cub build oughta be full steam ahead!

Attachments

• SHPMNT - goodies.jpg
    SHPMNT - goodies.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 572
  • ENGINE - eme 70 twin.jpg
    ENGINE - eme 70 twin.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 637
  • LND GR - Robart landing gear.jpg
    LND GR - Robart landing gear.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 656
  • LND GR - PR Bushwheels.jpg
    LND GR - PR Bushwheels.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,246
  • TAIL - tailwheel.jpg
    TAIL - tailwheel.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,080
  • LND GR - axles for bushwheels.jpg
    LND GR - axles for bushwheels.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 573

fencelake

70cc twin V2
Here are a few photos of putting on the cap strips over the wing ribs. I also glued the hard points for the servo horns, and began sanding down the wingtips.

Attachments

• WING - cap strip placement.jpg
    WING - cap strip placement.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 586
  • WING - Cap strips 2.jpg
    WING - Cap strips 2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 542
  • WING - Cap strips.jpg
    WING - Cap strips.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 520
  • WING - progress.jpg
    WING - progress.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 544
  • WING - Servo horn hard points 2.jpg
    WING - Servo horn hard points 2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 560
  • WING - Servo horn hard points 3.jpg
    WING - Servo horn hard points 3.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 528
  • WING - Servo horn hard points.jpg
    WING - Servo horn hard points.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 524
  • WING - wingtip work (2).jpg
    WING - wingtip work (2).jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 561

fencelake

70cc twin V2
A little update... I haven't worked on this bird in a while but fall is here along with crummy weather... perfect time to finish her up! Major construction is complete. My custom wing tubes fit perfectly and both wings align... I'll just need to secure the outer tubes once I've set the wing dihedral. The holes in the ribs are slightly larger to accommodate this down the road. Now it's on to the detail work, sanding and electronics installation! a few other minor construction items. She's looking like an airplane!!! It takes up my entire living room! I didn't realize how big 1/3 scale was I think. Haha!!
CUB - progress full 1.jpg

poprlite

50cc
Look at Matt's build on the Pitts. He used solartex and sprayed a single stage paint straight on, no primer. A friend is recovering a stearman using the same method and it's looking great.