• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Balsa USA 1/3 Scale Super Cub Kit " NIB "

fencelake

70cc twin V2
Well, I took a little break this past weekend to set up and maiden my PAU Extra 300. It flies great! This is my first twin cylinder engine (DA-120). It's crazy how good that thing sounds, especially sitting on the taxiway waiting to takeoff. It's a beast!

A lot going on with the cub in the coming days. I have IMAC stuff starting up, so some of my weekends will be consumed with flying rather than building... oh darn! haha! But I received my wing tubes and sleeves from Jtec this past week. I didn't realize the sleeves were going to be carbon fiber as well, so that was an added bonus, and will look nice and tidy through the windows. The wing tubes will be, really the only thing not scale on the plane, but I'm building this to fly, and fly out in the country at ranches, not to sit on display... so everything I do is with this in mind.

That brings up an off instruction step I'm going to take this week. I'm going to add some dowel pins to the firewall, as well as maybe to the doors. I'm also going to put a little bit of fiberglass in at some strategic joints, just for my state of mind. And of course! Start on the wings!!

Attachments

• 019a2214ebd40c02d7db1757254359a272baa31005.jpg
    019a2214ebd40c02d7db1757254359a272baa31005.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 460
  • 0126ff79542f5ff175682561b983f0640fe764a90f.jpg
    0126ff79542f5ff175682561b983f0640fe764a90f.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 501

fencelake

70cc twin V2
Well, I've finally got back to building after have been flying a lot the past couple of weeks. I started on the wing construction this weekend, and also doweled the firewall to the fuselage.

Attachments

• FUSE - dowling firewall.jpg
    FUSE - dowling firewall.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 438

fencelake

70cc twin V2
The first couple of things I had to do in this step were, #1, clean off my work surface and put down the plan and plastic covering. One wing takes up my whole table!! #2 I began laminating the ribs that required it, as well as the wing spars. On the spars, it calls for (2) spars, that are 5/16" by 3/4", you have to actually laminate these as well. I called BUSA on Friday to verify before I used the long spruce pieces incorrectly, and they were EXTREMELY helpful and very nice! What great people! They confirmed that you do indeed laminate the two to make one. So Lamination Factory was set up once again!

Attachments

• WING - laying out plan.jpg
    WING - laying out plan.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 349
  • WING - layout.jpg
    WING - layout.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 330
  • WING - const - spars.jpg
    WING - const - spars.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 343
  • WING - const - spars (2).jpg
    WING - const - spars (2).jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 316
  • WING - const - rib lamination.jpg
    WING - const - rib lamination.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 337

fencelake

70cc twin V2
The next step was to layout the rear false spar, which is two pieces joined, and I decided to cut them at a 45, rather than a straight butt joint.

Attachments

• WING - const - TE constuction.jpg
    WING - const - TE constuction.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 342

fencelake

70cc twin V2
Next, was a pretty critical step. I had to drill holes in the first 4 ribs for my wing tubes. I used the root rib and taped it to the fuselage, and then stuck my wing tube through and created a tube mark where to drill on the rib, and then used this one rib as a template for the rest. My wing tube is 7/8" and I purposely drilled a 1" hole so that later when I mount the wings with struts and get the correct dihedral I can use plywood donuts to secure the tubes in place. That's the theory anyway! Haha!

Attachments

• WING - const - holes for wing tubes (3).jpg
    WING - const - holes for wing tubes (3).jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 333
  • WING - const - holes for wing tubes.jpg
    WING - const - holes for wing tubes.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 317
  • WING - const - holes for wing tubes (2).jpg
    WING - const - holes for wing tubes (2).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 440
  • WING - const - marking drill point for wing tubes.jpg
    WING - const - marking drill point for wing tubes.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 437
  • WING - const - holes for wing tubes (4).jpg
    WING - const - holes for wing tubes (4).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 341

fencelake

70cc twin V2
Now for the fun part! (I skipped a step on the thread, which was the strut mounting blocks, but I did that as well) Laying out the ribs and building the wing! This is great, because it takes shape so quick... it's instant gratification!

It looks like the weather's going to be windy and maybe rainy this week, so more building than flying I think. I'm ready to get this bird complete, but man, when it's beautiful outside it's just too hard to resist going to the flying field!

Attachments

• WING - const - placing main ribs.jpg
    WING - const - placing main ribs.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 318
  • WING - const - placing ribs.jpg
    WING - const - placing ribs.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 357
  • WING - const - placing ribs (3).jpg
    WING - const - placing ribs (3).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 335
  • WING - const - placing ribs (2).jpg
    WING - const - placing ribs (2).jpg