• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Balsa USA 1/3 Scale Super Cub Kit " NIB "

fencelake

70cc twin V2
Made a little more progress on the left wing over the weekend. It's forecasted to rain most of the week, so I won't be flying as much and can continue on with the build! The first thing I had to do was pop out all the false ribs. They all came out really easily and in great condition. I then layed them out without gluing them just yet.

Attachments

• WING - popping out false ribs (2).jpg
    WING - popping out false ribs (2).jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 269
  • WING - false rib.jpg
    WING - false rib.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 275
  • WING - popping out false ribs.jpg
    WING - popping out false ribs.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 254
  • WING - laying out false ribs.jpg
    WING - laying out false ribs.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 273

fencelake

70cc twin V2
At the forward wing strut hard point I didn't trim the plywood originally, but in laying out my false ribs I realized I would have to cut this for the rib to fit. I just used my razor saw and it was easily fixed.

Attachments

• WING - false rib over strut point.jpg
    WING - false rib over strut point.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 256
  • WING - wing strut point overage.jpg
    WING - wing strut point overage.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 281
  • WING - trimming wing strut point.jpg
    WING - trimming wing strut point.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 272

fencelake

70cc twin V2
The next step was to glue on the first part of the leading edge. I didn't have enough material, so I had to buy another piece of 2" x 1/4" balsa. In order to make the 45 degree angle at the top I pushed an Xacto blade through a triangle piece of balsa and used it as a guide. It worked pretty well.

Attachments

• WING - cutting LE piece.jpg
    WING - cutting LE piece.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 313
  • WING - Xacto as 45 degree trimmer (2).jpg
    WING - Xacto as 45 degree trimmer (2).jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 272
  • WING - Xacto as 45 degree trimmer.jpg
    WING - Xacto as 45 degree trimmer.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 277
  • WING - 45 degree cut on LE piece.jpg
    WING - 45 degree cut on LE piece.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 268

fencelake

70cc twin V2
Once I completed this I could go back and glue in all the false ribs. I used a scrap piece of ply (checking for 90 degrees) as my guide to make sure they were all 90 degrees.

Attachments

• WING - false ribs install.jpg
    WING - false ribs install.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 277
  • WING - false ribs.jpg
    WING - false ribs.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 246

fencelake

70cc twin V2
I then lam'd up the wing tip and blocked it into place. It's installed at an angle so a couple of pieces of scrap are used to pin it in the correct position while the final rib is glued into place. I used CA for the rib, but at the trailing edge of the wing tip I used gorilla wood glue.

Attachments

• WING - Wingtip and final rib.jpg
    WING - Wingtip and final rib.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 242
  • WING - wingtip install.jpg
    WING - wingtip install.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 296
  • WING - wingtip intsall.jpg
    WING - wingtip intsall.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 264

fencelake

70cc twin V2
I next installed the forward upper false spar and feathered it into the wing tip. After that I was supposed to plane down the trailing edge false spar with a planar, but I guess mine is too dull. I ended up using an Xacto knife and a straight edge, which worked all right. I'm going to have to buy some two sided tape so I can use my really long sanding bar this evening.

Attachments

• WING - FWD false spar fade into wingtip.jpg
    WING - FWD false spar fade into wingtip.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 265
  • WING - Exacto instead of planar.jpg
    WING - Exacto instead of planar.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 268
  • WING - Xacto as planar.jpg
    WING - Xacto as planar.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 270

pawnshopmike

Staff member
The next step was to glue on the first part of the leading edge. I didn't have enough material, so I had to buy another piece of 2" x 1/4" balsa. In order to make the 45 degree angle at the top I pushed an Xacto blade through a triangle piece of balsa and used it as a guide. It worked pretty well.
Great tip! :way_to_go:

fencelake

70cc twin V2
Well, I've been really neglecting this project because it's been so beautiful outside I've been flying, but summer's coming and I want this thing ready, so I sacrificed a gorgeous afternoon yesterday and got back to work!

I got the wing sheeting finished on the leading edge and added the wingtip gusset.

Attachments

• WING - fwd sheeting.jpg
    WING - fwd sheeting.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 264
  • WING - wingtip gusset.jpg
    WING - wingtip gusset.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 258