• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

78'' Extra

Daren and I got some flying today in on our 78s. I could measurably see how much faster Daren's piped setup was. I am sure I win in a tractor pull with my VVRC 40 and Mej 21x8 prop, but if you want some high energy, that DLE-35RA with ES pipe combo is the one to beat. I am going to have to try that Falcon 20x9 and see if I can get some speed without having to use the Vess 20B, which I am using on my other twin for break in. I did get 1.5 turns on a pop top, which is as good as I have gotten so far with this plane.

Fast3D

50cc
Hey guys, sorry for this basic question but I am not really sure since I never thought about it upuntil now. my throttle trim is way up there: I have to go all the way forward for idle....but I like to have it close to the center. so should I go lower than 100% eg 70% on the L throttle travel adjust or I can go up on the throttle subtrim or both? what's the correct way to do this. Thank you.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I want to thank Tyler McCormack for giving myself and a couple other club members a practical airframe setup demo at the field the other day. Ty met me to "tweak" my 78 extra. He set to it like an Indy pit crew chief. Fast but methodical and explaining as he went. I had a hat cam on it and will edit and post when I get to it. He managed to squeeze an estimated 30% increased performance from that airframe! I've always "preached" proper setup and been successful with most planes. This one was close but not quite locked in. Watching someone do a setup efficiently and effectively was priceless. All he wanted was for me to "show someone else" and pay it forward. That's why the vid is coming.
The plane is even better now (hard to believe).
So huge KUDOs and thanks to Tyler. A great ambassador of the hobby!

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Yes. It was pretty impressive watching "the kid" go through the process while explaining it. "Like butta!"
I was very giddy when I flew the "new" plane! Doing roller loops (albeit sloppy) not once but twice that I couldn't the day prior. The 5-6degrees more on the elevator was the key to keep the wing stalled in rollers. Much easier now.
I'll see what I can do with the raw footage to add captions. It was windy so the audio is scratchy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tyler has helped me a number of times. First you need to get the geometry as best you can with arm length equal to the distance from the hinge to the attach point on the surface horn. Next you need to get the throw you want with as close to 150 each way in the radio. use a throw meter to get equal surface deflection on the ailerons and elevator halves. After that it is radio setup for rates, expo, and various mixes, depending on your style. I put the knife edge mixing on a switch typically if I set it up.

The one thing I got to help Tyler with is setting up a proper throttle curve. I like mine set up like a linear thrust lever, so I set the points to certain RPM numbers I figure out in the spreadsheet I got from Pe Reivers RIP.

For example I just did some testing on my DA-120 on canisters with a Falcon 27x11 and I need to redo my curve. Peak ground RPM was 7000 RPM which is about 60 pounds of effective thrust. So I want these numbers to work out

25% throttle needs 15 pounds of thrust which is 3550
50% throttle needs 30 pounds of thrust which is 5000
75% throttle needs 45 pounds of thrust which is 6100

I use the tach to set these and then fly around. My radio allows 7 point curves and if I add the extra points they will 37.5 and 62.5 to help with that critical mid stick for hover and harrier.

Last edited by a moderator: