• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

78'' Extra

ryan_m

100cc
Flew my 78" Extra today along with my 92" Edge. After about 96 ozs. through it, I'm finally able to start it by hand. I flew it about 4 flights today and so far I think it's going to be a great replacement for my 71" Slick. My Slick flew good but it just seemed real snappy to me. I bought the 78 because it has so much more wing area than the 71 for about the same weight.

same weight? Jeez, you must have either had one heavy slick or one light 78!!
My 78's have both been in the 12.5-13+ lb range. One was gas and the current one is electric.
My electric Slick was 9.5 lb, the gas one was 10.5 if memory serves.

But the 78 is lighter feeling on the wing than the Slick, and flies great!

vegasking

70cc twin V2
What I meant about the same weight is that it has the same HS-7955's as the 71 had in it. I'm running a Tech Aero Ibec in it so it has lost the weight of the ignition battery. We'll call it nearly the same as I have not weighed either plane. I just feel that it has a lighter wing loading than the 71 had, with it having 7 more inches of wing span and around 210 sq. inches more of wing area.

vegasking

70cc twin V2
Here's a unedited video I took on Sunday in 15-20 mph winds with gusts up 25. The 78 is so far been a good flying plane, just haven't got to fly it without it being real windy. The VVRC 40cc twin seems to be haulin it around good and is getting easier to start by hand with about 3/4 gallons through it. It's pretty loud with those stock mufflers.

http://youtu.be/FfYhDqnAIxE

Can anyone walk me though how to setup the dual elevator servos/mixing for this plane using a JR radio (9503)? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone walk me though how to setup the dual elevator servos/mixing for this plane using a JR radio (9503)? Thanks

I can't vouch for the accuracy of this personally. But I found this online for the 9503, which sounds pretty similar to the way I did it last weekend when I helped a buddy program dual elevator servos into his Futaba 8FG.

"The device select menu that allows you to INH the aux channel used for the left elevator half and the wing type menu allows you to pair that aux channel to the elevator. "

On the 8FG, we had to select tail type "ailevator".

Marc

Last edited by a moderator: