• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

74" Edge 540

G.P.

70cc twin V2
Way to rub it in! Got to -27c (-16.6F) here last night! I love RC, but not that much! Maybe in about 6 months.

:crying:

SteveT.

100cc
Way to rub it in! Got to -27c (-16.6F) here last night! I love RC, but not that much! Maybe in about 6 months.

:crying:

Well...if it makes you feel any better, it's supposed to rain here tonight.....right now overcast, and 67F....

SteveT

We stay pretty active all the way till the snow falls and sticks. We do indoors, but that is not really my thing. The last two seasons things have started back up in March so we really only have about 12-16 weeks of downtime. In that time there is the holidays, our RC auction/swap meet, and the WRAM show so things are still happening in RC world. I started a kit last winter and I hope to actually get somewhere with it this building season. About to finish my garage sale Velox and I hope to maiden it tomorrow and fly the Edge on my Mej 20x7.

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Discussion for the 74 Edge 540. This is currently, my only "larger" airplane.

Setup is as follows:
Motrofly 4325 310kv
HS 985MG
ICE 100
4s 4000 x 2 gens ace 25c
Castle BEC Pro
2s 1300mah RX pack direct to BEC Pro

Tested to about 2200 Watts on APC 19x10e. The Gens Ace lipos work great and I highly recommend them. If doing it again, I'd probably try some 5000mah batts just to get more weight up front.

Outside of the battery issue how is the Motrolfly on this plane? Would you (or anyone else) recommend it over the suggested Hacker motors for this airplane?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Outside of the battery issue how is the Motrolfly on this plane? Would you (or anyone else) recommend it over the suggested Hacker motors for this airplane?

Either motor will work great, they're both "premium" motors, and both Aero-Model and Subsonicplanes will stand behind the products they sell.
I tried a few motors on the 74" Edge I had, including the DM 4325, Tacon Bigfoot 110, and the Motrolfly DM 5320.
Of the ones I had, the plane flew the best with the DM 5320 on it, and the Tacon was better than the DM 4325 because it was heavier and balanced the plane better, however mine had issues with the shaft sliding forward and the bell moving outward.

Of note, I liked the weight of the 8s4000 packs I was running just fine.

-Gary

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Thanks for your reply Gary! I am a Motrolfly fan, so I have been thinking hard about what to do for my future airframe. Which of the 5320's did you choose Kv wise? If you don't mind why did you make this choice?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Thanks for your reply Gary! I am a Motrolfly fan, so I have been thinking hard about what to do for my future airframe. Which of the 5320's did you choose Kv wise? If you don't mind why did you make this choice?

I used the 300kv wind. I chose Motrolfly at the time (March 2012) based on my previous satisfaction with that line of motors.

econpatric

70cc twin V2
...the Tacon was better than the DM 4325 because it was heavier and balanced the plane better, however mine had issues with the shaft sliding forward and the bell moving outward.

I assume you are referring to the Tacon motor in this instance? Do you still have the Edge airframe? Based on your experience would you go with this airframe again or would you choose a different airframe of this class? Thanks (Sorry for bombarding you with all of these question!)

gyro

GSN Contributor
I assume you are referring to the Tacon motor in this instance? Do you still have the Edge airframe? Based on your experience would you go with this airframe again or would you choose a different airframe of this class? Thanks (Sorry for bombarding you with all of these question!)

Yes, the Tacon I has was the motor with the issue.
So far, my favorite plane in the size is the 70/71" Slick. Having flown both the 74" Edge and the 70" Velox, they're great also.
In the end, choose the one you think looks awesome, and go have fun. They all kick butt!