• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

74" Edge 540

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Doing a little reading today, I am trying to determine if the Castle ICE 100 will be enough for the Motrolfly 5320-300? It seems that some folks say that on 6s this motor can really pull some amps? I have the option of running 6s or 8s and am thinking with the amp draw I would be better on 8s, what is the consensus on this?

Gary--what ESC did you run your 5320 on?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Doing a little reading today, I am trying to determine if the Castle ICE 100 will be enough for the Motrolfly 5320-300? It seems that some folks say that on 6s this motor can really pull some amps? I have the option of running 6s or 8s and am thinking with the amp draw I would be better on 8s, what is the consensus on this?

I personally (and stongly) prefer the ZTW series of ESC. You can get them a Quantum Hobby and Altitude Hobbies.
I currently run a DM5320-300 in my 70" Slick, and I'm running it on 8s, and use the ZTW 100a HV ESC here: http://www.quantumhobby.com/ZTW-A-Series-100A-ESC-OPTO-HV-A-ZTW100AOPTOHV-p/a-ztw100aoptohv.htm or here: http://www.altitudehobbies.com/brus...00a-hv-high-voltage-opto-no-bec-brushless-esc

Last edited by a moderator:

djmoose

70cc twin V2

You need more info. What prop you use plays the most important role in the amps that you'll pull. Also, the 300kv is the 8S wind. I don't think you'll be happy on 6S with a 300kv motor.

djmoose

70cc twin V2
I personally (and stongly) prefer the ZTW series of ESC. You can get them a Quantum Hobby and Altitude Hobbies.
I currently run a DM5320-300 in my 70" Slick, and I'm running it on 8s, and use the ZTW 100a HV ESC here: http://www.quantumhobby.com/ZTW-A-Series-100A-ESC-OPTO-HV-A-ZTW100AOPTOHV-p/a-ztw100aoptohv.htm or here: http://www.altitudehobbies.com/brus...00a-hv-high-voltage-opto-no-bec-brushless-esc

Can I ask for clarification on why you strongly prefer the ZTW?

econpatric

70cc twin V2
You need more info. What prop you use plays the most important role in the amps that you'll pull. Also, the 300kv is the 8S wind. I don't think you'll be happy on 6S with a 300kv motor.

Hey Moose! I understand that prop sizes make a difference in determining amp draw, I guess I was just looking for more of a generalization based on Subsonic Planes motor list. On the website (http://www.subsonicplanes.com/Motrolfly_Motors.html ) they have listed both 6s and 8s prop options for each wind. I am thinking that I will go 8s (2-4s packs) to fly this beast. I currently own a Castle Ice 100 and really would rather not have to buy another ESC (thanks for the input Gary...maybe next build?).

Gary: what is your typical amp draw for your favorite prop size on the Motrolfly?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Can I ask for clarification on why you strongly prefer the ZTW?

First, my statement was when compared with a Castle ESC, and for simplicity sake, I'll refer directly to the fact that based on my personal testing, I get more power to the prop with a ZTW 100A HV esc than I did with the Castle Ice 100A.

Hey Moose! I understand that prop sizes make a difference in determining amp draw, I guess I was just looking for more of a generalization based on Subsonic Planes motor list. On the website (http://www.subsonicplanes.com/Motrolfly_Motors.html ) they have listed both 6s and 8s prop options for each wind. I am thinking that I will go 8s (2-4s packs) to fly this beast. I currently own a Castle Ice 100 and really would rather not have to buy another ESC (thanks for the input Gary...maybe next build?).

Gary: what is your typical amp draw for your favorite prop size on the Motrolfly?

Right now I'm runnning a 19x10 Xoar on my 5320-300, and pulling in the nieghborhood of 80a (+/- 2a or so), on a fresh battery (8s).

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Ok, so going with the 5320-300 on 8s should be fine on my ICE 100... Do you guys think that if I wanted to run both 8s and 6s and switch props between, the Ice 100 on the 330kv would be better, or is this a dumb idea altogether?

robj

70cc twin V2
Ok, so going with the 5320-300 on 8s should be fine on my ICE 100... Do you guys think that if I wanted to run both 8s and 6s and switch props between, the Ice 100 on the 330kv would be better, or is this a dumb idea altogether?

Why would you want to do this? If you have a bunch of 6s batterys, stick with 6s, if you have to buy, stick with 8s. Much simpler to just pick one, then carry that through all your 30cc planes. If you plan on going 50cc electric, then 6s is the best option as they can be paired up for a 12s 50cc plane. If you are like me and would never go 50cc electric, 8s works for me. And why did I go 8s in the first place?? The first 30cc plane I bought used with 3 sets of batterys for a 8s system. I've stuck with it for 2 years now. If I didn't do that in the beginning, I would have probably gone 6s using a single battery and all. Some started with a bunch of 5s batterys and had a motor wound for 10s. Anyway...just my take.

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Why would you want to do this?

Thanks for your post. I am interested in this because I have both types of batteries in my quiver. I am in the process of selling my Trex 550 and am debating about keeping the 6s batteries or selling them. If I could use the 6s without to much trouble, I thought that might be better than buying more batteries.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Thanks for your post. I am interested in this because I have both types of batteries in my quiver. I am in the process of selling my Trex 550 and am debating about keeping the 6s batteries or selling them. If I could use the 6s without to much trouble, I thought that might be better than buying more batteries.

Many people have found the DM 5320-330kv wind great on 6s. I also think Hacker makes a great 6s wind motor too.