• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

71" AJ Slick Building, Flying, and Questions

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
The build should go about the same. The plane is pretty CG tolerant so don't worry about getting it absolutely perfect. Close is good for a maiden and then make adjustments. The major difference in the build will be regarding the new updates that made the electric and gas versions the same. If you are going electric you get to deal with a motor box extension.

gyro

GSN Contributor
The build should go about the same. The plane is pretty CG tolerant so don't worry about getting it absolutely perfect. Close is good for a maiden and then make adjustments. The major difference in the build will be regarding the new updates that made the electric and gas versions the same. If you are going electric you get to deal with a motor box extension.

+1 to what Nate said. All the 3dhs airplanes go together nearly identical. Maybe take a peak at the 72 Extra or 74 Edge manuals, as those cover their newer airplanes that have the dual use design.

G

Well got plane done today with 5000 mah 4s packs against wing tube it's balancing at 157mm from leading edge of wing with rudder servo in back and everything as far as back as I can with a60-5s I will fly this weekend it's in the suggested cg range but I see some 4000 mah packs in future

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Guys I need a little help with my profile build project using parts from my wrecked 70" FB slick. You can find the build log here: http://www.3drcforums.com/showthrea...the-ashes-of-a-70-quot-RIP-AJ-Slick-Build-Log

My question has to do with the thrust line. I spent some time looking at pictures and it appears that the main wing is a little lower than the thrust line of the motor while the Horizontal stab is a little higher than it. I can't quite verify it though because none of the attached pictures were taken with my issue in mind ;) Now that my slick is trashed it is really hard for me to do any measurements or take any pics of what it should look like.

I am hoping one of you 71 slick owners out there would be willing to post a picture of a straight-on side view of your fully assembled slick. You will know it is straight on because you won't be able to see much of top or bottom of the wing. You should also not be able to see much of the leading edge of the main wing. Any help on this would be HUGELY appreciated! I want my finished plane to fly somewhat like the ones we know and love in post-stall and I have a hunch this might be important ;) Thanks in advance!

-Nate

well I got to maiden slick today and all I can say is it is awesome it will balloon a little when you cut power off but not to bad I think I found my new favorite plane

SteveT.

100cc
If a plane is ballooning on landing or slowing down, it is tail heavy. What is happening is that the stabilizer is stalling before the wing is, which causes the ballooning....

SteveT.

gyro

GSN Contributor
well I got to maiden slick today and all I can say is it is awesome it will balloon a little when you cut power off but not to bad I think I found my new favorite plane

Hey Ben, glad you're having so much fun with your Slick, the 71 is a true classic for sure.

I'm not smart enough to diagnose your balloon issue from a single post... So I'll point you to the people I trust. I'm sure it's mostly stuff you already know, or have already seen, but here is a great article about landing a 3D airplane:
http://www.3drcforums.com/content.php?120-How-to-Land-a-3D-airplane

And here is probably the most widely accepted, and most comprehensive trim chart:
http://nsrca.us/documents/trimming/TrimmingChart.pdf

One trick I've done in the past did on a 3D plane that I had a neutral or rear CG on, was to add a mix of 1-2% nose down elevator to zero throttle, this way it made landing easier.

Good luck, and happy flying!

-G

I'm not going to do anything to slick yet there was a good cross wind at field yesterday and it was inconstant I was very impressed on how a60-5s pulled plane around a lot better than my yak even when it ballooned it was very predictable and easy to manage just a little down elevator and fly it to the ground for landing can't wait until next weekend Ben

wade

50cc
I got a great deal on an electric slick. Just out of curiosity, could you put one of the newer motorbox kits in it that handle both gas/electric. I just wondered if you could do this, and then get the gas cowl/canopy and have a gas version of this plane. I have a complete setup for a 30cc, but no electric stuff this large.

miketek

30cc
Hey guys !
Gonna start building my 71" Slick soon and i still did not make my final choice of servos on surfaces....i'm looking at the Savox SV-1271SG, 277oz of torque @ .11
What did you guys use? Is speed really important for 3D ? Gonna be using A123 batteries no reg.