• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

71" AJ Slick Building, Flying, and Questions

gyro

GSN Contributor
Hey guys !
Gonna start building my 71" Slick soon and i still did not make my final choice of servos on surfaces....i'm looking at the Savox SV-1271SG, 277oz of torque @ .11
What did you guys use? Is speed really important for 3D ? Gonna be using A123 batteries no reg.

A123 with no reg doesn't require the HV servos, as its 6.6v. If you're running Savox, then for perspective, I ran SA-1258TG on mine, plenty of torque and blistering speed. 160oz/in is plenty for a 30cc IMHO.

miketek

30cc
A123 with no reg doesn't require the HV servos, as its 6.6v. If you're running Savox, then for perspective, I ran SA-1258TG on mine, plenty of torque and blistering speed. 160oz/in is plenty for a 30cc IMHO.
Does it make a big difference having servos with really high speed ??? I got servos that run at .15 now.....i guess i will have to adjust my flying ! ;)

gyro

GSN Contributor
Does it make a big difference having servos with really high speed ??? I got servos that run at .15 now.....i guess i will have to adjust my flying ! ;)

To me, it's more crisp coming out of maneuvers, and easier to make some small corrections. It doesn't make a huge difference unless your one of those 1% of people who actually need obscene speed.
However, once you have "enough" torque to handle the controls as any speed, everything beyond that is wasted.

miketek

30cc
Hey guys !
Was checking out the parts of my 71" slick before starting the build and i noticed that the aileron gap is sealed.......that may be a stupid question but.....what does this affect ??? Should i do this to all my planes ? Would i see a difference on flight caracteristics ?

This may help. Straight from the ama site.

"We have to review a bit of theory to answer this question. We don’t need Bernoulli or any of that fancy stuff; airplanes fly because the wing pushes down on the air and the air pushes back up against the bottom of the wing. This is a bit of an over-simplification, but that’s okay for right now.The high-pressure air on the bottom wants to leak upward through the aileron hinge gap. The effect of high-pressure air leaking out from under the wing, through the gap between the wing and aileron, is bad. This leakage causes a loss of lift and hampers good roll control.The problem of aileron hinge-line leakage gets worse when the airspeed is low and the angle of attack is high, and it gets even worse when aileron is drooped. High angles of attack result from pulling “Gâ€s or from flying slowly. As the angle of attack increases, the leak worsens.
The leak is further worsened when you apply aileron control. The depressed aileron forces the air downward so that the local air pressure is even greater. The leaking air squirts out as a “sheet†that eventually breaks up and joins the airflow past the wing. Until it breaks up, that sheet of air looks like an aileron pointed the wrong way. It’s not made from wood, but it is real.Another problem that can occur with ailerons is adverse yaw, which is yaw in the opposite direction of the desired roll. Sealing the gaps gets rid of the leakage problem and reduces (but not eliminates) adverse yaw. It also makes the ailerons more powerful, so you can reduce the aileron throw and still get the same control effectiveness.Aileron seals have no bad effects that I am aware of. They can actually have good effects, such as saving servo power, preventing flutter, and making the airplane behave better during takeoff and landing."

My canopy stubs or what ever you wanna call them. Have seen better days. One side broke off today. Iv got some cf rods I can replace them with. But I was thinking of using some sort of collar on the airframe it self. The holes on the airframe are oblong also. Any thoughts? O yeah [MENTION=3]GYRO[/MENTION] found some 3drcf bling.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386898932880.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386898932880.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 260
  • uploadfromtaptalk1386898955932.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386898955932.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 289
  • uploadfromtaptalk1386898979293.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386898979293.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 259

gyro

GSN Contributor
My canopy stubs or what ever you wanna call them. Have seen better days. One side broke off today. Iv got some cf rods I can replace them with. But I was thinking of using some sort of collar on the airframe it self. The holes on the airframe are oblong also. Any thoughts? O yeah [MENTION=3]GYRO[/MENTION] found some 3drcf bling.

Looks awesome :)

I've got your video from today on the phone still, I'll get it posted soon :)

SnowDog

My canopy stubs or what ever you wanna call them. Have seen better days. One side broke off today. Iv got some cf rods I can replace them with. But I was thinking of using some sort of collar on the airframe it self. The holes on the airframe are oblong also. Any thoughts? O yeah @GYRO found some 3drcf bling.

Cut them off flush, then drill them out and replace them with new dowel rod or cf rod...install with epoxy...done.!