• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

65" Vyper Discussion Thread

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Got it thanks fellas.

Well guys it's all done and ready for it's maiden. Many thanks to you all for the help and advice. Gyro I used your recommended settings for DR/Expo. I have to tell ya I am a bit nervous and I really didn't think I would be. Any last advice before I do the deed?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
So another question... I see different opinions about using a throw meter for measuring control surface throws. I don't know those people, but I know the advice I've been getting here has been solid. So what are your thoughts on the matter? A necessary tool or just something that would only benefit me as only knowing for sure what my actual throws are when it's all said and done? In my mind I think it would be good for logging and keeping notes on a particular plane for notes and such.

Last thing. Ive been reading up on the Demon Cortex and really like what I've read so far except the price. The Vyper may not benefit too much from it, but what about other planes that aren't so stable in the air? Well even the Vyper would benefit from it I think. More likely I would more than the plane...Im thinking it would help me to achieve the harder moves and because of where I live the wind gets going pretty good.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
A throw meter is a great tool... for one thing... how are you going to make sure both elevators deflect the same? Rudder goes the same amount each direction? Ailerons equally setup?

The better attention to detail when setting up the plane, the better it will fly. The goal is to make the plane as good as you can so it flies as true as possible... thereby making you look good :)

SnowDog

Throw meters are helpful but not required...the next time you order some parts add one to your cart...until then, you can make your own or use a ruler.
Fly it without the demon first so you get to know the plane. That question could start a large debate...flying it without the demon cortex is my personal advice...this plane (and others) simply don't need it. [Oops I did it;)]

gyro

GSN Contributor
A throw meter is a great tool... for one thing... how are you going to make sure both elevators deflect the same? Rudder goes the same amount each direction? Ailerons equally setup?

The better attention to detail when setting up the plane, the better it will fly. The goal is to make the plane as good as you can so it flies as true as possible... thereby making you look good :)

Throw meters are helpful but not required...the next time you order some parts add one to your cart...until then, you can make your own or use a ruler.
Fly it without the demon first so you get to know the plane. That question could start a large debate...flying it without the demon cortex is my personal advice...this plane (and others) simply don't need it. [Oops I did it;)]

I didn't use a throw meter for the first 60 ARFs I built... I only use now to aide in dual servo elevators and multi servo wings.

On the Vyper, all you really need to do is make sure the end points are the same for the ailerons in both directions. The rudder and elevators can be eyeballed.

I have 3 of the cortex gyros, but I use them in all out 3D planes so I can get a little lower and slower on windy days. I agree with Snowdog that you don't need it on THIS plane, but when you move to a more aggressive airplane, it can really help you get the most out of it.

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Thanks Ground Hog. Got my throws sorted out. Doing the CG now and If Ive done that right which I may not have, because while sitting upright on the machine the battery was dang near to the back of the firewall. Don't think thats right. See pic below... May I ask those of you that have thi s bird where did your cg end up. I know it will be different from plane to plane, but I have a feeling my is way wrong. The manual say's
Quote:
Balancing: The Vyper can use a wide range of center-of-gravity locations. For your maiden, we suggest
a more forward CG location, since you can always move your CG rearward to suit your flying style if
necessary.
For maiden and precision flight - 170-180 mm from leading edge of wing at root
When trimming your CG, keep in mind that a “neutral†CG (one with which you can roll the airplane
inverted and the airplane neither climbs nor dives) is good for 3D aerobatics, but a more forward CG (one
with which you must hold some “down†elevator to keep the airplane flying straight while inverted) is often
better for precision flight and is much easier to land gracefully.

The only part that Im not quite sure of is "from leading edge of wing at root" I just marked out to 180mm on the ruler of my cg machine and placed the plane on top as depicted in the pic <--- LOL Im a poet and didn't even know it. BaHaHa. Seriously though I do need a bit more advice fella's. So close to putting this bad boy in the air. :flyer:

2014-12-28115422.jpg

SnowDog

Thanks Ground Hog. Got my throws sorted out. Doing the CG now and If Ive done that right which I may not have, because while sitting upright on the machine the battery was dang near to the back of the firewall. Don't think thats right. See pic below... May I ask those of you that have thi s bird where did your cg end up. I know it will be different from plane to plane, but I have a feeling my is way wrong. The manual say's
Quote:
Balancing: The Vyper can use a wide range of center-of-gravity locations. For your maiden, we suggest
a more forward CG location, since you can always move your CG rearward to suit your flying style if
necessary.
For maiden and precision flight - 170-180 mm from leading edge of wing at root
When trimming your CG, keep in mind that a “neutral” CG (one with which you can roll the airplane
inverted and the airplane neither climbs nor dives) is good for 3D aerobatics, but a more forward CG (one
with which you must hold some “down” elevator to keep the airplane flying straight while inverted) is often
better for precision flight and is much easier to land gracefully.

The only part that Im not quite sure of is "from leading edge of wing at root" I just marked out to 180mm on the ruler of my cg machine and placed the plane on top as depicted in the pic <--- LOL Im a poet and didn't even know it. BaHaHa. Seriously though I do need a bit more advice fella's. So close to putting this bad boy in the air. :flyer:

View attachment 31881

Can't see too much from your picture, but the front edge of my 6S5000 battery sits about 1" to 1-1/2" behind the firewall.

You've got the "from leading edge at wing root" correct - the leading edge of the wing, at the point where the wing meets the fuselage.

Also, I usually balance mine upside down...seems to give a better reading, not sure why, just something I heard as I was learning.

This thing is really forgiving of CG...just get it close and then put it in the air...you can make adjustments after each flight.

As long as your battery is "within the ballpark" you should be fine.

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Sorry about the picture quality older phone. Your right about battery location. I found another thread with a pic of the battery and it really is that far up. No problem...now I know and now I just need to wait for the cotton picken stupid a#$ rain to go away. :cursing:

Thanks SNOWDOG.

This pic shows where I was able to get the cg perfect...Im going to try it upside down next and see where I end up.

2014-12-28125555.jpg