• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

65" Vyper Discussion Thread

SnowDog

From the 65" Vyper assembly manual:

Balancing: The Vyper can use a wide range of center-of-gravity locations. For your maiden, we suggest a more forward CG location, since you can always move your CG rearward to suit your flying style if necessary.

For maiden and precision flight - 170-180 mm from leading edge of wing at root

When trimming your CG, keep in mind that a “neutral†CG (one with which you can roll the airplane inverted and the airplane neither climbs nor dives) is good for 3D aerobatics, but a more forward CG (one with which you must hold some “down†elevator to keep the airplane flying straight while inverted) is often
better for precision flight and is much easier to land gracefully.

Control Throws -
Ailerons -
Low Rate 15 degrees 30% exponential
High Rate 30 degrees 70% exponential
Elevator-
Low Rate 15 degrees 30% exponential
High Rate Maximum possible throw, at least 45 degrees 75% exponential
Rudder-
Low Rate 30 degrees 30% exponential
High Rate 45 degrees 75% exponential

Make your first flight with the controls set on low rates. During the trimming phase, we recommend landing with some throttle, and not attempting to “dead stick†the airplane. This may mean you need to time your flights and keep them a bit shorter than usual. After your first flights, check all control connections and motor and prop mounts for tightness.

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Question, Should I have plugged the center hole in the firewall as I did with the motor mount holes or can I use that as a reference for the new motor? Sorry about picture quality, came from my phone.

2014-12-21 09.39.59.jpg

gyro

GSN Contributor
Question, Should I have plugged the center hole in the firewall as I did with the motor mount holes or can I use that as a reference for the new motor? Sorry about picture quality, came from my phone.

View attachment 31831

Nope. The shaft that protrudes slightly from the rear of the motor needs that opening. It also helps move air through to aid with cooling

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Sorry I wasn't very clear on this one. I meant do I need to plug that one and re drill another one like I will be doing for the motor mount bolts. Think I will be okay, it's just the bolt pattern that doesn't match up. The center is still the center right?

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
No worries... what would make me frustrated would be for you to not ask and then have a screwed up experience with a fantastic plane.