• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

quadracer

100cc
The 3DRCForums -OFF TOPIC- Thread

I posted this on "that other forum," but thought it might help some of the members here as well-

What is a spotter's "job," exactly? I know the obvious, like letting the pilot know someone else is taking off or landing/having problems/out on the field, but while the pilot is flying, what is the spotter expected to do?

If I'm "spotting" for someone, I do the above, but I don't know what else, if anything, is expected. I would help with orientation of the plane at a distance, but I'm normally spotting for 3D fliers, so distance really isn't an issue.

A spotter's job is to watch other traffic at all times to keep your pilot and them from meeting in the middle. If you think your pilot and someone else are going to end up on a collision course, it's your call to tell them to knock it off or give them a direction. I've been told I sound like a nascar spotter at times. When my pilot is nearing other traffic, I'll tell them "Stay low, stay low, stay low........all clear" , "Plane coming on your inside", or "Break right/left hard!" Too often I hear someone's spotter tell their pilot "Oh that looked cool, do it again!" That means they're not watching traffic. You know what looks cool as a spectator? A spotter not paying attention resulting in a spectacular midair. Always Always....watch for traffic. That's the spotter's job.

teookie

70cc twin V2
Also, spotting is not as easy as it sounds and some people are better at it than others.

For example, I myself am a terrible spotter. Ha ha. Sad but true. :(

ryan_m

100cc
Also, spotting is not as easy as it sounds and some people are better at it than others.

For example, I myself am a terrible spotter. Ha ha. Sad but true. :(

Me too. I do ok for a few minutes then I start forgetting to call out something, at least out loud. In my head I'm screaming to dodge left! But my mouth forgets to say it out loud..

RCAddict16

70cc twin V2
Does helping someone's flying count? I helped an older guy at my club with his micro heli, he couldn't figure out which way it was going at times so I told him.

gyro

GSN Contributor
The 3DRCForums -OFF TOPIC- Thread

I've never flown with a spotter... Looking forward to the help one day

njswede

150cc
I've never flown with a spotter... Looking forward to the help one day

I have. It was a requirement for new members in one of my clubs. But he told me I was better off flying alone. Might have been because he was afraid I would hit him with the plane...

And, oh, I've been flying FPV with a spotter too. In fact, I don't think I would want to ever fly FPV without one...

RCAddict16

70cc twin V2
Really? That's odd. All I had to do was take off, do 5 circuits and 5 figure 8s, then land. I aced it the first time :) everyone was saying congrats and I was like what??? I can fly inverted a fot off the deck and you think its good that I can fly circles?

Spotters not so much a requirement in the UK as we can pretty much fly wherever within reason...large gassers at a club or in the middle of nowhere...so spotting is normally a flying buddy thing where yeah watch if there are a couple of planes in the air...if a group of you flying...but mostly its offering second opinion on wind direction or technical issues if something isn't quite right

eg

'You hear that?? sounds like the motor is making a funny sound.....'
'Why are you worried about how the motor sounds.....what about the smoke coming out from the canopy??'