• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Saying goodbye to AMA?

Daytonarc

70cc twin V2
AMA has already sued (in August 2014) over essentially the same points. FAA has overstepped 336 and FAA has incorrectly categorized model airplanes as "aircraft". It will be interesting to see how this particular suit goes.
Since the DOT is in charge of these rules I wonder how long untill rc cars are defined as motor vehicles and forced to comply with government safety standards. :oblong: This makes as much sense as classifying model airplanes as aircraft.

Judge

70cc twin V2
Since the DOT is in charge of these rules I wonder how long untill rc cars are defined as motor vehicles and forced to comply with government safety standards. :oblong: This makes as much sense as classifying model airplanes as aircraft.

People have to understand that the FAA/DOT are NOT the ones who categorized model airplanes as aircraft. Congress did in Section 336 of P.L. 112-95. All the FAA/DOT have done is started to act on the consequences of that classification.

From 336:

(c) Model Aircraft Defined.--In this section, the term ``model aircraft'' means an unmanned aircraft that is--

AMA is trying to get that wording changed to define us as something like a "device" or "vehicle". Ultralights are not aircraft by definition. They are vehicles. And as a result they do not have to register or even have an FAA issued pilot's license. And they carry actual people and can fly farther and higher than most models!!

If I won it, I would give chickenballs a big chunk of it and turn him loose on congress!:dancing-chicken:
Off topic, I know but I buy a flying field and start a high-quality, lower price ARF, made in the USA, company, gas and glow, covered in Monokote that would stick like the old days. I'd also have a huge warehouse for private builders to have all the room to build and teach, living facilities for flyers and builders, and storage for those who wanted keep a few planes there. Bring jobs back to the USA and be the happiest RC flyers in the world. I got some tickets, maybe it will happen.

Cryhavoc38

New to GSN!
Rudolph, sounds great but in reality, by the time a year had gone, you would be tired of the mess those people had left behind at your field, the utter disrespect some would show your build facility, kitchen and living areas, and for those USA employee's, as their boss, you would probably be tired of them wanting all that time off to go fly and constantly asking for raises. ;)

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
Off topic, I know but I buy a flying field and start a high-quality, lower price ARF, made in the USA, company, gas and glow, covered in Monokote that would stick like the old days. I'd also have a huge warehouse for private builders to have all the room to build and teach, living facilities for flyers and builders, and storage for those who wanted keep a few planes there. Bring jobs back to the USA and be the happiest RC flyers in the world. I got some tickets, maybe it will happen.
I think people would like to discuss their dreams about the lottery money too, so I started a thread in the "off topic" section here. It should be fun to watch. I agree there needs to be an American arf company but the chinese work for like ten bucks a month so we can't compete price wise. http://giantscalenews.com/threads/what-would-you-do-with-all-that-money.4361/

Last edited:
Rudolph, sounds great but in reality, by the time a year had gone, you would be tired of the mess those people had left behind at your field, the utter disrespect some would show your build facility, kitchen and living areas, and for those USA employee's, as their boss, you would probably be tired of them wanting all that time off to go fly and constantly asking for raises. ;)
Seems like you worked for a lousy boss or company, employees would be paid well and have objective based reviews and only a few in management. Old school, the way it used to be - the American way, made in America, thank-you. Just let me have the chance to make lives matter. No more comments here - go to off topics.

Cryhavoc38

New to GSN!
lol, no bad companies in my past..I worked for some great companies. Its just the reality of life. With the good employees, you get some not so good ones who take advantage.

We can all make lives matter and better and it doesn't require winning the jackpot in order to do so

Last edited:

Bbcorvette18

70cc twin V2
I don't understand why people think the AMA didn't do anything. Like it or not quads are radio controlled aircraft and should be covered by the AMA. Clearly the FAA did not agree with the AMA's recomendations and there was nothing the AMA could do until the FAA made the rule. Now is when they can look into legal actions to obtain the definition on if this is in fact legal or not. As was stated earlier there is already a pending case on whether model aircraft should be defined as aircraft or not. Until that case is finished we'll have to comply with the FAA if we want to fly.

Even if your flying from a private field the airspace is federal and you will be subject to the consequences of flying without registering. Someone will be made an example of. It won't be me.