• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Saying goodbye to AMA?

Robotech

70cc twin V2
Re: Dumping AMA (insurance) and gong private.

The downside would be two fold. First one will be the cost especially in light of the "rise of the Quads". The insurance provided through the AMA is very inexpensive for the liability limits it offers. In addition, in the case of clubs they offer low cost liability for the land owner (big one there) and liability protection for club officers.

Secondly, again in the club site perspective, who is going to want to be the insurance Sheriff? Is the member's homeowners policy adequate? Is he paid up and current? In the case of hosted events, who is going to want all the hassle involved with checking visiting flyers?

One card, no hassle, and good protection for 75 bucks a year. No brainer.

Last edited:

Krzy4RC

GSN Contributor
I just went through the whole conference. I think the FAA would love us to keep arguing the details, $5, 400 ft, personal information, etc..

Where I think the AMA Leadership has missed the boat is the foundation that the FAA is ignoring Congressional directive 336. I am not even close to saying I will drop out of AMA. Its our only way to combat this (that is staying as a group).

But, by Hoots own words he said:

1. They are not trying to prevent attacks with this (he admits this will not do that)
2. Its not an AMA problem
3. They want to educate the ignorant which are growing at an enormous rate.

They could have easily made the interpretation that if you fly any UAS aircraft for reacreational purpose, you have a choice...

1. Join a CBO AND follow their rules
or
2. Register

Then, that would be inline with the spirit and intent of 336.

I think we need to stay together as an organization to fight this basic foundation, but I am leaning towards the belief that we may need some leadership change to someone not trying to put bandaids on the problem, but solving the core issue.

I do not think that anything that is coming in the near future that he spoke about is a problem. Follow AMA rules, register, we leave you alone. BUT, it lays ground work for stricter and more limiting actions in the future based on "rules already in place". We combat that by getting the intent of congress to leave CBO based recreation flying alone, confirmed in the courts.

So, the fact that the AMA did not immediately file for injunctive relief in the courts (with my money) and is forcing individuals to do this instead, tells me the leadership is sweating the small stuff and missing the big picture.

In my belief, congress is telling the FAA that if a modeller is an AMA member and follows the AMA rules, then the FAA is to LEAVE US ALONE.

I will be considering this next election.

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
It is interesting to see some of the takes on this. I agree people need to step down. I still think that it was the plan from the beginning to incorporate the faa/ama fees all together. That was the reason for the ama rate hike.Everyone gets upset, then the ama swoops in and saves the day by streamlining the process and making the faa registration "included" in your yearly subscription. "And if you act now......we will throw in no 400 ft limit, absolutely free just by joining"!!!! I think there has been some behind the scenes Tom Foolery between ama and the faa. Time will tell.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
It is interesting to see some of the takes on this. I agree people need to step down. I still think that it was the plan from the beginning to incorporate the faa/ama fees all together. That was the reason for the ama rate hike.Everyone gets upset, then the ama swoops in and saves the day by streamlining the process and making the faa registration "included" in your yearly subscription. "And if you act now......we will throw in no 400 ft limit, absolutely free just by joining"!!!! I think there has been some behind the scenes Tom Foolery between ama and the faa. Time will tell.

I know where your coming from. It's a shame that the AMA acts more like a "Union Rep" than an institution when it comes to member association. But the fact is almost all of the leadership in this country is wealth driven and "self centered". IMHO this is man kinds biggest flaw.

RJ 706

70cc twin V2
Yep, time for AMA leadership to resign... Can we impeach them? ;)

Might need to make some sweeping changes, from Bob Brown down to all the district reps. The AMA is supposed to work for its membership, and they aren't doing it.

Our representative voted against the President and his followers.