• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Saying goodbye to AMA?

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
That I know of, this thread is about the AMA going away. I don't know of anyone on this thread saying "don't register with the faa." And like it or not, quads or hexes or fixed wing aircraft not flying with line of sight and through goggles and gps aid is not the same as my aerobatic plane or a scale warbird and is not in the same catagory.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I read a few post, not all, and felt I should respond. I had sent a letter and email to my congressman a few weeks ago. Yesterday he actually called me. He said he and most congressman he has talked with is not happy with what the FAA has done. He said they are currently rewriting the legislation to make more defined as to what each aspect is. Basically separating "hobbyist model aircraft" non hobbyest. so let's give them the time needed to make thing's happen. It was also noted in the conversation that something does have to be done in regards to the issues being created with the muli's and such. My opinion was to have the FCC eliminate the transmission of video from the vehicles without special permitting. If the FCC made it illegal in general then they can't be sold to every Joe Some.
I know some guys won't like that but in reality I and most AMA members are line of sight. So, as I told my congressman the line of sight and AMA chartered clubs should be the focus of how to separate us modelers from the non.

I registered for three years because it was free and I suspect clubs and fly-ins are going to require the certification because it is currently the law. In three years from now I'll have a better sense of what clubs and meets are requiring so it's not a big deal. The CC I used expires before renewal so the FAA won't be able to do anything about auto renewal. I'd rather abide by the law so not to be hassled by the man when I flying my beautiful planes or my flying camera which I use for great pictures, not flying nea real planes or into prisons. I doubt the bad guys are registering anything so current law seems more about money, in three years it better not be more than $5.

Anyway, enjoy your flying and landing with the wheels side down.

Noledad

New to GSN!
I read a few post, not all, and felt I should respond. I had sent a letter and email to my congressman a few weeks ago. Yesterday he actually called me. He said he and most congressman he has talked with is not happy with what the FAA has done. He said they are currently rewriting the legislation to make more defined as to what each aspect is. Basically separating "hobbyist model aircraft" non hobbyest. so let's give them the time needed to make thing's happen. It was also noted in the conversation that something does have to be done in regards to the issues being created with the muli's and such. My opinion was to have the FCC eliminate the transmission of video from the vehicles without special permitting. If the FCC made it illegal in general then they can't be sold to every Joe Some.
I know some guys won't like that but in reality I and most AMA members are line of sight. So, as I told my congressman the line of sight and AMA chartered clubs should be the focus of how to separate us modelers from the non.
Completely agree!

sweetpea

100cc
I saw some FB posts today in the model scale area that the FAA are saying AMA members are exempt from registration. Not even needing to use AMA number.

Looks like FAA is recognizing the they F-ed up. We'll see how it all plays out before the 19th. I have no plans to register until flying weather anyway

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
They did not necessarily screw up, they are attempting to get a handle on all the jackasses out there doing stupid stuff and don't know quite how. One analogy I use and have used with folks that are quad copter pilots as to whether they were aircraft was, " Grave digger is a motor vehicle but you sure as hell can't give him a tag and turn him loose on the highways! Can you?"

Flyin4fun

70cc twin V2
They did not necessarily screw up, they are attempting to get a handle on all the jackasses out there doing stupid stuff and don't know quite how. One analogy I use and have used with folks that are quad copter pilots as to whether they were aircraft was, " Grave digger is a motor vehicle but you sure as hell can't give him a tag and turn him loose on the highways! Can you?"
And here I thought a gravedigger was a backhoe....

M

Matt

We had Marke Gibson from the FAA at our field just south of DC... The only one in the area still open... We also had bob brown on hand. YOU STILL MUST REGISTER. That is word for word what he said. No one is exempt. Marke had never been to an rc field so my question is why was he qualified to be in charge of the whole uas issue with the FAA?? He got to fly a model airplane for the first time though. He was on a buddy box. He was also informed the entire flight was over 400'... I think it was an eye opener for him..

M

Matt

Marke Gibson from the FAA is in the green and that is the airplane he flew

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 377

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
No disrespect, but how on earth can someone be discussing something like this and not even know these things about RC? This is very disturbing.