• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Rant......Pre assembled fuel tanks.

camss69

70cc twin V2
Back in the day using Tygon for a clunk line with no brass tube I had the clunk get stuck in the front of the tank after a blender. It caused a dead stick and an unplanned landing out in the field but luckily just some bent gear and no other damage. I've used a brass tube in the clunk line ever since. I've never run straight Viton as a clunk line though..

I was wondering about using a soldering iron to make the holes but then a friend recommended using a cone shaped sanding/grinding attachment on my Dremel to make the holes and that worked great. I think it's actually some kind of grinding stone looked like a mini uni-bit but it works great. It came with the Dremel and I've never really had a use for it until now.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I normally like to put brass tube in my tank line, but when I use Viton I don't because it is so much more flexible. Unless you have some sort of fill line or something protruding into the tank it really can't get caught on anything.

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
Noob question here... when you disconnect the fuel line from your refueling tank does the pressure of the full tank of gas cause any significant amount of gas to escape before putting the stopper in? Hope that made sense....
Just keep the end above the level of the fuel and it will not spill. The same as if you had the fitting on the top of the tank.

crashflow

70cc twin V2
Noob question here... when you disconnect the fuel line from your refueling tank does the pressure of the full tank of gas cause any significant amount of gas to escape before putting the stopper in? Hope that made sense....
if it is properly vented then there will be no pressure build up.

As ericb said, you just have to have enough length on the fill line so you can hold it above the level in the tank. The same applies with a regular fill line. I learned the hard way on my first 50cc gas plane I thought it would be cool to hide fuel dot on the bottom of the plane, what a pain, it would siphon the tank dry. Ended up moving the dot, rather than put a 2ft fill line on it.

Like Eric says, keep the fill line above the top of the tank when connecting/disconnecting the fueler r and you wont get any syphonage. Just a little drip of 2 from the fueler.

Pretty much all I have ever used is exactly what you are curious about. SWB, PSP or Sullivan aluminum caps with Dubro (GAS) stopper. Apparently a new revision has been released that is safe for not only gas, but smoke oil as well. Glow is still in a field all its own. As for fuel line and clunk set up, just the norm of a heavy (Large) Dubro connected to true Tygon. Three line tanks to eliminate "T" in carb line. Once assembled, I pressurize the tanks under water to check or leaks. Occasionally I will find one that could have raised havoc had it not been caught. A simple tightening of the center screw and good to go. "NEVER" anything other than "non-ethanol" fuel!!!

After reading more of this thread and seeing/hearing some of you guys' set ups, I am convinced my tanks are slightly old school. I will say one thing, the water bottle tanks are kinda pretty in an airframe. And obviously very functional. I have considered switching it up like @Mikeq and ordering. But I just have two really serious issues. One being, I "LIKE" building my own tanks so I know how they are set up. And two, I just have a really hard time changing "anything" that has been working so darned well. Oh sure, square wheels on a car would be all kinds of fun, but I think I will stay with my round doughnuts. :spongebob:

I kinda feel like stangflyer. But those using the new type tanks will have deaf ears hearing about Dubro tanks. Things always change and if you are in the change age group you use the newest ideas and equipment. You all worry about leaks though and I found I never had a leak with a Dubro thank and Sullivan aluminum cap. I suspect other brands of aluminum caps are good but Sullivan was the first. I found you had to sandpaper the cap a bit to fit the Dubro tank. Always used the Dubro stopper. I saw many leaking tanks and they were always the tanks that came with kits. I hated putting a tank together but soon found I enjoyed the challenge and loved it when I dunked it in a water bucket and found no leaks. Those clear plastic bottles look a bit delicate to me. Gas engines rattle the heck out of everything. Try to tear up a Dubro tank. They are tough.