• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Rant......Pre assembled fuel tanks.

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
I had a few issues with Fortitude tanks and switched over to the fiji tanks with PSP caps after I the last issue which filled a brand new plane full of gas. If there is any question as to how much gas is left, see the attached picture, my gas tank is on the right and the DA120 sucked it dry! I was troubleshooting engine troubles and wanted to fly it until it quit on its own or run out of gas and this is what I found when I landed :)

Attachments

• 20150320_165941.jpg
    20150320_165941.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 347

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I had a few issues with Fortitude tanks and switched over to the fiji tanks with PSP caps after I the last issue which filled a brand new plane full of gas. If there is any question as to how much gas is left, see the attached picture, my gas tank is on the right and the DA120 sucked it dry! I was troubleshooting engine troubles and wanted to fly it until it quit on its own or run out of gas and this is what I found when I landed :)
Good to the last drop.;)

Mikeq

150cc

You convinced me...just ordered a Fuji tank with PSP hardware from Chief for my Yak...I don't want gas in my Yak outside the tank that is..LOL Actually I usually switch tanks or at least re plumb the existing tank every year anyway. Been wanting to try the water bottle method ever since people started to use them. Love the transparency for residue fuel or any foreign matter that shouldn't be in there...:)

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
You convinced me...just ordered a Fuji tank with PSP hardware from Chief for my Yak...I don't want gas in my Yak outside the tank that is..LOL Actually I usually switch tanks or at least re plumb the existing tank every year anyway. Been wanting to try the water bottle method ever since people started to use them. Love the transparency for residue fuel or any foreign matter that shouldn't be in there...:)
You'll like them much better..

I recently switched to a 64oz Juice bottle with PSP cap and fittings. I have always run a 3 line tank to avoid a T on the fill line. Seen more than a few air leaks ground planes in the middle of a contest.

However I decided to do it differently this time. Instead of a 3 line tank I used an extra PSP fitting and put the fill/drain on the bottom of the tank. Best of both worlds, single line in the tank, no T on the fill side.

So far it works great, and you get a nice little water fountain effect when filling the tank....Very soothing before a flight.

IMG_3688.JPG
IMG_3689.JPG

Last edited:

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
You don't see very many 3-line setups with the fill/empty connector is at the bottom. The PSP fittings have a nice viton o-ring so should not be a problem. What I like about it is you don't need that inside tube going from top to bottom to get in the way of the main pickup.

If I can make one suggestion you may want to insert a section of brass tube or some even use a straw over the viton to prevent that cluck from coming back over and pinching itself in a bad spot.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I am curious for those that are using the DuBro tanks what seal are you using? Is the DuBro gas seal okay? I have toyed with the idea of using one with the SWB or PSP aluminum cap and use my PSP fittings through the top of the tank.

View attachment 16391 View attachment 16392
Pretty much all I have ever used is exactly what you are curious about. SWB, PSP or Sullivan aluminum caps with Dubro (GAS) stopper. Apparently a new revision has been released that is safe for not only gas, but smoke oil as well. Glow is still in a field all its own. As for fuel line and clunk set up, just the norm of a heavy (Large) Dubro connected to true Tygon. Three line tanks to eliminate "T" in carb line. Once assembled, I pressurize the tanks under water to check or leaks. Occasionally I will find one that could have raised havoc had it not been caught. A simple tightening of the center screw and good to go. "NEVER" anything other than "non-ethanol" fuel!!!

After reading more of this thread and seeing/hearing some of you guys' set ups, I am convinced my tanks are slightly old school. I will say one thing, the water bottle tanks are kinda pretty in an airframe. And obviously very functional. I have considered switching it up like @Mikeq and ordering. But I just have two really serious issues. One being, I "LIKE" building my own tanks so I know how they are set up. And two, I just have a really hard time changing "anything" that has been working so darned well. Oh sure, square wheels on a car would be all kinds of fun, but I think I will stay with my round doughnuts. :spongebob:

You don't see very many 3-line setups with the fill/empty connector is at the bottom. The PSP fittings have a nice viton o-ring so should not be a problem. What I like about it is you don't need that inside tube going from top to bottom to get in the way of the main pickup.

If I can make one suggestion you may want to insert a section of brass tube or some even use a straw over the viton to prevent that cluck from coming back over and pinching itself in a bad spot.

I have used Viton in the tank for the past 7 years on 40% planes and not once used a straw to keep it at the back of the tank, I use a fairly heavy clunk and it is fine with me if flops forward on a downline, that is where the gas is. I have yet to have one get hung up at the front of the tank, but these are pretty big tanks (previously used 3W round tanks) with room for the clunk to move around, plus getting rid of the 2nd line inside makes it less likely. I am not saying it can't or won't ever happen, but it hasn't happened yet and I have flown a lot of long downlines the last few years in IMAC.

Stang, I hear you on difficulty with changing, I ran 3W round tanks with Viton and 3 lines for 6 years before changing over this winter. I just needed more fuel onboard and didn't want to do a Dubro tank or a header tank setup. Wayne Matthews flew hundreds of flights last year with the PSP juice bottle setup without a straw on the Viton and had no problems....he convinced me to change.

A good tip on the juice/water bottle setup is to use a soldering iron to make the holes, drill bits can crack and chip the bottles if you aren't careful.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I have used Viton in the tank for the past 7 years on 40% planes and not once used a straw to keep it at the back of the tank, I use a fairly heavy clunk and it is fine with me if flops forward on a downline, that is where the gas is. I have yet to have one get hung up at the front of the tank, but these are pretty big tanks (previously used 3W round tanks) with room for the clunk to move around, plus getting rid of the 2nd line inside makes it less likely. I am not saying it can't or won't ever happen, but it hasn't happened yet and I have flown a lot of long downlines the last few years in IMAC.

Stang, I hear you on difficulty with changing, I ran 3W round tanks with Viton and 3 lines for 6 years before changing over this winter. I just needed more fuel onboard and didn't want to do a Dubro tank or a header tank setup. Wayne Matthews flew hundreds of flights last year with the PSP juice bottle setup without a straw on the Viton and had no problems....he convinced me to change.

A good tip on the juice/water bottle setup is to use a soldering iron to make the holes, drill bits can crack and chip the bottles if you aren't careful.
:way_to_go: