• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Rant......Pre assembled fuel tanks.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
I'm confused, sounded like you were arguing that using water bottles was not worth it and the savings was not much......but then you say you've never used a Dubro tank?

No sir I have "always used Fiji bottles" with PSP fittings. If you read my initial post I was only commenting on the wording Big weight savings and I simply compared that big is really relative as when some people fly having 20+ minutes of fuel on board, or use twin 500+ mAh batteries or blink stuff on that only adds weight. My problem right now with my 91" EF Extra is I do not like the round bottles and not because of mounting. I am not really a fan of using the 32 oz tank and just filling it to 24 oz because it is long and in the past I did not like the CG shift from take-off to landing.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Ahh, OK, I got lost with the little "sub rant" about bling weight LOL:).

If I may say so, you are over-thinking the weight shift deal and fuel issue with that 91 with a DA70 on the nose. Get that thing done, tuned up and broken in and you will be wishing you had a 32oz tank because the plane simply does not care and you will not feel the difference at all. Just butt that tank against the tube and you are set. There is no performance change in that plane from take off to landing and the weight is nothing. I've got long over 100 flights on mine and had the same debate as you, but only for a day or two. Once you fly it, you will understand.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Thanks Terry I am hoping to maiden it this weekend. Right now the 25.7 oz Propel (round) tank is in it (see below). I have the Fiji 32 oz standing buy as well and I did buy the SWB tank fitting for a 24 oz Dubro that I may or may not use for reasons like you mention.

I need to maiden it quick as I am going crazy. Between work, family travel (grandkids birthdays) and winds I have not yet got it up. In a week I am leaving for 2 weeks in Asia for work to boot.

FullSizeRender.jpg

crashflow

70cc twin V2
I am having small issues with your comment "big weight savings". Is there a weigh saving, yes I am sure but Big, I don't think so. I am finishing up a 91" EF Extra and in doing a lot of reading I see people using 24 oz tanks and 32 oz tank for the most part. I also read how much fuel is left in those 32 oz tanks after they land. That extra fuel weight is considerably more than that small tank weight difference especially on takeoff. I see people using ignition mounts, really? That is heavier than a cable tie and a small piece of Velcro. Batteries are another, why do you need capacity for more than 8 flights ? Now I am not debating the merit or weakness of each of these just as you should not say "Big weight Savings" for the use of a water bottle tank over a Dubro tank.
sorry man I was just stating my opinion . I run an ibec as well to save another 5 oz. I do all I can to make them light. I did not mean to upset anybody. Sorry

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
sorry man I was just stating my opinion . I run an ibec as well to save another 5 oz. I do all I can to make them light. I did not mean to upset anybody. Sorry

Don't worry, he's got that voltage display onboard i was waiting to give him crap about;). Seriously though, good luck on the maiden. The 70 takes a few flights to really come to life, you will love that combo.

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
Don't worry, he's got that voltage display onboard i was waiting to give him crap about;). Seriously though, good luck on the maiden. The 70 takes a few flights to really come to life, you will love that combo.
And it will suck a lot of gas those first few flights.

Astrohog

70cc twin V2
I've used Dubro tanks almost exclusively since I started flying gas planes and I have never had an issue with them splitting, cracking or leaking. It is up to the user to assemble them properly to assure proper performance. I am LAZY by nature, so when the Fortitude tanks came out preassembled, I bought a couple and really liked them, but after a couple of years, I experienced a couple of failures (cracked cap, tank fitting came loose, ETC). I am about to try my first Fiji w/ PSP fittings as it seems to be the best setup going today.

Here are some of my thoughts and observations:

Dubro PROS:

- they work and I have had them last for years with virtually no maintenance.

Dubro CONS:

- heaviest of the options
- opaque, hard to see what is going on inside without disassembly
- take some effort to assemble properly
- tank CAN split on the seam due to aging or a shock load (crash, hard landing, etc.)

Fortitude PROS:

- clear, easy to see fuel level and check clunk and fittings at a glance
- lightweight
- pre-assembled

Fortitude CONS:

- cap issues (I have had a cap split)
- VERY THIN and I think this contributes to leaky fittings over time/vibration.

Fiji/PSP PROS:

- clear, easy to see fuel level and check internals at a glance
- lightweight
- long-lasting (I haven't personally experienced this yet, but seems to be common among current users)

Fiji/PSP CONS:

- a little more expensive (initially, if it lasts and works it could be cheaper over the long haul)
- NOT pre-assembled (remember, I am a bit lazy)

Feel free to add your individual experiences with each as I may have missed some pros/cons.

I am looking forward to trying the Fiji/PSP tank on my new Edge as it looks to be the best solution for me, at least initially.

Regards,

Astro

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I think you nailed it Astro. I know I have a couple of Fiji bottles that are going on four years old and I've never even opened them up. Worst thing is take the cap off, replace the internal line and go back to flying for another four years.....or until the line get's hard:way_to_go:. I will fully 100% admit that my problems with Dubro tanks were completely "noob" related and I did not have anyone to ask or show me back then.