• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion Choosing an air frame----frustrations!

gyro

GSN Contributor
How do these compare to the Extreme flight planes? What does the 59" Slick do different?

The 59" Slick is almost like a precision plane that does 3D, instead of a 3D plane that does precision. At least that was my experience with mine.

The EF planes are a little heavier, and a little more stable based on my unskilled thumbs. The 3dhs birds in this size are a little more agile I think. They're both great

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Precision Aerobatics Katana MX looks pretty cool too. A bit pricey. The Addiction xl looks like a hoot as well. A little more omph to the flight than its predeccesors. I am suprised tbe pa stuff is not more popular. This is a great help getting first hand input on all these airframes.

The 59 slick was similar to my experience with the EF 70 extra. It is slanted more towards the precision side. Mainly they lack extreme pitch authority and are not as agile as the more 3D biased airframes. They both track well, and are loved here locally by some of the older crowd that dabbles in 3D that have been in the hobby a long time.

The EF birds are heavier than the 3DHS ones with more wing area and huge elevators. They are also plug and play with the Torque V2 they sell with the combo, although many like the Motrolfly option. Also a lot less work to get the EF planes in the air as so much is done for you, and the only annoying thing with EF is hinging, by CA hinges are a snap. I replace all of mine these days with Radio South pro hinges anyways.

The 58 edge just seems to be stupid agile and was a favorite at the 38 contest this year as well as the 72" 330SC if that tells you something. That would be my pick of the 3DHS options.

cardenflyer

70cc twin V2
I believe the 59" Slick was AJ's latest and greatest design. He started out wanting the perfect precision plane that could 3D from what I understand. He is a world champion pattern pilot after all. But if I remember right the 59" and 104" are different from the rest in some ways.

Those 2 are the latest generation slicks and have much narrower fuselages. My 89 slick fuse is pretty close to the 104 fuse.

I believe the 51 and 89 are one generation and the 42 and 71 are the next one, but I am by no means a 3DHS historian. Not sure where the 126 fits in there.

The 71 slick on electric is pretty nice. I preffered it to gas version I have now.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
I wanted a 71 slick for a long time. Electric sure jumps up in price (at a glance) when you get into the 70" planes! I sure am a sucker for the orange slicks. Really cool looking. I am kicking myself for not snagging a 42" orange slick when they were in stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those 2 are the latest generation slicks and have much narrower fuselages. My 89 slick fuse is pretty close to the 104 fuse.

I believe the 51 and 89 are one generation and the 42 and 71 are the next one, but I am by no means a 3DHS historian. Not sure where the 126 fits in there.

The 71 slick on electric is pretty nice. I preffered it to gas version I have now.

Sometimes I like to compare apples with oranges.

IMGP0036.JPG

The plane on the left is a 48" Extra EXP. I don't need to fly an EF 60" EXP to know that the pitch authority is probably going to, for lack of a better term, "out-perform" my 59" slick. Having said that, you can also see the fuse width of the slick is also sized similarly. The Slick's wing tube sleeve is 5 1/2" long whereas the Extras is 5" long. I had no way of expecting how skinny this thing would appear to be.
I'm out of my league discussing aircraft design with most of the you, but my presumption is that the 59" AJS doesn't lack anything, it simiply has a differently proportioned design. The side area of the fuse is massive, and I have heard Andrew Jesky speaking about the side area requirement of F3A planes. My interpretation is that he needs a pattern plane to perform as similarly, both in knife edge as well as in a wings-level condition as possible; needing relatively little rudder/throttle compensation. Again, simply making presumptive statements, I am inclined to believe this is the basic design brief with the 59", or latest generation Slicks. Before reading these posts, I had no idea that there were generations of 3DH Slick designs. Thanks.
I will now finish speaking as though you needed my advice...
The winds have been up around 10-12mph and almost dead across the runway for the past couple weeks. The 59 simply handles these conditions with absolute aplomb. I know a decent amount of my favorable impressions of this plane are simply due to its size and tremendous power, ie I will not make any statement, express or implied that I think any other 60" plane won't perform as well. I will say that I believe it has a very balanced and extremely direct control authority that motivates you to fly in a more polished- even scale fashion?? While landing, it becomes immediately evident that it will maintain a glide slope at virtually any speed, meaning it's very predictable with a gusting cross wind and simply will not fight you when you ask it to hold a line. I feel like it both gains (pure 3D plane territory) but also sheds lift almost equally. That is what flying a precision/IMAC oriented 3D plane means to me.
FWIW I fly the little Extra in any wind I fly the 59 in and it's a complete nut. More of an adrenaline kick for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

3Daddict

70cc twin V2
I would have to recoment the 3dhs 57'' extra 330sc by scott stopps. with the following setup which I have found to be excellent "for any 60'' airframe".

Motrolfly 4315-714kv "4-cell wind"
4x HS-7245MH
CC ice lite 100
CC 10 amp BEC
Hiyin 4-cell 4000 I can not recommend this brand enough, has to be one of the best batteries out there.

You could aslo use the new CC talon 90 in substitute for the speed control and BEC listed above. I bought one I will try on a 60'' laser if I ever get the money for the airframe and batteries for one.