• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion Choosing an air frame----frustrations!

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Hmmm. Great info. I was under the impression that the MXS was the more High speed plane the Edge was the super stable in harrier and the laser had built on both and was best all around? I also always hear how the Extra is the smooth line carving one. Then I see the extra in videos doing incredible tight in flying. But skills are skills! A fairly solid harrier would be a nice feature. Decent in hover and great spins would be great too. The video of Cody tearing up the laser is flat incredible. Sounds like the 70 is just not what I am after. I am leaning towards the Mxs and Laser right now. Of course the edge is not out of the question either. Planning on ordering soon. Just not sure which way to go 100% yet. I am however enjoying the search. The laser does look big for a 60! The green MXS is just evil looking. I dig it.

Last edited by a moderator:

3dbandit

100cc
Hmmm. Great info. I was under the impression that the MXS was the more High speed plane the Edge was the super stable in harrier and the laser had built on both and was best all around? I also always hear how the Extra is the smooth line carving one. Then I see the extra in videos doing incredible tight in flying. But skills are skills! A fairly solid harrier would be a nice feature. Decent in hover and great spins would be great too. The video of Cody tearing up the laser is flat incredible. Sounds like the 70 is just not what I am after. I am leaning towards the Mxs and Laser right now. Of course the edge is not out of the question either. Planning on ordering soon. Just not sure which way to go 100% yet. I am however enjoying the search. The laser does look big for a 60! The green MXS is just evil looking. I dig it.

The MXS is great for high speed, but is also incredibly easy to fly slow,and with the wingtips (IMHO) is very very easy to high alpha.

By far the edge is the easiest of them to fly slow and "beyond the stall".

At the end of the day, all the EF 60" planes fly great, even the extra is awesome. They are all fantastic flying planes, once you buy one you will want all of them. I would just buy the one you like the looks of the most: which ever one you choose will exceed your expectations.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
At the end of the day, all the EF 60" planes fly great, even the extra is awesome. They are all fantastic flying planes, once you buy one you will want all of them. I would just buy the one you like the looks of the most: which ever one you choose will exceed your expectations.

I agree with the flying characteristics mentioned. I have had two, the Edge and Laser and both are amazing. The Edge was first and it help me so much learning rollers. I always mentioned that it made me look like a better Pilot. Then sadly it met it's demise so I went with the Laser. I did not give up a think and I say the same things about the Laser. Truth is as Jacob mentioned it seems "all the EF 60" planes fly great" . I am going to jump on the new big MXS when it comes out because I have not had an MXS and I truly believe it's going to fly great because its EF.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
The big mxs is 78" electric if my memory serves me correct? I am still learning rollers. So that is a plus too! I have been slacking on practicing them. Here is the sad thing, I had a 60" extra and sold it. I was nervous about landing it here at home. Now I kind of laugh at myself. Not a problem at all. Funny how we can get into our own heads sometimes. I am really liking the laser and mxs. They are in a dead heat with the edge in close tow. Is the laser a stronger airframe? Remember something about more carbon in the fuselage. Knowing ef the difference would be almost none even given a slightly different construction method.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Gonzo if you are looking for a plane that lands nice the Laser is amazing landing on low rates. Very clean almost hands off stable, stay away from up elevator and let it come down as she wants to and it grease's in. I only had a 48" Extra so not fair to compare but the 60" land much nicer including the 60" Edge that I had.

wedoitall

my vote is for the Laser. Just don't order it yet. I need to get my replacement one first :D I love rollers on the Laser, I can bring them down to less than 10" from the ground now. Rifle's are nice on it too.

As far as the internal structure, the Laser is different than the Edge. I picked the Edge for the 15cc gasser because of it's internal structure and ability to modify it. The laser has a one piece structure that goes forward to the firewall and has a huge cowling to cover this up. It is a very poor plane to try to make a gasser out of. My buddy did the MXS up with a DLE-20.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Has anyone tried one of these?

http://www.limitlessaero.com/apps/webstore/products/show/4008529
corvus racer.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
As far as the internal structure, the Laser is different than the Edge. I picked the Edge for the 15cc gasser because of it's internal structure and ability to modify it. The laser has a one piece structure that goes forward to the firewall and has a huge cowling to cover this up. It is a very poor plane to try to make a gasser out of. My buddy did the MXS up with a DLE-20.

Just saw the video. I have noticed on the small gas conversions they seem to be more sport aerobatic? Is that due to the weight or the "power band" of the smaller engines?