• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion Choosing an air frame----frustrations!

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
I have been looking into doing a 60" electric or 30cc size Gasser for a few weeks now. My rc budget has been weak lately and I finally saved up for an air frame. I am so surprised by how fast air frame sell out or just have not been available for months. It is winter in Michigan and i am in no big hurry. I understand enough about the business to understand the logistic an such. I am still amazed how fast some planes go. I am just looking forward to having one on the bench! I really enjoy rebuilding and repairing small engines so the gasser is a great choice for me. On the other side of the coin my nearest field is 45 min away. Some of you have seen my little field at home. I am lucky enough to be able to fly here! Now the 60" electric is just about perfect for flying at the house. Right now I am down to a 47" shp and a bunch of foamies. Any suggestions? Would it be worth it to wait and go 50cc and stick with a bigger electric for now? Most all the 30cc air frames i am interested in seem to be sold out! I am just frustrated and cant make up my mind. Feeling a little lost as my planned direction always comes up out of stock. Then there is always the wondering "whats coming down the pipe?" thoughts. All in all it is a fun dilemma!

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
I have been looking into doing a 60" electric or 30cc size Gasser for a few weeks now. My rc budget has been weak lately and I finally saved up for an air frame. I am so surprised by how fast air frame sell out or just have not been available for months. It is winter in Michigan and i am in no big hurry. I understand enough about the business to understand the logistic an such. I am still amazed how fast some planes go. I am just looking forward to having one on the bench! I really enjoy rebuilding and repairing small engines so the gasser is a great choice for me. On the other side of the coin my nearest field is 45 min away. Some of you have seen my little field at home. I am lucky enough to be able to fly here! Now the 60" electric is just about perfect for flying at the house. Right now I am down to a 47" shp and a bunch of foamies. Any suggestions? Would it be worth it to wait and go 50cc and stick with a bigger electric for now? Most all the 30cc air frames i am interested in seem to be sold out! I am just frustrated and cant make up my mind. Feeling a little lost as my planned direction always comes up out of stock. Then there is always the wondering "whats coming down the pipe?" thoughts. All in all it is a fun dilemma!

EF just announced almost all their 60" EXP airframes are back in stock, and they are pretty darn amazing. Any of those strike your fancy?

SnowDog

It is a fun dilemma! Regarding the choice of 30cc airframes in stock, I will say that there are other vendors besides the top two that seem to be able to stock 30cc gas airframes...the ones I am thinking of happen to be site sponsors here, so take a look at the site sponsor page and some of the latest product reviews to see which airframes are hot lately. Some of those sponsors are also planning new releases in the coming months as well, so keep looking! Oh, and yeah, get a 60" EXP airframe to fly at your house...and do that first, since that gives more opportunities over the winter to fly! :D

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
EF just announced almost all their 60" EXP airframes are back in stock, and they are pretty darn amazing. Any of those strike your fancy?
They are all sweet! A local guy has a 70" EF extra I may take a look at. The price is good, set up electric and it is bind and fly. I am hoping to go look at it the beginning of the week if we can get our schedules to work. If not I just may do a laser or Extra 60"

I have owned ALL of the 30cc airframes from the big 2 and some of the 60" planes. The EF 70" is my least favorite. Not enough pitch authority for my style of flying. The 60" Laser stands out in the bang for you buck category and flys pretty good compared to some of the 30cc planes. Seeing your circumstance that is the direction I would lean to.

Of the 30cc choices the 3DHS 74 Edge stands out to me, but I like the corners of the stick more than flying pretty lines like an extra.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Thanks for the input on that! Yes, I have to say I enjoy the corners as well. Sounds like maybe the laser is the way to go. I do like the MXS as well, heck I dig all of them from EF and have flown none. Now the 3DHS 74 edge looks great. I do want something that is decent in harrier so I can get it in my "field". I really think any of these would work well. I do appreciate the input!

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Has anyone flown the Katana MX from PA? Local guy is sponored so he is pushing me that way. Good looking plane though.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Thanks for the input on that! Yes, I have to say I enjoy the corners as well. Sounds like maybe the laser is the way to go. I do like the MXS as well, heck I dig all of them from EF and have flown none. Now the 3DHS 74 edge looks great. I do want something that is decent in harrier so I can get it in my "field". I really think any of these would work well. I do appreciate the input!

I've owned the 60" Laser, MXS, Edge, and Extra from EF. The best harrier in the group goes to the Edge, followed very closely by the Laser.
I've also owned all of the 3dhs 30cc class, and the 72" Extra actually felt more stable to me than the 74" Edge.

3dbandit

100cc
I have flown nearly every EF airframe and many of the 3DHS planes.

For a 60" plane, I recommend the laser if you want lines and violence. If you want really nice harriers and high alpha flight, then I would go with the MXS.

For 30cc, the 74 edge is a good option for flying on the edge of the sticks, if you want high speed with precision and tumbles then I would go with the EF 70" extra.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I have flown nearly every EF airframe and many of the 3DHS planes.

For a 60" plane, I recommend the laser if you want lines and violence. If you want really nice harriers and high alpha flight, then I would go with the MXS.

For 30cc, the 74 edge is a good option for flying on the edge of the sticks, if you want high speed with precision and tumbles then I would go with the EF 70" extra.

Jacob, have you flown the EF 60" Edge?