• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion Choosing an air frame----frustrations!

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
I have been thinking the same thing. I may just build an new indoor plane and wait. There just is not anything in my price that is calling to me. It is really snowy right now or I would feel different.

Just saw the video. I have noticed on the small gas conversions they seem to be more sport aerobatic? Is that due to the weight or the "power band" of the smaller engines?

The 15cc edge is fully 3D capable. Just I can't get the CG to work right without resorting to lead. I am going to do some modifications and get some better pilots to show it off. It is a total experiment and there are a lot of teething problems.

The power band is OK. A lot of other projects got in the way, so I did not get a ton of time on it before the season ended.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Awesome. To be honest I have not kept up on the edge. Looks promising. That would be close to the perfect plane in theory. No disrespect just a quick look I took this morning. The Velox looks good!

The 10cc was not successful for what I wanted. You had to be way into the power band for 3D flying. This is more a function of the plane being too heavy for the power available. We have a foot of snow and the holiday rush at work will mean probably no progress until February on the 15cc.

cardenflyer

70cc twin V2
I have been thinking the same thing. I may just build an new indoor plane and wait. There just is not anything in my price that is calling to me. It is really snowy right now or I would feel different.

Yup, sounds about right. We got 40s today and they are suppose to hang around for a day or two. Then back to an ice storm. Nice weather but just makes everything a mess!

I agree, might as well wait. I know companies will be releasing new products come spring. Ususally around the times of the shows. Then you won't kick yourself and think, only if I waited...

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
I here Extreme Flight alone has 5 new ones in the pipe. Decided to jump on a little 42 slick as I have the gear. Nope! Sold out after I went back to the website. That make about 6 that were gone when i made up my mind. Might have to wait until toledo.

I here Extreme Flight alone has 5 new ones in the pipe. Decided to jump on a little 42 slick as I have the gear. Nope! Sold out after I went back to the website. That make about 6 that were gone when i made up my mind. Might have to wait until toledo.

the 59" slick is currently available in both schemes. I just flew its maiden this morning. I have nothing to compare it to; I have no experience with planes this large, but I can tell you it was absolutely trouble free. That's what stuck out the most for me: how easy the thing was to fly. It's got plenty of power- 480 Motrofly - 6S - 15X7, but not nearly as much of a handful as I anticipated. The way I see it, you have to get a Slick at one point or another any way. Might as well be your next plane.

gyro

GSN Contributor
the 59" slick is currently available in both schemes. I just flew its maiden this morning. I have nothing to compare it to; I have no experience with planes this large, but I can tell you it was absolutely trouble free. That's what stuck out the most for me: how easy the thing was to fly. It's got plenty of power- 480 Motrofly - 6S - 15X7, but not nearly as much of a handful as I anticipated. The way I see it, you have to get a Slick at one point or another any way. Might as well be your next plane.

The 59" Slick is it's own animal, and not similar in flying characteristics to the other Slicks. This should be understood before purchase, so that expectations are realistic.

The 59" Slick is it's own animal, and not similar in flying characteristics to the other Slicks. This should be understood before purchase, so that expectations are realistic.

From what I understand the 57" Extra is a better option for high post-stall stability. The yellow/blue one is in stock.