• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 35% Krill Extra 330SC....CUSTOM-ARF!!!

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
(Posting from wife's PC)

Stang....my plan is to have it ready for next season. We will be moving in Jan/Feb to our new home in PA. Will have it ready for paint by then, which is the last thing needed.

Earle... back when you were splitting the cowl, you said you were doing the cuts with the Dremel... are you doing all of these cuts with the Dremel?? If so... really impressive straight lines !! Any kind of guide ?
Yes, they're all with a Dremel and the larger diamond cut off wheel. I just use blue tape as a guide.....and steady hands gi with years of pistol shooting:cheers:

Mikeq

150cc
(Posting from wife's PC)

We will be moving in Jan/Feb to our new home in PA.

Pennsylvania?? What happened? They shut your coal mine down? Don't tell anyone you are married to your sister and you'll be alright..LOL The first time I went to PA we stopped at a C-store and I asked since no beer was being sold if we were in a dry county and the clerk said the whole state was dry...had to go to a restaurant to buy a six pack of beer...

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Hah!! Yep, first time I saw a drive thru beer store was in PA though. We bought 26 acres in Bucks Co and are building our dream home. It'll have my dream shop too! :adore::adore::adore:

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Oh, it's been together....and apart....and together....and apart, etc, etc. Too many times :confused:. The next time will be after paint!!!

So....I've patched up my PC a bit and backed up everything. Not sure how long it'll last. It's almost 12 years old so I'm on borrowed time anyway!

Some more on the cowling....Baffles;
I like the simple flat plate and rear air dam approach. The incoming air MUST go down and around the cylinder fins to get to the bottom air exit, which on the Krill is a beautifully molded exit in the bottom of the fuse with the appropriate low pressure lip on the lower cowl opening.

For the baffles I again used the CF/balsa laminate. The flat plates (left & right) attach to small blind-nut stand-offs glued to the cowling, while the rear air dam is attached to the upper cowling in the same manner. this way I can remove either section of cowl (top or bottom) independently.

For a little bit of bling, I glued thin aluminum flashing to the flat plates and buffed them to a mirror finish. These are the only pieces seen when the top cowl is in place.
DSC00920.JPG DSC00924.JPG DSC00926.JPG DSC03501.JPG DSC03504.JPG

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
I checked all my incidences (wings and stabs) and they were at 0 degrees. From flight reports of others it was recommended that +1 degree (leading edge up) of incidence should be added to the horizontal stabilizers. The Krill uses a CF sleeve in the fuse and CF tubes in the stabs to locate the incidence. There is no way to easily adjust this since they are already glued in place in the fuse and the stabs.

I had a CF arrow shaft that was smaller than the sleeve and when positioned at 12 o'clock in the sleeve set the stabs exactly at +1 when they were slid over the arrow shaft. So....I carved out a hardwood spacer to keep the shaft at 12 o'clock in the fuse sleeve.

Then cut off the CF tubes in the stabs flush with the root rib. Now the stabs slide over the arrow shaft as they snug up against the fuse. Luckily the I.D. of the CF stab tubes are a perfect fit for the O.D. of the arrow shafts...VOILA!
DSC01242.JPG DSC01243.JPG DSC01244.JPG DSC01245.JPG DSC01247.JPG

Mikeq

150cc
Earle you never cease to amaze me..your modification to achieve the +1 incidence just shows how detailed you are in the build...I'm wondering if your motivation for doing this is in keeping it scale or you expect a noticeable difference while flying the model?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Earle you never cease to amaze me..your modification to achieve the +1 incidence just shows how detailed you are in the build...I'm wondering your motivation for doing this is in keeping it scale or you expect a noticeable difference while flying the model?
A little of both maybe? Plus, I think he just likes to "show" us up with his superior awesomeness. LOL...J/K Earle.