• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 35% Krill Extra 330SC....CUSTOM-ARF!!!

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
OK, I said that I was gonna start a thread so here goes...I figured since I just got my first point over yonder, I'd start my first thread on GIANT SCALE NEWS!!!!!!!!!

Also, since I've had this plane for two years now and still haven’t finished it....maybe this will light a fire, eh!

A little background: Personally I think the Extra 330SC is THE finest looking modern aerobatic plane, plus it has spectacular performance and has done very well at the World Championship level. I considered getting a Comp-ARF 330SC but when Krill brought out their version I took one look at it and knew that was the one I wan’t! Krill got the fuselage and canopy shape just about perfect, including the landing gear and built-in fairings. They did take liberties from the full-scale in the placement of the horizontal stab and size of the control surfaces. Still….a beautiful looking model!

You can see the similarities of the full-scale vs the CARF and Krill here;

Comparison profiles - All 3.jpg

My plan on this thread is to post pics and descriptions of stuff I've done to the Krill to bring everyone up to its present state. Stay tuned if you're interested!!!
highly_amused.png

Last edited:

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Gotta keep up with the Forgues !!!
encouragement.png

OK....Color Scheme Options: Buy a stock scheme, replicate a full scale or design an original? Although Krill does some nice in-the-mold paint schemes, the ones I’ve seen vary in finish quality and ALL have mold seams on just about major piece. With that in mind it didn’t take me long to decide to do a custom scheme, so I ordered an all white version from Chief (which also saved about $200).

I'll just call her "Snow White"....for now....
DSC09430LR.jpg DSC09423LR.jpg

Last edited:

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
The more the merrier!!

I considered designing my own scheme, but decided I’d like to replicate my friend Mike Goulian’s Extra when he was sponsored by Castrol Aviator. I did that with my old 3DHobbyShop 35% Extra and loved the look of it on the ground as well as in flight.

Although Mike’s plane has been wearing the Goodyear/Whelen scheme for the past couple of years, I still like the Castrol scheme….it has good color combos, shows well in the air and the white lower portion of the fuselage makes it look even longer than it is. Plus, since that scheme is retired and will never change, I can replicate it as it was, and forever will be, versus the Goodyear/Whelen paint, which has already been changed a couple of times. The other negative for me on that scheme was the silver rear of the fuse tends to disappear against many common sky colors…at least for my old eyes.

So....this is what it will look like when finished...
330SC top view in tight turn.jpg Taxiing 2.jpg

Last edited: